Will Riis be next ??

Apparantly his off season haemocrit level was 41% in 1995.

That should awfully low for a top cyclist's natural level, shouldn't it?

Riis claims he bought and injected the EPO himself.

He needs to answers questions about the doctors involved. Conconi for example

wicklow200 said:

Two months ago I had 50.5%, and I am not a professional sportman. Only go out running 3 miles 4 times a week by my own, and of course I dont take EPO. So figure out.

He now also confessed to have used cortisone and hormones. He also said Checchini has nothing to do with it...

Is he saying that he did it alone? Then its another bit of Omerta plus a little confession of long ago sins which should have no bearing on today.

Either it was a system wide doping program at Telekom (and other teams) or we are to believe that Riis did it all by himself. What about the allegations vs. the doctors?

Maybe he doesn't want to implicate others because they might have the dirt on the present era?

Serafino said:
Is he saying that he did it alone? Then its another bit of Omerta plus a little confession of long ago sins which should have no bearing on today.

Either it was a system wide doping program at Telekom (and other teams) or we are to believe that Riis did it all by himself. What about the allegations vs. the doctors?

Maybe he doesn't want to implicate others because they might have the dirt on the present era?
He says he did it alone but the doctors new and advised him. He also said that after Pantani was sent home at the 99 Giro he decided to retire in 99.

Good for Riis. It took courage to admit doping during the time period of his tour win. Has anyone else even come close to doing that?

I don't understand the mentality of some who get mad at Riis when he confesses, when we knew al along he was doping. Why the anger now? My anger is still directed at those we know doped but still hide behind impossible excuses.

wicklow200 said:
sopas said:
Two months ago I had 50.5%, and I am not a professional sportman.
Maybe you should be
:) Thanks for the compliment but I'm afraid it would be too late for that. I am already 31 years old. Anyway, I am not anything special, the 3 times I have gone to a local race in my hometown I have finished in the middle of the bunch.

sopas said:
:) Thanks for the compliment but I'm afraid it would be too late for that. I am already 31 years old. Anyway, I am not anything special, the 3 times I have gone to a local race in my hometown I have finished in the middle of the bunch.
Yes but you raced clean

cyclingheroes said:
Team CSC Press Release...That also means that I did things that I shouldn't have and I have regretted that ever since. Those were mistakes that I take the full responsibility for and I don't have anyone to blame but myself. We all make mistakes and I think my biggest mistake was to let my ambition get the better of me. That I have had to deal with a long time ago and I am glad to say that I am a lot wiser now. Both in my personal and in my professional life.
Nice statement. About what I expected with its focus on CSC's current fight against doping.

It sort of reminds me of Fignon and his "I did what I did and took what I took. I am the one who will have to live with the consequences." statement. Of course, Fignon did not wait until he was cornered.

fscyclist said:
I don't understand the mentality of some who get mad at Riis when he confesses, when we knew al along he was doping. Why the anger now? My anger is still directed at those we know doped but still hide behind impossible excuses.
Riis deserves a lot of credit. But you can't compare him to a current rider. They have their whole livelihood to think of. Riis just got the green light from his sponsors to talk about doping, guaranteeing their continued support.

If the same offer was made to Basso and others, we would be getting a lot more truth

wicklow200 said:

No. That is about average. Maybe a little below average for the general population, but Riis in the off season would not be in a totally untrained state. His training would lower his Hct a little.

If he usually competed at 56% (the value he was at on Gewiss) then he would be upping hi natural hematocrit by 36%.

Serafino said:
Everything is always "in the past". Just trust them.
Yeah, they're like, "Let's pack some blood before tomorrow's stage. Anybody?" They all sit down and top off. Then get up and say, "I feel guilty. But it's okay, right? I mean, that round of blood packing, that's all in the past now, isn't it? Five minutes ago... that's the past. That makes me feel better. There's no need to discuss this anymore. It's all water under the bridge. What's the point? I can't wait for tomorrow night when all the injections I'm going to get after today's stage are in the past."

sopas said:
Two months ago I had 50.5%, and I am not a professional sportman. Only go out running 3 miles 4 times a week by my own, and of course I dont take EPO. So figure out.
Your natural Hct does not have much (if anything) to do with your aerobic capacity. Pro cyclists do not all have Hcts in the high forties--well, not without EPO. Training expands plasma volume and lowers hematocrit.

In the age of EPO you would be at a disadvantage because you would have less room to increase your Hct. With the 50% limit, you might not be able to get any benefit from EPO other than to keep your HCT stable over the course of a three week race. Meanwhile, another pro with a natural value of 40 could be racing against you with a 25% increase. The two of you might be equal to one another without use of dope. This is an example of how the playing field is not level, even if everyone is allowed to dope.

BTW, I have had my hematocrit measured at 52. I live at 5000 feet. I am very, very far from being an ET.

I 've never liked Riis but I think that what he did today is commendable. It takes guts to go public and say what he said and, no matter what we might say here, to trash (essentially) his achievements as an athlete the way he did maybe shows that he believes in something and wants to preserve it even it means sacrificing himself.
He could have denied everything like certain other ex cyclists and directeur sportifs and either go on happily as the DS of CSC or resign "disgusted with the rumours and innuendo that are being perpetrated by his enemies and the enemies of cycling"...
If all DS were as honest as Riis was today and willing to draw a line and start afresh then there would be hope for cycling. But with guys like Bryuneel and Lefevre around this isn't going to happen.

I do think he deserves a little credit today. No fan of Riis by any means, but it would be good for the sport to move forward now, with such a prominent figure coming clean the likes of Indurain and Ullrich should now follow.

tcklyde said:
Pressure's on Jan.
And on Lance ....

The extraordinary improvement from Riis since 1993 was linked to EPO, what about the other extraordinary improvement made by Lance ARMSTRONG ? Oh yes, he had lost weight, his big chess and had increased his pedaling rate ! :D:D

Fire in House