Will proper cycling glasses help with watery eyes??

kokojo

Aug 5, 2010
Hi all,

Just started cycling in the last three weeks, so far I'm lovin' it feel much better for regular exericise.

Anyway, I'm looking for some advice. Had a bit of unnerving experience while out over the weekend. On my route home there is a gentle downward gradient that lets you build up a decent speed for about a mile. While coming down this my eyes started to water and my vision became blurred, so much so it was diffucult to look for pot holes etc. I wasn't going that fast (computer said just over 30mph) but i found it quite unnerving to be sufferring from bad vision at that speed. I wear normal everday glasses at the moment but wondering whether some cycling specific ones will help. I have looked at some and all the decent ones mention good ventilation so wondering whether it willl make any difference.
Does anyone else get these problems?

I do not normally have this problem, however dry air can make my eyes irritated and I have experienced some irritation during time of low air quality.
I ride with sunglasses that are a little wider to shield my eyes from bugs, dust etc.
I would recommend getting the best protection for your eyes you can find.

kokojo said:
Anyway, I'm looking for some advice. Had a bit of unnerving experience while out over the weekend. On my route home there is a gentle downward gradient that lets you build up a decent speed for about a mile. While coming down this my eyes started to water and my vision became blurred, so much so it was diffucult to look for pot holes etc. I wasn't going that fast (computer said just over 30mph) but i found it quite unnerving to be sufferring from bad vision at that speed. I wear normal everday glasses at the moment but wondering whether some cycling specific ones will help. I have looked at some and all the decent ones mention good ventilation so wondering whether it willl make any difference.
Yes. I carry/use a pair of SHOP goggles ... the cheap type with the soft vinyl "shell" & flat, presumably-acetate lens ... it is the LEAST stylish option.

Cycling specific not necessarily required, but I think you'll find "wrap" glasses with lenses that follow the contours of your face and extend around to the side will make a difference. Cycling specific have frame designs to help prevent blocked vision when in "aero positions" i.e. drops.

Sometimes watering just happens. I always free ski with glasses so my eyes are accustomed to it, but sometimes when it's really cold and dry they tear up. The wrap of the lens (low pressure) pulls the water to the back corner of my eye where it drains down my cheek. Doesn't affect vision until I stop.

Cheers all. Might have to invest in a pair. The prescription ones can be on the pricey side but I'd rather that than not being able to see.

There is a good chance, that there was "something" in the air that caused this.
I use a eye drops + before each ride, this has eliminated all my problems.

This is the one I use.

Country Club Supply

kokojo said:
Hi all,

Just started cycling in the last three weeks, so far I'm lovin' it feel much better for regular exericise.

Try these:
Long's Cycle Supply - Cycling Apparel at BlowOut Prices: Competitor's Wrath High Optical Definition Racing Sunglasses

very inexpensive and work great for me

Thirty miles per hour will definitely make my eyes water. And the colder the air is, the more they tear up.

I normally wear bi-focal glasses, but I don't wear them when I ride.

I do wear shop/safety glasses that come with both clear and dark lenses. I usually use the clear lens, because I mainly just want to keep the wind, bugs, and debris out of my eyes.

kokojo said:
Cheers all. Might have to invest in a pair. The prescription ones can be on the pricey side but I'd rather that than not being able to see.
If you can wear contacts, it may be worth your while to start, at least while riding. That way you can use whatever eyewear you want.

Louis Garneau makes a few types of glasses that will accept a prescription insert. Much cheaper than a full prescription wrap around set. I used a pair for years. They do get foggy in the rain though (well rain and warm).

I have since switched to contacts and regular glasses and that works best for me.

I'm prone to this myself. And have gone through a number of different types of sunglasses. I think it also has to do with the unique contours of my face and how the glasses fit. I like the idea of wrap arounds. Happens when Im ripping down black diamonds while skiing too. That is...when I take a break and actually remove my goggles. Have no clue how some of you all ski without goggles!! Boggles my mind. I tear up like a baby and get a mad cold head ache.

kokojo said:
Hi all,

Hello,
Yes i have this kind of problem in the summer with hayfever, I have poor eyesight and wear glasses and have a reaction to the pollen in the air. I have got over it with a pair of wrap around glasses+contact lenses, almost like goggles.
They stop the air but still have just enough ventilation for your eyes.
Here's a link to what i got but there are plenty of different types out there.
The only downside is the sweat, if you are hammering it.then it pools slightly, it didn't bother me though.
I did a 100 mile route in a pair and was comfortable enough. Try 'em.
Bolle Tracker Tactical Goggles
they are called Bolle tracker safety glasses..

Good Luck.Whupp