Will electrical tape adhesive damage carbon fiber fork?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by John Black, Apr 29, 2003.

  1. John Black

    John Black Guest

    Today I tranferred my cyclometer to my current bike which has a carbon fiber fork. The fork's
    irregular shape prevented me from using the plastic clip that holds the sensor onto the fork.
    Instead, I used electrical tape to attach the sensor to the fork.

    Will the tape's adhesive damage the fork? Where can one get a plastic clip for an Avocet HB-100
    sensor that will handle a Columbus carve fork? Thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. If the carbon fork is painted, even if it's a clearcoat, I can't see electrical tape doing it any
    harm. Probably even if it's not painted.

    "John Black" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Today I tranferred my cyclometer to my current bike which has a carbon fiber fork. The fork's
    > irregular shape prevented me from using the plastic clip that holds the sensor onto the fork.
    > Instead, I used electrical tape to attach the sensor to the fork.
    >
    > Will the tape's adhesive damage the fork? Where can one get a plastic clip for an Avocet HB-100
    > sensor that will handle a Columbus carve fork? Thanks in advance.

  3. In article <[email protected]>, John Black
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Today I tranferred my cyclometer to my current bike which has a carbon fiber fork. The fork's
    >irregular shape prevented me from using the plastic clip that holds the sensor onto the fork.
    >Instead, I used electrical tape to attach the sensor to the fork.
    >
    >Will the tape's adhesive damage the fork?

    No.

    > Where can one get a plastic clip for an Avocet HB-100 sensor that will handle a Columbus
    > carve fork?

    Don't know. Call Avocet to see if they make one. Or re-engineer it with zip ties.

    --Paul

  4. Bosaci

    Bosaci Guest

    "John Black" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Today I tranferred my cyclometer to my current bike which has a carbon fiber fork. The fork's
    > irregular shape prevented me from using the plastic clip that holds the sensor onto the fork.
    > Instead, I used electrical tape to attach the sensor to the fork.
    >
    > Will the tape's adhesive damage the fork? Where can one get a plastic clip for an Avocet HB-100
    > sensor that will handle a Columbus carve fork? Thanks in advance.

    Only if left on over night.

  5. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "John Black" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Today I tranferred my cyclometer to my current bike which
    has a carbon
    > fiber fork. The fork's irregular shape prevented me from
    using the
    > plastic clip that holds the sensor onto the fork. Instead,
    I used
    > electrical tape to attach the sensor to the fork.
    >
    > Will the tape's adhesive damage the fork? Where can one
    get a plastic
    > clip for an Avocet HB-100 sensor that will handle a
    Columbus carve
    > fork? Thanks in advance.

    Most carbon parts are made with epoxy resin, which is pretty impervious to most things -- including
    many strong solvents. I wouldn't go experimenting with those, but don't worry about everyday stuff
    like tape.

    Matt O.