Will Chorus and Record Ergos shift Double & Triple?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Me

Will 10 spd camp ergo shifters work with both double and triple cranks if the proper deraillers are
used or do I need to buy a special Triple STI unit like I do with Dura Ace?

> Will 10 spd camp ergo shifters work with both double and triple cranks if the proper deraillers
> are used or do I need to buy a special Triple STI unit like I do with Dura Ace?

Campy uses the same shifters for triple and double. BTW you don't have to use the proper front
derailleur, because of the non-indexed left shifter you can use any derailleur which is specced for
the gears you're using. Hey, you can use almost any crankset as well.

"Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Will 10 spd camp ergo shifters work with both double and triple cranks if the proper deraillers
> are used or do I need to buy a special Triple STI unit like I do with Dura Ace?

so I could use a campy record ergo's with a triple ultegra 9 or chorus 10?

anyone know how to make campy 10 cassettes fit shimano 9 wheels or is that just not possible?

"Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Will 10 spd camp ergo shifters work with both double and triple cranks
if
> > the proper deraillers are used or do I need to buy a special Triple STI
unit
> > like I do with Dura Ace?
>
> Campy uses the same shifters for triple and double. BTW you don't have to
use the proper front derailleur, because of the
> non-indexed left shifter you can use any derailleur which is specced for
the gears you're using. Hey, you can use almost any
> crankset as well.
>
>
> "Me" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Will 10 spd camp ergo shifters work with both double and triple cranks
if
> > the proper deraillers are used or do I need to buy a special Triple STI
unit
> > like I do with Dura Ace?
> >
> >
>

Me wrote:
> so I could use a campy record ergo's with a triple ultegra 9 or chorus 10?
>
> anyone know how to make campy 10 cassettes fit shimano 9 wheels or is that just not possible?
>

Sorry, not possible. Different spline pattern. But conversion cassettes are available.

Rob Strickland

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 10:36:14 -0000, "Me" <[email protected]> wrote:

>so I could use a campy record ergo's with a triple ultegra 9 or chorus 10?
>
>anyone know how to make campy 10 cassettes fit shimano 9 wheels or is that just not possible?
>
>
With 10 sp Ergo shifters you can shift Campy 10 and Shimano 9. A
Cam[y 9 cassette can also be respaced to work on a 10 sp system.

You can't get the Campy cogs onto the hub body of a Shimano hub because the splines are different.
You can put an American Classic 10 sp conversion cassette on the Shimano hub.

Me asks-<< Will 10 spd camp ergo shifters work with both double and triple cranks if the proper
deraillers are used or do I need to buy a special Triple STI unit like I do with Dura Ace?
>><BR><BR>

Nothing special needed, Campagnolo ERGO has been double and triple compatible, all the left levers,
from the first day of introduction, way back in 1991 or so, until today.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

In article <[email protected]>, Qui si parla Campagnolo
<[email protected]> wrote:
>Me-<< so I could use a campy record ergo's with a triple ultegra 9 or chorus 10? >><BR><BR>
>
>That is correct, you can use any front der, crank combo-
>

_ Just suppose one had a pathelogical adversion to index shifting, could you get two left side
Ergo's to shift both front and rear?

_ I know I'm hopelessly lost in the past and index shifting is just so much better... I have to
say, I do like all these new-fangled pins and ramps, but indexing seems to cause more problems than
it solves.

_ Booker C. Bense

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2

iQCVAwUBP9YAW2TWTAjn5N/lAQEnpAQAmww8IbUoAc7hzADqXwuDTv0atk6C5AUL
sLY/GO1IdltnhmKnidsIgPiHL/Nqu/ADCEHXw45yccjHIs28Z6xjZxeaWirJdWmK
fHDfZ9xrjpxAv9dDxXJTPTGxKiSvg3LPDzwc5LRMONoFrfUCOIUGCiyeYQvWCGjF v1IZsh6g99I= =YThI -----END PGP
SIGNATURE-----

[email protected] wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
>
> In article <[email protected]>, Qui si parla Campagnolo
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Me-<< so I could use a campy record ergo's with a triple ultegra 9 or chorus 10? >><BR><BR>
>>
>> That is correct, you can use any front der, crank combo-
>>
>
> _ Just suppose one had a pathelogical adversion to index shifting, could you get two left side
> Ergo's to shift both front and rear?
>
> _ I know I'm hopelessly lost in the past and index shifting is just so much better... I have to
> say, I do like all these new-fangled pins and ramps, but indexing seems to cause more problems
> than it solves.
>
> _ Booker C. Bense

No because the left ERGO shifter isn't indexed but it also isn't a pure friction shifter. It has a
series of detents (sp?) that gradually shift the derailleur. About three clicks for each chainring.
It's really more like indexed with multiple trim positions for each ring. On the other hand, I don't
see that indexing causes any problems but makes shifting so much more of a no-brainer than friction
shifting. I'm not very mechanically talented but I set up my Shimano 9 speed indexed bar-end
shifters in about 15 minutes. Shifts perfectly every time. No more friction shifting for me.

Rob Strickland

[email protected] wrote:

> _ Just suppose one had a pathelogical adversion to index shifting, could you get two left side

No, even if two left-hand Ergos (or l-h ratchets) could be used simultaneously somehow (I think
not). Left-hand ratchet steps are too large for fine tuning when hooked up to a rear derailleur.
Rear der. moves more per mm of cable pulled than front derailleurs do so you get indexing whether
you like it or not - just the wrong indexing.

> _ I know I'm hopelessly lost in the past and index shifting is just so much better

Friction may be smoother and have fewer compatibility problems but it requires more attention and
can be slower (depending on systems).

... I have to say, I do like all these
> new-fangled pins and ramps, but indexing seems to cause more problems than it solves.

For many years, I had the options of good quality friction and indexed with the same 6-speed
downtube levers. I could switch between modes at the twist of a ring and I was fully competent with
friction shifting from previous experience, but I always kept on on indexed. Why? Because indexing
is so much better - especially with 8+ speeds. Yes there can be problems but the joy of good
indexing makes it worth solving them.

> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: 2.6.2

Plain text would be appreciated, thanks. What is PGP? Something new-fangled? ;-)

~PB

Me wrote:

> so I could use a campy record ergo's with a triple ultegra 9 or chorus 10?
>
> anyone know how to make campy 10 cassettes fit shimano 9 wheels or is that just not possible?

Ergos can use any front changer and any crank as long as the changer can span the range.

Campagnolo Ten Ergo, Campagnolo rear changer and Shimano pattern rear hub? There are _several_
products for that. We stock the American Classic Ten cassettes which I like a lot
- cheap and effective.

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

[email protected] wrote: -snip-
-snip-

You would have to pull the right side shifter blade out away from the bike ( which might be hard
with human fingers) to downshift and the right side release lever would be in the middle of your
palm, but otherwise, sure!

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Status
Not open for further replies.