Will missing chainring bolts be bad?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Squid-In-Traini, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and he told me he hears this
    noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that 2 of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3
    (rearranging them so they were as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the missing
    ones are critical? He rides casually.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

    Tags:

  2. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
    > My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and he told me he hears this
    > noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that 2 of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3
    > (rearranging them so they were as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the
    > missing ones are critical? He rides casually.

    Yes, if he loses another couple he won't be able to ride home!

    James

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> typed:
    > My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and he told me he hears this
    > noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that 2 of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3
    > (rearranging them so they were as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the
    > missing ones are critical? He rides casually.

    Yes, I've had a chainring fold under load from a missing bolt.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  4. Wiscottsin

    Wiscottsin Guest

    "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and
    he
    > told me he hears this noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that
    2
    > of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3 (rearranging them so they
    were
    > as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the missing ones are critical? He rides
    > casually.

    They will be missed if he puts just the right amount of pressure on the crank at a point where the
    chainring could be flexed and bent ( folded ). Now the chances of that are probably slim, but
    Newton's law says that it will happen when you least want it to. Like pedaling hard to flee a dog,
    or quickly cross a busy intersection. Or when he is wearing sandals and shorts and the chainring
    gouges his leg wide open.

    Just go to a bike shop - they can dig some out of the parts bin for a couple of bucks.

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], WiScottsin <[email protected]> typed:

    > Now the chances of that are probably slim, but Newton's law says that it will happen when you
    > least want it to.

    <pedant>

    Murphy's Law

    </pedant>

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  6. Wiscottsin

    Wiscottsin Guest

  7. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "WiScottsin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... -snip-
    > . . . but Newton's law says that it will happen when you least want it to.
    -snip-

    I don't recall than in Newton. Did you mean Murphy?

  8. On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:08:25 +0000, WiScottsin wrote:

    > "Phil, Squid-in-Training" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and
    > he
    >> told me he hears this noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that
    > 2
    >> of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3 (rearranging them so they
    > were
    >> as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the missing ones are critical? He rides
    >> casually.

    You are talking about a dollar in parts. Replace the bolts.

    > They will be missed if he puts just the right amount of pressure on the crank at a point where the
    > chainring could be flexed and bent ( folded ). Now the chances of that are probably slim, but
    > Newton's law says that it will happen when you least want it to.

    That is not Newton's law, but Murphy's. Attribute these fundamental laws to the discoverer.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems. _`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
    (_)/ (_) |

  9. "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In news:[email protected], Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> typed:
    > > My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and he told me he hears
    > > this noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that 2 of the 5 are missing. I tightened
    > > down the 3 (rearranging them so they were as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you
    > > say the missing ones are critical? He rides casually.
    >
    > Yes, I've had a chainring fold under load from a missing bolt.

    Yikes, will let him know ASAP.

    Note, he has alu chainrings so that's even more worrisome.

    --
    Phil, Squid-in-Training

  10. David Kunz

    David Kunz Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:
    > In news:[email protected], Phil, Squid-in-Training <[email protected]> typed:
    >
    >>My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and he told me he hears this
    >>noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that 2 of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3
    >>(rearranging them so they were as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the
    >>missing ones are critical? He rides casually.
    >

    > Yes, I've had a chainring fold under load from a missing bolt.

    Same here... (not to me, someone I was riding with).

    David

  11. Wiscottsin

    Wiscottsin Guest

  12. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >My friend's old Fuji road bike began to unscrew its chainring bolts, and he told me he hears this
    >noise while pedaling. I look at it and noticed that 2 of the 5 are missing. I tightened down the 3
    >(rearranging them so they were as symmetrical as possible on the spider). Would you say the missing
    >ones are critical? He rides casually.

    Are you kidding? These are cheap and easy to get, so why risk it?
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  13. WiScottsin wrote: <snip>
    >Now the chances of that are probably slim, but Newton's law says that it will happen when you least
    >want it to.
    </snip>

    Actually, I think that's Murphy's Law, Not Newton... ;-3)

  14. Mark Lee

    Mark Lee Guest

    In answer to the title question: "What do you reckon?" - with a sarcastic voice.

    or "The fewer the better" (fewer missing that is with 0 missing being the perfect score)

    Do you think the attachments are just there for decoration?

    Mark Lee