Will Jan ever win another Tour?

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by Powerful Pete, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Given that he is no longer a spring chicken, and that there are a bunch of younger riders who definitely appear to be hungrier?

Does he have the motivation to go for it? I do not think so.

Tags:

2. drebro

drebro New Member

I don't think so. He was fourth last year, and looks to be headed for the same this year, and I do not see him getting any more swift in the mountains or the time trials, and Basso, Cunego, and Valverde likely will be getting faster in both.

3. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

Lance won't be around next year, but clearly JU has very tough competition from the young guns. Basso, Cunego, Valverde, Mancebo, etc. will be hunting next year.

I voted yes, though, b/c I still believe that Jan has the natural talent to win another Tour. If he trains hard and avoids accidents, I think he can take anyone.

4. tinks

tinks New Member

Yes. Ullrich in top form can take on anyone.

5. Ullefan

Ullefan New Member

That kind of talk loses its spark when it's been said for the past 8 years. I've lost faith, I think he's past it, so NO.

6. sonicman

sonicman New Member

No, he´s body doesn´t allow him to match these guys.

7. janiejones

janiejones New Member

I agree, the right conditions and if he's in form - I think he could do it for sure. There are a few "ifs" I know, but stranger things have happened. And who knows with Lance not there next year - it might give a little extra motivation.

8. tinks

tinks New Member

But those are always the sweetest moments in sport; when someone wins against the odds. When a champion finally realises their full potential or wins the trophy that has eluded them. Think about Hicham El Guerrouj finally winning Olympic gold or Keiren Perkins winning the 1500 in Atlanta.

Ullrich has proven that he has what it takes to win and he has the potential to win again. I for one will be cheering him on. You do what you like :p

9. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

Ullrich seems to be that rare sort of athlete who loses against the odds. Time and again.

It sucks, b/c I think Ullrich is probably a really great guy. He just seems to lack the killer spirit.

Everyone wants to see a nice guy win. Unfortunately, nice guys don't always have the drive to win. Armstrong is not a nice guy, at least to his opponents. But he knows how to win. Same with Hinault.

10. DmanSlam

DmanSlam New Member

I think the answer is most probably not. There are a few good riders in the making, outside of Basso already.

I think if Jan were to work for Vino, we could see a powerful domestique in Ulrich with Vino contending. (this probably sounds like a *slap* in the face for Ulle fans).

Don't know how Vino's time-trialing skills are, but I think the role-reversal might have merit.

11. DV1976

DV1976 New Member

If he lacks something it is patience/persistence and attention to detail. And these in comparison to LA. His interview in procycling speaks volumes

12. Oytun Calapover

Oytun Calapover New Member

Vino's TT skill are definitely above average even though he is not a LA or JU when it comes to TT, but the more important thing is the fact that Vino actually proved that he can't be a GC winner in TdF unless he dramatically changes his style and tactics. This year, he rode like Virenque. Always going for one-time individual wins and glory. He didn't do anything for the team, specifically for Jan. Everybody blames T-Mobile for chasing him at the beginning of the last climb on Saturday; however, he was the one, who made the mistake in my opinion. They were three against one at the begginning of a very long and hard climb. They could have waited a couple of kilometers and had the "three pronged attack" that they had been talking about, but Vino went on his own again for 300 meters of glory and totally disrupted the rhytm of the team. Everybody saw what happened afterwards. He got immediately dropped. I think he is wasting a lot of climbing talent by playing the "yo-yo" game.

Oytun

13. snyper0311

snyper0311 New Member

Not just no, but HELL NO! He is too weak mentally to win. Is he a good rider?- yes. Is he able to win other great events?- maybe. He has so much raw tallent but finds a way, mentally, to blow it all out of the water. He might as well retire wtih LA.

14. mareblu

mareblu New Member

I think he could win

15. MJtje

MJtje New Member

Nope, it's basso for a few years after this...........:cool:

16. Virenque

Virenque New Member

No..there are few other much younger riders who can win it. Ullrich will maybe win Tour de Suisse or something but nothing more.:)

17. renoster

renoster New Member

There were at least three occasions in the Pyrenees over the weekend when it looked like Ullrich and Kloden were reeling in Vino. Paul Sherwen was going nuts on OLN. He could not believe it. If vino goes early and builds up enough of a break, Lance has to catch him. Ullrich and Kloden sit on Lance while he hunts down vino. No problem with that scenario. Except....

Ullrich and Kloden may have felt (quite legitimately) that they would not have been able to match Lance's acceleration and would have been dropped.

Having said that, on stage 15, Jan showed some huge heart, methodically chasing down Basso/Armstrong after each Basso attack.

I do not think Jan will win another tour. I think he is not quite focussed and ruthless enough. There are some scary youngsters like Valverde, Popovych, etc. who will take over from Basso, who in my opinion after watching him closely in the Giro and the Tour so far, is pure unadulturated CLASS.

18. spockroyaltea

spockroyaltea New Member

although i do agree with that statement, i voted "no". he is a great rider with a lot of natural talent but it doesnt seem that he will ever be in top form again.
    maybe next year without LA, winning a tour will seem to be a bit more of a reality for ullrich and he will finally step up to the challenge after so many years...but i think basso will be replacing armstrong next year.