Will SARS force World Championships away from Hamilton?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jonathan Dentch, Apr 24, 2003.

  1. Will the SARS epidemic force the UCI to move the World Championships from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
    to somewhere else?

    The World Health Organization has advised people to not travel to Toronto, which is near Hamilton.

    Tags:

  2. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Jonathan Dentch <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Will the SARS epidemic force the UCI to move the World Championships from Hamilton, Ontario,
    > Canada to somewhere else?

    > The World Health Organization has advised people to not travel to Toronto, which is near Hamilton.

    SARS is not the threat that snow is.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  3. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Jonathan Dentch <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Will the SARS epidemic force the UCI to move the World Championships from Hamilton, Ontario,
    > > Canada to somewhere else?
    >
    > > The World Health Organization has advised people to not travel to Toronto, which is near
    > > Hamilton.
    >
    > SARS is not the threat that snow is.
    >
    > Bob Schwartz [email protected]

    If the scaremonger on the BBC news this morning is right, come October we wont be worrying about
    cycling but about where to bury the huge number of dead people. We also probably wouldnt be
    allowed to travel anywhere. He was a respected doctor too so maybe..... Personally I think snow is
    a bigger threat.

    Stan Cox

  4. Cucycln

    Cucycln Guest

    news:[email protected]...

  5. "Bob Schwartz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Jonathan Dentch <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Will the SARS epidemic force the UCI to move the World Championships from Hamilton, Ontario,
    > > Canada to somewhere else?
    >
    > > The World Health Organization has advised people to not travel to Toronto, which is near
    > > Hamilton.
    >
    > SARS is not the threat that snow is.

    SARS has the potential to be a very, very disruptive. A highly contagious disease with a 5% fatality
    rate is not to be taken lightly.

  6. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Jonathan Dentch wrote:
    > Will the SARS epidemic force the UCI to move the World Championships from Hamilton, Ontario,
    > Canada to somewhere else?
    >
    > The World Health Organization has advised people to not travel to Toronto, which is near Hamilton.

    There was already an article in the local paper regarding this. No decision has been made, and the
    article focused more on whether the stakeholders are insured for the loss of money that will result
    in moving Worlds out of the city.

    In my opinion, the paranoiacs are making too much of this, and common sense will prevail long before
    October. Don't cancel your hotel reservations yet.

  7. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

    > SARS has the potential to be a very, very disruptive. A highly contagious disease with a 5%
    > fatality rate is not to be taken lightly.

    I'm not convinced that it's highly contagious, though with the current precautions being taken all
    we are doing is trying our very best to select for more infectious serotypes. Two examples: 1. An
    infected worker north of Toronto showed up for work at the HP plant. The entire plant got shut down
    and all the workers quarantined for 10 days...result: nobody else showed symptoms. 2. A weekend
    religious gathering of 500 Filipino christians (with all the hugging, handshaking and sharing of
    communal drinking vessels that entails) had an infected parishiner, so all 500 were placed in
    quarantine...result: nobody else got sick. And a bonus prediction: an infected health care worker
    took the commuter train to work this week two days in a row before she was admitted into
    hospital...my prediction: nobody else on the train will come down with symptoms.

    As for the 5% fatality, that is also grossly overreported. That 5% arises from those people who are
    sick enough to become admitted to hospital. As with any infectious disease it's impossible to arrive
    at an accurate number of people who have been infected because for most of the healthy population,
    it will manifest as a chest cold or the flu and will likely go unreported, therefore artificially
    driving up the mortality %. Note that run-of-the-mill pneumonia has a much higher mortality rate.
    Also note that all of the people who have died in North America are 1. Old, or 2. Have underlying
    medical conditions that already place them in a weakened state. These are the same people who would
    die from your average flu.

    Try to think through the fear.

  8. Cucycln

    Cucycln Guest

    Maybe not enough $$$$$$$ from the Hamilton City will cancel it too....just read they need another
    6million (CDN). "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > >
    > > SARS has the potential to be a very, very disruptive. A highly contagious disease with a 5%
    > > fatality rate is not to be taken lightly.
    > >
    > I'm not convinced that it's highly contagious, though with the current precautions being taken all
    > we are doing is trying our very best to select for more infectious serotypes. Two examples: 1. An
    > infected worker north
    of
    > Toronto showed up for work at the HP plant. The entire plant got shut down and all the workers
    > quarantined for 10 days...result: nobody else showed symptoms. 2. A weekend religious gathering of
    > 500 Filipino christians
    (with
    > all the hugging, handshaking and sharing of communal drinking vessels that entails) had an
    > infected parishiner, so all 500 were placed in quarantine...result: nobody else got sick. And a
    > bonus prediction: an infected health care worker took the commuter train to work this week two
    > days in a row before she was admitted into hospital...my prediction:
    nobody
    > else on the train will come down with symptoms.
    >
    > As for the 5% fatality, that is also grossly overreported. That 5% arises from those people who
    > are sick enough to become admitted to hospital. As with any infectious disease it's impossible to
    > arrive at an accurate
    number
    > of people who have been infected because for most of the healthy
    population,
    > it will manifest as a chest cold or the flu and will likely go unreported, therefore artificially
    > driving up the mortality %. Note that
    run-of-the-mill
    > pneumonia has a much higher mortality rate. Also note that all of the
    people
    > who have died in North America are 1. Old, or 2. Have underlying medical conditions that already
    > place them in a weakened state. These are the same people who would die from your average flu.
    >
    > Try to think through the fear.

  9. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Jonathan Dentch wrote: There was already an article in the local paper regarding this. No
    decision
    > has been made, and the article focused more on whether the stakeholders
    are
    > insured for the loss of money that will result in moving Worlds out of the city.
    >
    > In my opinion, the paranoiacs are making too much of this, and common
    sense
    > will prevail long before October. Don't cancel your hotel reservations
    yet.

    I agree. The media is blowing this hugely out of proportion. We have the Norwalk virus roll through
    old folks homes and hospitals killing the same number of people and that barely gets a mention. West
    Nile killed more people last year than SARS so far. Are they going to cancel summer because of
    mosquitoes?? Everything that can be done is being done and life goes on. We've turned into a city of
    germaphobes!!! I think it's hilarious that in a city of 6 million people, where there are 200 or so
    cases of SARS and they're all in quarantine with no public outbreak, that people would walk around
    wearing surgical masks!! Incredible.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  10. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    $6 million?! Where have you read that? The bottom line this morning is that the city will have to
    contribute between $1.2-1.5 million. Nobody is asking for more than that.

  11. Cucycln

    Cucycln Guest

    news:[email protected]...