Will motorcycle dry lubricant work for bicycle chains?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by bighead_9901, Apr 14, 2007.

1. bighead_9901

bighead_9901 New Member

I just finished cleaning my chain and I'm thinking about trying some of the lubricant I use on my motorcycle chain. I was wondering if anyone has used this before or if anyone had any knowledge about whether this is a good or bad idea.
    I like it because it dries quickly on my motorcycle chain into a flexible film, doesn't fling, and is great at repeling dirt and water. It says it is good for O-ring (street bike chains) and standard chains. It contains P.T.F.E fluoropolymer resin and moly.

I appreciate any info anyone can provide.

Tags:

2. autom8ed

autom8ed New Member

I use my Honda Lube to clean my bicycle chain as well and it works fine. Its also a great all purpose grease stain remover. So if its lube, should be ok, if its motorcycle chain wax, it might build up as it tends to do on my motorcycle chain.

3. bighead_9901

bighead_9901 New Member

The lube I use for my motorcycle is also a Honda Lube. Does the lube you use come in a red and black can? If so then it is the same type which I'm thinking of using. I just got done spraying my chain and it looks like it should work. I also sprayed a very fine, small amount onto the cassette.

4. autom8ed

autom8ed New Member

Yup thats the one. Its basically like wd40 but i think it degreases a little better. I know there are concerns with the o rings on motorcycle chains and some claim wd40 will deteriorate the o ring seals but ive never had any problems.

5. CJ Smith

CJ Smith New Member

I've worked in an industrial setting aboard ships for over 20 years and the combo of WD-40 and O-rings is just something we avoid. The same is said for nearly every instance of marrying rubber gasket material (think: the flat kind) and WD-40.

LUBING: I use HOT chain wax to lube my chain

SEE MY POST ON HOW I DO IT HERE:
    http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?p=3239842#post3239842

and the few times I allow for my bike to visit the bike shop, they used White Lightning, but first they (like any decent bike shop- Thanks John at Chainwheel Drive Clearwater) told me of the lubes on hand and asked me which I preferred.

Bike shops if you are reading this, this is the way you do it, so that people don’t leave your shop and have to re-lube in a way more desired/preferred.

As mentioned I have added another post here on chain waxing (lubing). Please add your personal way of doing things, even if it is, “I just bring it to the shop and let them use whatever is on hand.” I think it would great to see what others use.

Please mention where you are from. I am thinking that someone from Phoenix or Las Vegas might find a lube used in a place like Anchorage, Alaska, to be not as effective and vice versa – If this is your instance please note why.

Also note that I am not condemning the use of WD-40, it is not my last choice for a lubricant. It is just not one I personally want coating my chain. In enginerooms, well... that is another story - Most of our equipment loves the stuff!

MOTORCYCLE CHAINS AND WD-40: The WD-40 company claims it is safe for use on all motorcycle chains, but recommended cleaning products vary among chain manufacturers. Some manufacturers recommend WD-40 to clean or displace water on all types of chains, including sealed ring.

TIDBIT: WD-40. What does it mean?
    Water Displacement created on the 40th attempt.

I originally read about the WD-40 story here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

Best Regards,
    CJ
    Oldsmar, FL

6. John M

John M New Member

No need to spray the cassette. The amount of lube that sticks to the chain is sufficient to lube the chain/cassette interface.

7. bighead_9901

bighead_9901 New Member

I'm not sure how WD-40 got mentioned because this definately isn't WD-40. It doesn't go on like WD-40 and it is manufactured by Honda for motorcycle chains. It states it is safe for o-ring chains which I have on my motorcycle so I am assuming that it is safe for my bicycle chain.

The main reason I'm considering using it is because it drys after a few minutes and it stays very clean. With the humidity hear in the south it seems like the other lubes I have tried (white lightning and prolink gold) end up making a mess. Maybe I'm applying to much to my chain I'm not sure but after a couple rides I always have a lot of grease/lube on my cassette, crankset chain rings, and the chain.