Will new wheels and tires help...

tiggere

Jul 20, 2007
I have a set of Alexrims DA22 with Kenda Competition Kontender tires on them...its what came stock on the bike...On rides I see most others on more aero wheelsets with much thinner tires...as a new rider will I notice a large enough difference between a good set of wheels and the stock ones to justify the cost? As winter is approaching and everything is starting to go on sale I figured now would be the time to switch if I was going to...I have read most of the tire wheel threads so not asking which to get just asking if it is worth it and what improvements I will see...

I am also running a triple with an 8 speed...would now be the time to bump it up to 9 or 10...the little bit of extra weight doesn't bother me...but if its going to cause me to have to change a bunch of stuff I will leave it an 8 speed...

tiggere said:
I have a set of Alexrims DA22 with Kenda Competition Kontender tires on them...its what came stock on the bike...On rides I see most others on more aero wheelsets with much thinner tires...as a new rider will I notice a large enough difference between a good set of wheels and the stock ones to justify the cost? As winter is approaching and everything is starting to go on sale I figured now would be the time to switch if I was going to...I have read most of the tire wheel threads so not asking which to get just asking if it is worth it and what improvements I will see...

I am also running a triple with an 8 speed...would now be the time to bump it up to 9 or 10...the little bit of extra weight doesn't bother me...but if its going to cause me to have to change a bunch of stuff I will leave it an 8 speed...
im in the same boat as you, im running an 8 speed triple sora with tiagra rear derailleur on my '06 Specialized Allez with i believe the same rims you have, and specialized mondo tires (heavy steel bead). For now, to save money you can keep what you have unless your wheels go out of true often...then by all means get better wheels. If i can manage to find somone to sell a shotgun i have to (gonna try to talk my brother into buying it), im buying a new wheelset/wheels because im heavier and my 20 spoke radial laced front, im afraid, isnt going to make it forever...

as far as 9/10 speed upgrade, dont worry about that for a while. You would need to change shifters, cassete, chain, derailleurs, crankset would be a good idea...a lot of money for no real performance gain, just more gear choices. Get your body into cycling shape, and when you cant get better, THEN worry about the bike/components. Tires you can upgrade now if you want...you may need better puncture resistance or traction in the wet or on turns. Im looking into Michelin Krylion Carbon tires, you can get them all day long on ebay for around 55/set of 2 tires!

Keep riding and worry about better stuff when you either a: have money to spare, or b: NEED it :) Take care!

mongooseboy said:
as far as 9/10 speed upgrade, dont worry about that for a while. You would need to change shifters, cassete, chain, derailleurs, crankset would be a good idea...a lot of money for no real performance gain, just more gear choices. Get your body into cycling shape, and when you cant get better, THEN worry about the bike/components. Tires you can upgrade now if you want...you may need better puncture resistance or traction in the wet or on turns. Im looking into Michelin Krylion Carbon tires, you can get them all day long on ebay for around 55/set of 2 tires!

Keep riding and worry about better stuff when you either a: have money to spare, or b: NEED it :) Take care!
+1. If you have an aluminum frame, you cannot upgrade it to a 9 or 10 speed. You would have to spread the rear dropouts and this is not safe to do with aluminum. It is OK if you have a steel frame though.

it's definitely worth getting better tyres. Grab some Michelin Pro Race 2s, which are available online on a zillion sites for decent a price, and make sure the tubes you're using are 120g+ unsupple garden hoses :)

As far as wheels go, as long as the hubs are smooth enough and the spokes tension is ok, (not too old and sloppy), I'd say spending big money on aero wheels is difficult to justify, so perhaps save your money.

the wheels spin really good...I can coast faster down hills than others when we start out side by side so I would say the wheels are ok...as for the tires...the ones on it are 700x26C...will there be a problem putting the 700x23C Michelin tire on that wheel?

tiggere said:
the wheels spin really good...I can coast faster down hills than others when we start out side by side so I would say the wheels are ok...as for the tires...the ones on it are 700x26C...will there be a problem putting the 700x23C Michelin tire on that wheel?
yes, the 23mm tyres will be fine.

According to some studies, aero wheels only reduce wind drag by 10 to 20 watts compared to a 28-spoke v-shaped rim, which isn't much. This study says that $200 Mavic Aksiums are only 12 watts less aero than $3000 Zipp 808s at 50kph (less at lower speeds, depending on wind direction), and only 9 watts less efficient that Cosmic Carbones: http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-4934445.html And this calculator suggests that an increase of 12 watts output around 45kph only increases speed by 0.5 kph: http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm

I've spoken to lots of club racers about their Cosmic Carbones and Zipp 404s, and the conservative guys say that the speed difference seems like 1 or 2kph at good speed (~45 to 55kph), and the optimistic guys say about 3kph at speed. Those claims obviously contradict the Kreuzotter calculator. If I was convinced that I'd be getting a 3kph advantage at, or around 45+kph, I'd definitely buy some fancy wheels, but for 1kph, I won't :)

These numbers from Tour Magazine suggest that 2 tri-spoke wheels reduced drag by 15 watts, and I'd say tri-spokes are likely to be more aero than a 20-spoke 60mm deep Zipp wheel, for example.

Required output to maintain 45 kph on a:

Standard road bike, hands on hoods = 465 Watts
Same bike, hands down on the drops = 406 watts
Same bike with aero bars = 369 Watts
Same bike, triathlon position (5.5 cm lower bar, saddle forwards)= 360 Watts
Same bike, as above, with 2 tri spoke wheels = 345 Watts

Cervelo TT bike with 2 tri spoke wheels = 328 Watts
Cervelo TT bike with tri spoke front & disk rear = 320 Watts
Cervelo TT bike, tri spoke front & disk rear + aero helmet = 317 Watts
Cervelo TT bike, same as above + skin suit = 307 Watts
Cervelo TT bike, same as above, with saddle pushed back 3cm = 293 Watts

kdelong said:
+1. If you have an aluminum frame, you cannot upgrade it to a 9 or 10 speed. You would have to spread the rear dropouts and this is not safe to do with aluminum. It is OK if you have a steel frame though.
shimano hubs are 8/9/10 speed compatible except dura ace which is aluminum spline and i believe 10 spd only. you should be able to slap a 10 speed cassete onto your wheelset. the only difference is distance between cogs :)

Well decided to keep the wheels and buy new tires only...torn between the Michelin Pro2 Race and the Conti GP4000...just a couple dollars apart and the reviews are leaning more towards the Conti's...hmmm...do I want blue wheels on my bike...

looks like its back to the search engine to compare the two...

Ok decided to ask for advice...here are the choices I have come up with...

Michelin Pro2 Race
Conti GP 4000
Conti GP 4000 Chili compound
Conti GP 4000s

Cost is about the same for all of them...so thats not really a factor...

Would like some input on the Chili's and GP4000s as I didn't find much using the search...you guys seem to really be torn between the two brands though (michelin vs. conti)...my main focus will be road riding with clubs...and time trials (but its a road bike not a TT/Tri bike) for fun but to push myself to new extremes...

tiggere said:
Ok decided to ask for advice...here are the choices I have come up with...

Michelin Pro2 Race
Conti GP 4000
Conti GP 4000 Chili compound
Conti GP 4000s

Cost is about the same for all of them...so thats not really a factor...

Would like some input on the Chili's and GP4000s as I didn't find much using the search...you guys seem to really be torn between the two brands though (michelin vs. conti)...my main focus will be road riding with clubs...and time trials (but its a road bike not a TT/Tri bike) for fun but to push myself to new extremes...
i dont think you can go wrong with any of the tires, the GP4000s is the newest tire, Road Bike Action mag gave it pretty favorable ratings, but i guess when the company gives you free tires to try out, your going to do that.

from what i know about tires, which isnt much, i think the contis are better if your going to see any rain, as ive read the michelins are dry road only. check e-bay you can find tires in 2-packs pretty cheap sometimes!

I plan on getting Pro R 2's but has anyone ridden S Works Turbos? I've got them on my Rolf Elan Aeros and I seem sluggish as compared to my Michelin Kryliums on my Alex 330s. My imagination? (Rolf's have less miles than the Alex's)

I wound up getting the Conti GP4000s tires...will let you guys know how they work out...spoke with a few people at different bike shops and they all recommended them over the Pro2 Race...mainly for durability reasons...

He guys...those of you that know enough about cycling to answer these questions you should really fill in a "Review" for some of these products...would be a great resource to go along with the search function which brings up EVERYTHING...

Have to agree with the speed studies on aero wheelsets.

A couple of years ago, I picked up a (relative) bargain on a used set of Zipp 404's in tubie. Over my favorite loop, I'm seeing somewhere between 1-2kph advantage over my regular Campy Zondas, and some of that might be the different cassettes on the two wheelsets.

Oh, but the Zipps ride soooo smooth....