Will Klöden léave Astana

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by cyclingheroes, Aug 11, 2007.

1. Fisher79

Fisher79 New Member

I don't know. He did get a (cautious) green light for the World's (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2007/aug07/aug13news2) so that could help him out.

With Astana out of the Vuelta, canceling their training camp, and Biver being summoned by ProTour, things don't look so good, but even if the team does survive, what are the chances of them getting invited to the Tour next year? If Klöden really wants to ride the Tour next year, he's going to have to ride for another team in my opinon. But the thing that I'm wondering about is not whether he'll be able to sign onto another team, but instead if he'll be able to sign as "captain" of said team. There aren't many teams looking for their big GC contender...but Gerolsteiner might be a possibility?

true

2. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

TM's pr department did a good job....

3. Cobblestones

Cobblestones New Member

Somehow, I can't see Kloden at Gerolsteiner. Maybe Cofidis? The other German/Italian team, Milram, is a sprinter team, but Zabel isn't getting younger (although he's still remarkably competitive). Maybe they might be interested in a GC man for a change? Btw. what are the rumors about AC and LL? Levi did ride for Rabobank before, and with Raz gone, Menchov getting old, and possibly Bruyneel going there, would it be a long shot to assume JH might bring one (or both) along with him?

4. Fisher79

Fisher79 New Member

The thing about Klöden is that he’ll be 33 in time for the Tour next year, meaning 2008 will be his best year to go for the win. So, if a new team hires him, they’ll probably be only looking towards the next year (If things go well, Klöden wins, retires (probably) and then the team goes on its way). So Cofidis (which has Chavanel – but he’s only 28), Gerolsteiner (Schumacher is 26!) and even Rabobank (Menchov is only 29) might be a possibility because they could set aside their GC guy for the year and center on Klöden. Milram might work, but they would have to restructure the team a bit….

Levi’s chance of signing is kind of similar to Klöden’s since he’ll be 34 next year and it will probably be his last chance to win. From what I recall, he didn’t really like Rabo, hence the move to Gerolsteiner, but hey beggars can’t be choosers; he’ll probably take whatever he can get. Apparently JB got the offer in 2003 and I could have sworn I just read something about Rabo hiring a new DS, so who knows if the offer is still valid and/or if JB will take it. But if AC does get hired at Rabo :eek:…talk about bad publicity! Booting Ras, only to hire his rival! But even Sean Yates said AC might have a hard time getting signed with the suspicion that looms over him. I guess the thing Klöden has going for him is that he's never been directly implicated in anything (despite the whole Men in Black thing) and also if Biver keeps peddling this "We were naive" talk, Klodi might be able to walk away from Astana okay...

Anyway, Menchov did ride a decent tour…who knows how he would have done if he wasn’t riding for Ras. With Valv, Vino, and Kash out, he stands a really good chance at the Vuelta so depending on how he does, maybe Rabo will be fine with keeping him as their #1 guy.

5. whiteboytrash

whiteboytrash New Member

He's right... the only team dodgy enough and lacking in ethics was Discovery.... without them riders like Basso and Kid Contador have no hope......

6. Cobblestones

Cobblestones New Member

I don't think so. Remember AC's 'press conference' last week. Beside Bruyneel a Spanish official was present. I think AC is quite employable in Spain. He and Valv could make a nice pair of leaders at Caisse for example.

7. ??? 3/4 ? 1/4

??? 3/4 ? 1/4 Banned

What does their PR department have to do with his response in an interview?

8. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

That everybody believes that its still 'suspicious' that he left TM as they started their next Schmidt/Heinrich programm (the old programm was the one of the nineties....:eek: , the new one the one from 2007 which did not cath Sinkewitz).

The PR department worked hard to destroy Klödens reputation after he left TM. You don't leave TM and win the Tour.

9. ??? 3/4 ? 1/4

??? 3/4 ? 1/4 Banned

What I posted had nothing to do with that. He was asked a question and responded in a manner that does not infuse confidence in thinking he has not doped.

10. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

I read the interview. Now if a rider states that he is tested by the UCI, Swiss Cycling etc. and that is not convincing.... the question is... Does that say something about the rider or the system?

I found his anwers correct. It's hard to do interviews if a communication giant (far more than just tele communication) is sending their pr boys out against you.

11. ??? 3/4 ? 1/4

??? 3/4 ? 1/4 Banned

So if you were clean and asked the same questions about leaving a team just as it was implimenting a new anti-doping program, you would simply say you can be tested by this this and this organization and then say it nonsense? Essentially he avoided the question. He could have said, "no, this is the exact reason I left" or "I have never doped" but instead he gave a list and then called it nonsense. Note that he never denied anything.

12. Doctor.House

Doctor.House New Member

Absurd hypothetical. There are NO clean riders.

Why not ask what your unethical tooth fairly might do?

13. fbircher

fbircher New Member

Well, not just Disco, but all the other teams that employed most of the other 100+ dopers connected to Fuentes, plus all the teams that had doping programs of their own or riders doping individually with doctors other than Fuentes. there was nothing unique about Disco's lack of ethics ib hiring dodgy riders. Although I suspect AC was doped to the gills, the actual evidence connecting him to Fuentes was far less direct than many other cylists who nevertheless found employement at other teams. Admittedly, the hiring of Basso was ridiculous, given the evidence that was known at the time.

14. Doctor.House

Doctor.House New Member

Not so.

Al Contadoper is confirmed dirty.

No question whatsoever. He should be DQed soon.

How is Roid Landis doing? Will Geoghegan?

15. fbircher

fbircher New Member

But by your standard, they are ALL "confirmed" dirty, so every team in the world is equally guilty.

100% doped riders = 100% dirty teams

See how this works?

16. Doctor.House

Doctor.House New Member

Dummies.

Pharma lotto.

Not everyone has the same research drugs, same methods or responds to doping in the same ways.

Doping wrecks the analysis.

17. wolfix

wolfix New Member

Will this race be available on UTube?

18. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

I say we petition Versus to cover the event live. We need a pre-show where each contestant badmouths the other, like pro wrestling.

It started on an Internet forum, but now it's personal.
    From a knockdown, dragout flame war to real life competition.
    Two warriors step into the velodrome of death, one man leaves.
    Let's get it on!

19. Doctor.House

Doctor.House New Member

Just picked up my new track bike today.

A few test sessions to tighten up the rigging--then whamo!

U-Tube is fine with me. Have Steve from Atlanta's female hormones ready.

See you at the Velodrome in September.

Game on!

20. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Klöden said in another dozen interviews he never doped.

Remember the question was about testing. He explained from whom he is tested and that its nonense that he left because of TM's programm. Sound as a good answer to me. Do you know how often Klöden has answered the same question since he left TM, I gues about 1000 times. I don't even ask Andreas such a question because after having answered that question 1000 times I can't expect a decent answer. Pro Cycling can be very happy with his answer, I wouldn't have the pacience to answer the same question every interview knowing that the pr boys of my last sponsor took care that everybody would ask this question.

By the way, why doesn't anybody question the fact that Sinkewitz wasn't caught by the TM programm? Why doesn't anybody question the fact that the Heinrich/Schmidt programm is written by the same guys who wrote the TM programm in the nineties?