Will cycling kill the President?

fascistpig

May 17, 2004
When the TV show West Wing first started out, we were introduced to the President character after he had ridden his mountain bike into a tree. Then comes this story:

http://wireservice.wired.com/wired/story.asp?section=Breaking&storyId=868436&tw=wn_wire_story

Bush Suffers Minor Abrasions in Fall from Bicycle

CRAWFORD, Texas (Reuters) - President Bush suffered minor abrasions after falling off a mountain bike while cycling on his Texas ranch on Saturday, the White House said.

The 57-year-old Republican president had cycled 16 miles of a 17-mile afternoon bike course when he toppled over while riding downhill on what the White House described as soil loosened by recent rainfall.

He had minor abrasions and scratches on his chin, upper lip, his nose, right hand and both knees," White House spokesman Trent Duffy told reporters.

Bush's physician, Dr. Richard Tubb, was with the president at the time. Tubb attended to his injuries and later reported Bush to be "fine," Duffy said.

The facial scratches and abrasions come two days before Bush is scheduled to make a major prime-time televised speech on Monday to lay out his strategy for Iraq, as the troubled Middle Eastern nation approaches a U.S.-imposed June 30 deadline for handover of sovereignty.

There was no immediate word on whether the injuries would cause the president to change the timing of the speech, which the White House has billed as an address not only to Americans but to a "global audience."

Bush was in Texas to celebrate his daughter Jenna's graduation from the University of Texas. He and first lady Laura Bush were scheduled to fly to Connecticut on Sunday to celebrate the Yale graduation of Jenna's twin sister, Barbara.

The president, who has publicly complained about having to cut back on running because of a sore right knee, took up mountain-biking as an exercise alternative, aides have said. Bush had a knee examination last December that showed wear and tear to the joint.

Bush's rival in this year's presidential election, Democratic candidate John Kerry, who fell off a bicycle and grazed his hand earlier this month, wished the president well after learning of Saturday's spill.

"I hope he's okay," said the 60-year-old Massachusetts senator, who took a bike ride in Boston on Saturday but managed to stay upright.

Bush, who was wearing a safety helmet and mouth guard when the mishap occurred, declined the offer of a car ride home from Secret Service agents and instead pedaled the remaining mile to his house, Duffy said.

"It's been raining a lot. The topsoil was loose," the White House spokesman noted.

Bush was the subject of a presidential safety scare in 2002, when he fainted after choking on a pretzel while watching a football game on television.

Will the current Pres and, possibly, the future Pres, wind up killing themselves while cycling? Maybe they should switch to road bikes?

I hear they have a very challenging 10-day cross-country event in Iraq annually at the end of May.

I'll pay the entry fee.

;)

how you respond to this one. Even the suggestion of sending him a bag of pretzels as a get-well gesture may get you an all-expense-paid one-way trip to Guantanamo Bay...

I'll bet the goings on there make Abu Ghraib look like Disneyland, but we'll probably never see the pictures.

TD

Originally posted by Beastt
I hear they have a very challenging 10-day cross-country event in Iraq annually at the end of May.

I'll pay the entry fee.

;)

Long time no see Beasst :)

Please feed him the prezels and NO water at all!!!!!!!

:p Alice x

I love how his flacks blamed it on wet ground. It hadn't rained there in a week. He's such a pathological liar he can't even say "I got going to fast and wiped out in a turn." Assclown doesn't even describe it.

As the article mentioned, John Kerry did crash several days before. Just FYI/reminder.

Yeah, that's almost as good as that dolt Kerry blaming the face plant he took on the slopes in Colorado on a Secret Service agent. What a piece of work.

Must add to shopping list
1) New 2004 Campy record Groupset
2) Giant TCR 0
3) 1 mouth gaurd

Originally posted by Jakebrake
Yeah, that's almost as good as that dolt Kerry blaming the face plant he took on the slopes in Colorado on a Secret Service agent. What a piece of work.

Hey, maybe in some strange moment, they'll crash into each other, then we'll be rid of the both of them!! :D

Originally posted by fascistpig
Then Cheney will be in charge...shudders at the thought.

Yeah, till November anyways, then he can go back to being the grim reaper ;)

Somehow, I can't picture Kerry or Bush doing anything that's actually fun for the sake of being fun. I'd imagine that political consultants got both of them on bikes.

Now Clinton, OTOH, he knew a good time :D

Originally posted by tyler_derden
how you respond to this one. Even the suggestion of sending him a bag of pretzels as a get-well gesture may get you an all-expense-paid one-way trip to Guantanamo Bay...
- AND -
Originally posted by Fixey
Must add to shopping list
1) New 2004 Campy record Groupset
2) Giant TCR 0
3) 1 mouth gaurd

Those really make me laugh!!!

Thank you

Kinda makes you wonder if they really ride or if they each rode just once or twice to try to gather a few extra votes. If they actually do enjoy riding, I suppose that's a good thing except that it means they're both accident prone. Otherwise they're just liars and that was pretty much a given already.

;)