Will justice be done?

Not wanting to start anything here, and I am more than vocal at the behaviour that we have to put up with as cyclists on the roads, but how can you know (unless you were there) that this truck driver was at fault?

The article says that "his bike was clipped and he fell under the trailer of a truck also travelling north in the outside lane." It does not mention who or what clipped him, it could have been another bike or another vehicle and it does not mention if the guy was riding within the bunch, or if he was too far away...

However, considering the article says that it happened south of Sydney (and for those of you not in the area, it is well to the north), I wouldn't take it as given that the article is correct.

I hate hearing about any cycling accidents, and I am all for punishing drivers who do the wrong thing, but we do not know that here, and it does not do the cycling world any credit to go off when things like this happen without knowing the facts.

dain2772 said:
Not wanting to start anything here, and I am more than vocal at the behaviour that we have to put up with as cyclists on the roads, but how can you know (unless you were there) that this truck driver was at fault?

The article says that "his bike was clipped and he fell under the trailer of a truck also travelling north in the outside lane." It does not mention who or what clipped him, it could have been another bike or another vehicle and it does not mention if the guy was riding within the bunch, or if he was too far away...

However, considering the article says that it happened south of Sydney (and for those of you not in the area, it is well to the north), I wouldn't take it as given that the article is correct.

I hate hearing about any cycling accidents, and I am all for punishing drivers who do the wrong thing, but we do not know that here, and it does not do the cycling world any credit to go off when things like this happen without knowing the facts.
Truck passing cyclists? If there is a passing accident, the truck is at fault unless the cyclist(s) was/were doing something remarkably stupid. I'll concede that there is a small chance of that.
A truck is a deadly weapon and cyclists are highly vulnerable. It absolutely behoves any truck driver to avoid placing at risk any cyclist that is being overtaken, stupid behaviour notwithstanding.
Edit: If the cyclist went down due to wheel overlap, that would also potentially get the truck driver off the hook.

Also, if he fell under the trailer, rather than the truck itself, it suggests that he wasn't hit by the front of the truck. However, he could have been clipped by the side of the truck causing the fall, which would be the truck driver's fault for not allowing enough room.

I guess we have to wait for the accident report.

EDIT: New article from different paper. It would appear as though the truck MAY have veered over, which would make it their fault.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22903909-5001021,00.html

dain2772 said:
Also, if he fell under the trailer, rather than the truck itself, it suggests that he wasn't hit by the front of the truck. However, he could have been clipped by the side of the truck causing the fall, which would be the truck driver's fault for not allowing enough room.

I guess we have to wait for the accident report.

EDIT: New article from different paper. It would appear as though the truck MAY have veered over, which would make it their fault.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22903909-5001021,00.html
I think most reasonable people would agree that any vehicle, especially a truck, should pass at least 1-1.5m away from any cyclist. Believe it or not, this has been legislated in several states of the US. If this maxim is followed, only cyclist stupidity can allow for a passing accident. I think that such stupidity would be unusual in a training bunch, wheel overlap accident notwithstanding. I shall be very surprised if we all end up feeling that the cyclist was at fault.

My understanding is that it was in fact a vehicle in front of the truck that clipped the cyclist and he fell under the truck