Will the money last until June 1st?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by crit PRO, Dec 21, 2005.

  1. crit PRO

    crit PRO Guest

    www.cyclingnews.com just ran this $5k dreamer piece.......

    New US team snags Abercrombie & Fitch, Masi
    By Mark Zalewski, North American Editor

    An elite team in the midwest, with designs on making the jump to UCI
    Continental team status either this season or next, has landed two key
    sponsorships that will help make their plans possible. Major clothing
    retailer Abercrombie & Fitch has agreed to be the title sponsor of the
    Abercrombie & Fitch presented by Inferno Racing team. This agreement
    will span next season with possibilities for renewal beyond.

    Inferno director Chad Thompson says this will be the start of a new
    level for the elite team as it transitions into a pro squad. "This
    year's team is brand new but is spawned off of the elite team. We
    became a 501 (c) 3 and incorporated in Ohio." The Ohio connection is
    key to the sponsor, as Abercrombie & Fitch is headquartered outside
    Columbus.

    "We knocked on everybody's door, and Abercrombie & Fitch's Leslee Herro
    who is a cyclist, was interested in hearing what we had to say. We had
    all this sponsorship and commitments but no money. And within two days
    we had an answer. They are also really into our charity aspects with
    the Peloton Project. So they are sponsoring us through their
    philanthropy department."

    Another major sponsor of the team is Masi, who is returning to major
    team sponsorship after a short stint with the Diet Rite women's team a
    few years ago. Masi Brand Manager Tim Jackson says that restarting his
    sponsorship program with a new team as a benefit for both. "For Masi,
    it's an excellent opportunity to get back in the door for sponsorships.
    We are just now developing a TT frame, so we can't physically support a
    Pro Tour team yet. They've got a couple of guys who are good TT riders
    on the team, so I'll get some valuable feedback from that."

    When asked about the risk of sponsoring a new team, when many do not
    get off the ground in their first year, Jackson responded saying, "I
    don't see it as a risk. With Abercrombie & Fitch signing on, they have
    the money. Chad is hoping to grow the program and keep it rolling. He
    sees this as a pedestal to launch an even bigger program. With AF on
    the team, they'll generate press no matter what. If they end up at
    Georgia, they are going to be like the other small teams like Jittery
    Joe's and act as the giant killer. "

    Regardless of the level the team competes at this coming season,
    Thompson knows that the performance of the team, both on and off the
    bike, will be key in flourishing the partnership. "Bringing a cool,
    mainstream sponsor means we have to prove ourselves. Not just through
    winning, because we are going to win, but also through our charities
    and through our communication."

    2006 Abercrombie & Fitch p/b Inferno roster
    David "Shawn" Adams - OH
    Andrew "Andy" Applegate ­ NC (Multiple National Championship Titles)
    Jim Baldesare (2002 US men's National Elite Criterium Champion) - OH
    Ryan Gamm - OH
    Jeremy Grimm (20005 Ohio state Criterium Champion) - OH
    Jered Gruber - GA
    Rich Harper (2005 Georgia Cup Champion) - NC
    Mark Hekman (Ranked 5th in 2005 USCF/NRC Criterium standings overall) -
    NC
    Abe McNutt - OH
    Malachi "Reid" Peacock - GA
    Ryan Rish - OH
    Todd Shaker - OH
    Tim Swain - OH
    Chad Thompson (Team Director/ rider) - OH

    Tags:

  2. Wow, and it's like the biggest roster in the US too! Pleanty of guys
    to pick from to ride off the back...although maybe Baldesare could pull
    off another big crit win.

  3. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Ah, Crit Pro. This is not a pro team, and most of the guys on that
    roster also have regular jobs, so, cut them a little bit of slack.

    Tom

  4. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > Ah, Crit Pro. This is not a pro team, and most of the guys on that
    > roster also have regular jobs, so, cut them a little bit of slack.

    If that's true then one has to wonder why they are talking about
    UCI Continental status and killing giants in Georgia.

    Bob Schwartz