Will Cycling Help Me With My Hyperhidrosis?

drbu

Jun 24, 2015
I have a condition where I sweat way too much. My pits will be damp even in an AC room (gross, I know).
I'm relatively new to cycling and I was wondering if anyone's noticed a change in how much they sweat after they started?

Reactions: nonicenevecs86
I know someone with hyperhidrosis, and I wasn't aware it could be treated with or affected by exercise. I would think biking would be super irritating, actually, because sweaty hands would make gripping the handle bars slippery and uncomfortable. Have you had any issues with that while riding previously? On the other hand, you generate your own breeze so maybe the base level sweat wouldn't seem as bad as long as it was cool and dry out, because it would evaporate faster than normal.

CoolCat said:
I know someone with hyperhidrosis, and I wasn't aware it could be treated with or affected by exercise. I would think biking would be super irritating, actually, because sweaty hands would make gripping the handle bars slippery and uncomfortable. Have you had any issues with that while riding previously? On the other hand, you generate your own breeze so maybe the base level sweat wouldn't seem as bad as long as it was cool and dry out, because it would evaporate faster than normal.
My palms don't sweat. The rest of my body does.
I heard that exercising more would help improve your circulation, making you sweat less. I don't know if that's true though.

Cycling is more convenient for me than other sports, so I was curious.

Generally I sweat a bit more when cycling compared to other forms of activity such as walking or jogging. But usually this difference is so marginal that I don't often notice it. Much depends on the weather and how much I push myself when cycling. Naturally the harder I cycle, the tougher the terrain when I'm mountain biking, the more I'll sweat but I guess that's obvious.

drbu said:
My palms don't sweat. The rest of my body does.
I heard that exercising more would help improve your circulation, making you sweat less. I don't know if that's true though.

Cycling is more convenient for me than other sports, so I was curious.
It sounds like if your doctor said that exercise could help then it would be worth a shot. It's likely that no one on here would be able to give you a definitive answer, in that it isn't a particularly common condition and everyone will respond differently to each type of treatment, and no one on here is likely to give out medical advice. If you doctor recommends exercise, you should try it out.

I don't think it will help you with hyperhidrosis. I have the same issue as you, and I constantly sweat no matter how much activity I've been doing. Cycling/Gym don't seem to make any difference to me, I've been exercising for half a year religiously and I still sweat a lot.