Will missing chainring bolts be bad?

Squid-In-Traini

Guest
My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and he told me he hears this
noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that 2 of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3
(rearranging them so they were as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the missing
ones are critical? He rides casually.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and he told me he hears this
> noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that 2 of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3
> (rearranging them so they were as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the
> missing ones are critical? He rides casually.

Yes, if he loses another couple he won't be able to ride home!

James

In news:[email protected], Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> typed:
> My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and he told me he hears this
> noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that 2 of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3
> (rearranging them so they were as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the
> missing ones are critical? He rides casually.

Yes, I've had a chainring fold under load from a missing bolt.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and
he
> told me he hears this noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that
2
> of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3 (rearranging them so they
were
> as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the missing ones are critical? He rides
> casually.

They will be missed if he puts just the right amount of pressure on the crank at a point where the
chainring could be flexed and bent ( folded ). Now the chances of that are probably slim, but
Newton's law says that it will happen when you least want it to. Like pedaling hard to flee a dog,
or quickly cross a busy intersection. Or when he is wearing sandals and shorts and the chainring
gouges his leg wide open.

Just go to a bike shop - they can dig some out of the parts bin for a couple of bucks.

In news:[email protected], WiScottsin <[email protected]> typed:

> Now the chances of that are probably slim, but Newton's law says that it will happen when you
> least want it to.

<pedant>

Murphy's Law

</pedant>

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"WiScottsin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... -snip-
> . . . but Newton's law says that it will happen when you least want it to.
-snip-

I don't recall than in Newton. Did you mean Murphy?

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:08:25 +0000, WiScottsin wrote:

> "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and
> he
>> told me he hears this noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that
> 2
>> of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3 (rearranging them so they
> were
>> as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the missing ones are critical? He rides
>> casually.

You are talking about a dollar in parts. Replace the bolts.

> They will be missed if he puts just the right amount of pressure on the crank at a point where the
> chainring could be flexed and bent ( folded ). Now the chances of that are probably slim, but
> Newton's law says that it will happen when you least want it to.

That is not Newton's law, but Murphy's. Attribute these fundamental laws to the discoverer.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems. _`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
(_)/ (_) |

> In news:[email protected], Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> typed:
> > My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and he told me he hears
> > this noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that 2 of the 5 are missing. I tightened
> > down the 3 (rearranging them so they were as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you
> > say the missing ones are critical? He rides casually.
>
> Yes, I've had a chainring fold under load from a missing bolt.

Yikes, will let him know ASAP.

Note, he has alu chainrings so that's even more worrisome.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Tony Raven wrote:
> In news:[email protected], Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> typed:
>
>>My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and he told me he hears this
>>noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that 2 of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3
>>(rearranging them so they were as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the
>>missing ones are critical? He rides casually.
>

> Yes, I've had a chainring fold under load from a missing bolt.

Same here... (not to me, someone I was riding with).

David

>My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and he told me he hears this
>noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that 2 of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3
>(rearranging them so they were as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the missing
>ones are critical? He rides casually.

Are you kidding? These are cheap and easy to get, so why risk it?
-----------------

WiScottsin wrote: <snip>
>Now the chances of that are probably slim, but Newton's law says that it will happen when you least
>want it to.
</snip>

Actually, I think that's Murphy's Law, Not Newton... ;-3)

In answer to the title question: "What do you reckon?" - with a sarcastic voice.

or "The fewer the better" (fewer missing that is with 0 missing being the perfect score)

Do you think the attachments are just there for decoration?

Mark Lee