Will missing chainring bolts be bad?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Squid-In-Traini, Jun 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and he told me he hears this
    noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that 2 of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3
    (rearranging them so they were as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the missing
    ones are critical? He rides casually.

--
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

Tags:

2. James Annan

James Annan Guest

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
    > My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and he told me he hears this
    > noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that 2 of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3
    > (rearranging them so they were as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the
    > missing ones are critical? He rides casually.

Yes, if he loses another couple he won't be able to ride home!

James

3. Tony Raven

Tony Raven Guest

In news:[email protected], Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> typed:
    > My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and he told me he hears this
    > noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that 2 of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3
    > (rearranging them so they were as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the
    > missing ones are critical? He rides casually.

Yes, I've had a chainring fold under load from a missing bolt.

Tony

--
    http://www.raven-family.com

"All truth goes through three steps: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
    Finally, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer

4. Wiscottsin

Wiscottsin Guest

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and
    he
    > told me he hears this noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that
    > of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3 (rearranging them so they
    were
    > as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the missing ones are critical? He rides
    > casually.
    >

They will be missed if he puts just the right amount of pressure on the crank at a point where the
    chainring could be flexed and bent ( folded ). Now the chances of that are probably slim, but
    Newton's law says that it will happen when you least want it to. Like pedaling hard to flee a dog,
    or quickly cross a busy intersection. Or when he is wearing sandals and shorts and the chainring
    gouges his leg wide open.

Just go to a bike shop - they can dig some out of the parts bin for a couple of bucks.

5. Tony Raven

Tony Raven Guest

In news:[email protected], WiScottsin <[email protected]> typed:
    >
    > Now the chances of that are probably slim, but Newton's law says that it will happen when you
    > least want it to.

<pedant>

Murphy's Law

</pedant>

Tony

--
    http://www.raven-family.com

"All truth goes through three steps: First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed.
    Finally, it is accepted as self-evident." Arthur Schopenhauer

6. Wiscottsin

Wiscottsin Guest

7. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

"WiScottsin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... -snip-
    > . . . but Newton's law says that it will happen when you least want it to.
    -snip-

I don't recall than in Newton. Did you mean Murphy?

--
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

8. On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:08:25 +0000, WiScottsin wrote:

>
    > "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and
    > he
    >> told me he hears this noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that
    > 2
    >> of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3 (rearranging them so they
    > were
    >> as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the missing ones are critical? He rides
    >> casually.

You are talking about a dollar in parts. Replace the bolts.

> They will be missed if he puts just the right amount of pressure on the crank at a point where the
    > chainring could be flexed and bent ( folded ). Now the chances of that are probably slim, but
    > Newton's law says that it will happen when you least want it to.

That is not Newton's law, but Murphy's. Attribute these fundamental laws to the discoverer.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems. _`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
    (_)/ (_) |

9. "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In news:[email protected], Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> typed:
    > > My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and he told me he hears
    > > this noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that 2 of the 5 are missing. I tightened
    > > down the 3 (rearranging them so they were as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you
    > > say the missing ones are critical? He rides casually.
    >
    > Yes, I've had a chainring fold under load from a missing bolt.

Yikes, will let him know ASAP.

Note, he has alu chainrings so that's even more worrisome.

--
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

10. David Kunz

David Kunz Guest

Tony Raven wrote:
    > In news:[email protected], Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> typed:
    >
    >>My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and he told me he hears this
    >>noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that 2 of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3
    >>(rearranging them so they were as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the
    >>missing ones are critical? He rides casually.
    >
    >
    > Yes, I've had a chainring fold under load from a missing bolt.

Same here... (not to me, someone I was riding with).

David

11. Wiscottsin

Wiscottsin Guest

12. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >
    >
    >My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and he told me he hears this
    >noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that 2 of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3
    >(rearranging them so they were as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the missing
    >ones are critical? He rides casually.

Are you kidding? These are cheap and easy to get, so why risk it?
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

13. WiScottsin wrote: <snip>
    >Now the chances of that are probably slim, but Newton's law says that it will happen when you least
    >want it to.
    </snip>

Actually, I think that's Murphy's Law, Not Newton... ;-3)

May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

14. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Guest

In answer to the title question: "What do you reckon?" - with a sarcastic voice.

or "The fewer the better" (fewer missing that is with 0 missing being the perfect score)

Do you think the attachments are just there for decoration?

Mark Lee

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.