Will Shimano freehub body bolt onto Velomax wheel/hub?

My road bike is set up for 7 speed and I'm looking at a set of Velomax
wheels. Can I bolt my Shimano 7 speed compact freehub body onto the
Velomax wheel? The rear Velomax wheel has a Shimano cassette
compatible 10 speed freehub body on it now, but I do not understand
how to shim one of these for using a 7 speed cassette... if that's
even possible. I'm not sure if the 10 speed freehub body is Shimano
made or Easton/Velomax made.

Owen

On Jul 22, 10:27 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> My road bike is set up for 7 speed and I'm looking at a set of Velomax
> wheels. Can I bolt my Shimano 7 speed compact freehub body onto the
> Velomax wheel? The rear Velomax wheel has a Shimano cassette
> compatible 10 speed freehub body on it now, but I do not understand
> how to shim one of these for using a 7 speed cassette... if that's
> even possible. I'm not sure if the 10 speed freehub body is Shimano
> made or Easton/Velomax made.
>
> Owen

This question would also apply to the HED Bastognes, that I'm
interested in as well.

Owen

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jul 22, 10:27 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> My road bike is set up for 7 speed and I'm looking at a set of Velomax
>> wheels. Can I bolt my Shimano 7 speed compact freehub body onto the
>> Velomax wheel? The rear Velomax wheel has a Shimano cassette
>> compatible 10 speed freehub body on it now, but I do not understand
>> how to shim one of these for using a 7 speed cassette... if that's
>> even possible. I'm not sure if the 10 speed freehub body is Shimano
>> made or Easton/Velomax made.
>>
>> Owen

> This question would also apply to the HED Bastognes, that I'm
> interested in as well.
>
> Owen

no. just buy spacers and use your old cassette on the new hubs. it'll fit.

On Jul 22, 11:05 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> > On Jul 22, 10:27 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> >> My road bike is set up for 7 speed and I'm looking at a set of Velomax
> >> wheels. Can I bolt my Shimano 7 speed compact freehub body onto the
> >> Velomax wheel? The rear Velomax wheel has a Shimano cassette
> >> compatible 10 speed freehub body on it now, but I do not understand
> >> how to shim one of these for using a 7 speed cassette... if that's
> >> even possible. I'm not sure if the 10 speed freehub body is Shimano
> >> made or Easton/Velomax made.

> >> Owen

> > This question would also apply to the HED Bastognes, that I'm
> > interested in as well.

> > Owen

> no. just buy spacers and use your old cassette on the new hubs. it'll fit.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the quick reply, Jim. Can I get these spacers from a LBS
and where do they go?... i.e. on the outside of the cassette or
between the cassette and where it seats against the freehub body?

Owen

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jul 22, 11:05 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [email protected] wrote:
>>> This question would also apply to the HED Bastognes, that I'm
>>> interested in as well.
>>> Owen

>> no. just buy spacers and use your old cassette on the new hubs. it'll fit.- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks for the quick reply, Jim. Can I get these spacers from a LBS
> and where do they go?... i.e. on the outside of the cassette or
> between the cassette and where it seats against the freehub body?
>
> Owen

should be able to get from your lbs, but if not, they're common enough
online. not very expensive. they go on first, cassette afterwards.

On Jul 22, 11:31 pm, jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
> >> no. just buy spacers and use your old cassette on the new hubs. it'll fit.- Hide quoted text -

> > Thanks for the quick reply, Jim. Can I get these spacers from a LBS
> > and where do they go?... i.e. on the outside of the cassette or
> > between the cassette and where it seats against the freehub body?

> > Owen

> should be able to get from your lbs, but if not, they're common enough
> online. not very expensive. they go on first, cassette afterwards.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you very much for your help, Jim!

On Jul 22, 8:27 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> My road bike is set up for 7 speed and I'm looking at a set of Velomax
> wheels. Can I bolt my Shimano 7 speed compact freehub body onto the
> Velomax wheel? The rear Velomax wheel has a Shimano cassette
> compatible 10 speed freehub body on it now, but I do not understand
> how to shim one of these for using a 7 speed cassette... if that's
> even possible. I'm not sure if the 10 speed freehub body is Shimano
> made or Easton/Velomax made.
>
> Owen

Freehub on the Velomax is shimano 7/8/9 or 10s compatible. Cassette
spacer onto the freehub first, about a 3mm one, your shimano 7s cogset-
adjust RD, go ride. 'May' have an issue getti ng the 130mm Velomax
wheel into a 126mm spaced rear triangle tho. Coldset if steel or just
jam it in there('may' break something, 'may').

On Jul 23, 7:56 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]>
wrote:
> On Jul 22, 8:27 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > My road bike is set up for 7 speed and I'm looking at a set of Velomax
> > wheels. Can I bolt my Shimano 7 speed compact freehub body onto the
> > Velomax wheel? The rear Velomax wheel has a Shimano cassette
> > compatible 10 speed freehub body on it now, but I do not understand
> > how to shim one of these for using a 7 speed cassette... if that's
> > even possible. I'm not sure if the 10 speed freehub body is Shimano
> > made or Easton/Velomax made.

> > Owen

> Freehub on the Velomax is shimano 7/8/9 or 10s compatible. Cassette
> spacer onto the freehub first, about a 3mm one, your shimano 7s cogset-
> adjust RD, go ride. 'May' have an issue getti ng the 130mm Velomax
> wheel into a 126mm spaced rear triangle tho. Coldset if steel or just
> jam it in there('may' break something, 'may').

Tried 3mm... didn't work. The flange on the 11t cog bottomed against
the freehubs outer edge... leaving slack between the cluster stack.
Tried 4.5mm, as per Sheldons website... works perfectly! Thank you,
Sheldon... for a wonderful resource of information!

Owen

On Jul 28, 2:57 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On Jul 23, 7:56 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> > On Jul 22, 8:27 pm, [email protected] wrote:

> > > My road bike is set up for 7 speed and I'm looking at a set of Velomax
> > > wheels. Can I bolt my Shimano 7 speed compact freehub body onto the
> > > Velomax wheel? The rear Velomax wheel has a Shimano cassette
> > > compatible 10 speed freehub body on it now, but I do not understand
> > > how to shim one of these for using a 7 speed cassette... if that's
> > > even possible. I'm not sure if the 10 speed freehub body is Shimano
> > > made or Easton/Velomax made.

> > > Owen

> > Freehub on the Velomax is shimano 7/8/9 or 10s compatible. Cassette
> > spacer onto the freehub first, about a 3mm one, your shimano 7s cogset-
> > adjust RD, go ride. 'May' have an issue getti ng the 130mm Velomax
> > wheel into a 126mm spaced rear triangle tho. Coldset if steel or just
> > jam it in there('may' break something, 'may').

> Tried 3mm... didn't work. The flange on the 11t cog bottomed against
> the freehubs outer edge... leaving slack between the cluster stack.
> Tried 4.5mm, as per Sheldons website... works perfectly! Thank you,
> Sheldon... for a wonderful resource of information!
>
> Owen- Hide quoted text -

I'm wrong here! The 4.5mm shim is causing the chain to rub against the
frame. When stationary there is about 1mm clearance, but it rubs like
crazy while pedalling. Reducing the 4.5mm shim by even only 0.5mm
causes slack in the cassette. Looks like I'll have to go with the 3mm
afterall and have 2mm milled off of the outside edge of the freehub
body.

Owen

On Jul 28, 9:10 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Jul 28, 2:57 am, [email protected] wrote:
>

> > On Jul 23, 7:56 am, Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> > > Freehub on the Velomax is shimano 7/8/9 or 10s compatible. Cassette
> > > spacer onto the freehub first, about a 3mm one, your shimano 7s cogset-
> > > adjust RD, go ride. 'May' have an issue getti ng the 130mm Velomax
> > > wheel into a 126mm spaced rear triangle tho. Coldset if steel or just
> > > jam it in there('may' break something, 'may').

> > Tried 3mm... didn't work. The flange on the 11t cog bottomed against
> > the freehubs outer edge... leaving slack between the cluster stack.
> > Tried 4.5mm, as per Sheldons website... works perfectly! Thank you,
> > Sheldon... for a wonderful resource of information!

> > Owen- Hide quoted text -

> I'm wrong here! The 4.5mm shim is causing the chain to rub against the
> frame. When stationary there is about 1mm clearance, but it rubs like
> crazy while pedalling. Reducing the 4.5mm shim by even only 0.5mm
> causes slack in the cassette. Looks like I'll have to go with the 3mm
> afterall and have 2mm milled off of the outside edge of the freehub
> body.
>
> Owen

Some people report success with just having a spacer between the small
cog and lockring. The problem with this is you've no longer got the
teeth on the cog and lockring engaging each other to prevent loosening
of the lockring. Those teeth do seem to do good things, but OTOH, all
the SS conversion spacer kits seem to do fine without them. Were you
to go this route, it would probably be better to use a smooth-faced
lockring from one of those kits. Or maybe you could use a dummy small
cog as the spacer, so the lockring can engage the teeth on it. Sounds
a lot simpler than getting your freehub body milled.

Make sure you pay attention to lockring thread engagement when playing
with all this.

On Jul 29, 2:18 am, Nate Knutson <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jul 28, 9:10 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>

> > On Jul 28, 2:57 am, [email protected] wrote:

> > > Tried 3mm... didn't work. The flange on the 11t cog bottomed against
> > > the freehubs outer edge... leaving slack between the cluster stack.
> > > Tried 4.5mm, as per Sheldons website... works perfectly! Thank you,
> > > Sheldon... for a wonderful resource of information!

> > > Owen- Hide quoted text -

> > I'm wrong here! The 4.5mm shim is causing the chain to rub against the
> > frame. When stationary there is about 1mm clearance, but it rubs like
> > crazy while pedalling. Reducing the 4.5mm shim by even only 0.5mm
> > causes slack in the cassette. Looks like I'll have to go with the 3mm
> > afterall and have 2mm milled off of the outside edge of the freehub
> > body.

> > Owen

> Some people report success with just having a spacer between the small
> cog and lockring. The problem with this is you've no longer got the
> teeth on the cog and lockring engaging each other to prevent loosening
> of the lockring. Those teeth do seem to do good things, but OTOH, all
> the SS conversion spacer kits seem to do fine without them. Were you
> to go this route, it would probably be better to use a smooth-faced
> lockring from one of those kits. Or maybe you could use a dummy small
> cog as the spacer, so the lockring can engage the teeth on it. Sounds
> a lot simpler than getting your freehub body milled.
>
> Make sure you pay attention to lockring thread engagement when playing
> with all this.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks again, Nate... for the great info! Unfortunately I can't put
the cog/spacer between the small 11t cog and the lockring, because of
the nature of 11t cogs. Unlike 12 and 13t hyperglide small cogs, the
11t splines stop about 2/3 of the way through the cog. This is
probably because the 11t wall thickness is so thin they had to leave
this metal beneath the teeth to lend strength/integrity to the cog. I
thought about dremeling the splines completely through the 11t cog,
but decided that the engineers at Shimano (and Sram) knew what and why
they did this for... so I wont try fate to see if I can do one better
than them. I did happen to have a new non-small cog 12t cog, so I
replaced the 11t with this, removed the second-cog 12t, added a 26t
cog and spacer to the back side of the cassette, ground the teeth off
a worn out 11t small-cog and used this as a spacer between the new 12t
small-cog and the lockring. I now have 3 -3,5mms of space between the
chain and frame! I can not thank you enough for sharing this info with
me. I'd have never figured it out on my own!

Kindest regards,
Owen