Will the new Deep Purple get air play?

LottomagicZ4941

Oct 6, 2004
Probably not

Don't really know why I'm looking forward to the new Deep Purple so much when I have yet to really get into Banannas(sp?)

Any other Deep Purple fans here?

LottomagicZ4941 said:
Probably not

Don't really know why I'm looking forward to the new Deep Purple so much when I have yet to really get into Banannas(sp?)

i like the stuff up until Gillan left...but the modern stuff is bad...

oh yeah, had the "who do we think we are" lp.
also, been listening to tommy bolin (of the "taste the band" spin off)
live at the jet bar. this is from the tommy bolin archives label.
and i have on order tommy bolin with billy cobham, jan hammer, et al.
the album title "spectrum". from '76 but now on cd.

a friend saw deep purple open for scorpions a while back, said they were spot on, but no origianal members perhaps, certainly not blackmore.

btw, anyone heard of "blackmore's knight"? this is a acoustic minstrel styled effort.

LottomagicZ4941 said:
Probably not

Ian Gillan is back but he is not an orginal member.

Ian Pace(sp) is only orginal member left.

Luckly I've found some new stuf incase the new DP is a dud.

Just got the sound back on my computer:)
http://www.celtic-legacy.com/mainindex.html
a bit 80ish but still good. Rainbow + Metalica + some cool celtish sounds
57 sound clips not enough so I may have to purchace some of their stuff.

http://www.barsuk.com/nadasurf/ecard/
Hopefully the other tracks are as good as the three that the website plays.
U2 + weaker Marillion don't want to get anyone's hopes up to high.
Thought the links was going to be a trafic exchange and got something better:) And this band does remind me just a tad of pre Gillan era Deep Purple.

Machiene Head is over rated. I think one could make a claim that Bannanas is technically superior. I personally think that Machiene Head has at least 3 filler tracks. I did like Machiene Head till I got In Rock.

Coverdale Era Burn is in the to 10 CDs sales wise at amazon.

Have only listened to sound clips of Blackmore's night. Might purchace the Ranbow with Doggie White on it.

As for DP with JLT I think Slaves and Masters was a fine Ranbow recoding:)

MountainPro said:
i like the stuff up until Gillan left...but the modern stuff is bad...
Ian Gillan's Toolbox rocks!!

I kinda wish he had not rejoined DP.

I think Slaves and Masters may have been accepted as a Ranbow recording.

Some filler but I would not call it bad. Might be technically better then Machien Head. Well may lose my head if I keep publically posting this.

I saw DP live and I wish they had played more of the new stuff. Bannanas first track definatelly sounds like it could have been recorded in the 70s. Purpendicular was new ground and in my opinion the best Deep Purple since In Rock!!!!

i dont know if Gillan was an original member or not, and i may get shot down in flames for this but imho, Gillan was the best singer of the whole 70s british rock scene, including Robert Plant, Floyd, Queen, Free etc...

he screaming vocals are just brilliant,

LottomagicZ4941 said:
Ian Gillan's Toolbox rocks!!

I kinda wish he had not rejoined DP.

I think Slaves and Masters may have been accepted as a Ranbow recording.

Some filler but I would not call it bad. Might be technically better then Machien Head. Well may lose my head if I keep publically posting this.

I saw DP live and I wish they had played more of the new stuff. Bannanas first track definatelly sounds like it could have been recorded in the 70s. Purpendicular was new ground and in my opinion the best Deep Purple since In Rock!!!!

MountainPro said:
i dont know if Gillan was an original member or not, and i may get shot down in flames for this but imho, Gillan was the best singer of the whole 70s british rock scene, including Robert Plant, Floyd, Queen, Free etc...

he screaming vocals are just brilliant,
I'm still currious which "new" deep purp you didn't like.

And I'll agree on Gillan being the best. Child in Time is awsome!!!

LottomagicZ4941 said:
I'm still currious which "new" deep purp you didn't like.

And I'll agree on Gillan being the best. Child in Time is awsome!!!
Child in time was the song i had in mind...

the modern stuff, 80s basically. the album name escapes me.

Perfect Strangers 85?86?87ish release is one of the few I dont own. Was cool that it had TV adverts.

LottomagicZ4941 said:
Probably not

spend your money watching Deepest Purple , an aussie cover band that´s in some ways better than the original - when you go to see them you don´t have to worry will Blackmore throw a wobbly and spend the evening playing like a horse´s ar*e and spoil your evening ( I saw them in ´73 and guess what happened )

el Inglés said:
spend your money watching Deepest Purple , an aussie cover band that´s in some ways better than the original - when you go to see them you don´t have to worry will Blackmore throw a wobbly and spend the evening playing like a horse´s ar*e and spoil your evening ( I saw them in ´73 and guess what happened )
prolly the best deep purple tribute band would be Rainbow...

a mate of mine went to see them in the early 80's and they spent their entire set playing deep purple songs...with Blackmore on the guitar..!

MountainPro said:
prolly the best deep purple tribute band would be Rainbow...

a mate of mine went to see them in the early 80's and they spent their entire set playing deep purple songs...with Blackmore on the guitar..!

and didn´t they play some duff gigs at times !!!!!!!

been listening again to some of my old LP´s and I think I preferred the 1st line up - their only flaw a cronic shortage of material - the LP called deep purple being the best . It was when glover joined that they then had the capacity to write enough of their own material . That said while never a great fan of gillan the live songs from mk1 do show the limits of rod evans voice on the harder material - maybe he should have bought his jeans a size smaller ?

el Inglés said:
and didn´t they play some duff gigs at times !!!!!!!

been listening again to some of my old LP´s and I think I preferred the 1st line up - their only flaw a cronic shortage of material - the LP called deep purple being the best . It was when glover joined that they then had the capacity to write enough of their own material . That said while never a great fan of gillan the live songs from mk1 do show the limits of rod evans voice on the harder material - maybe he should have bought his jeans a size smaller ?
This band's second track reminds me just a tad of pre Ian Gillan deep purple
http://barsukmusic.blaireau.net/nadasurf/ecard/

Perhaps your a big enough DP fan to get this joke.

Why did Deep Purple cross the road?

They heard there was a stormbringer a comming.
orginally posted on
http://com3.runboard.com/bdeeppurplefanforum.fnonpurple.t42|offset=360

el Inglés said:
didn´t like the " whitesnake lineup " , which is strange as I like whitesnake .
LOL

Are you refering to when Coverdale was in DP or when Lord and Paice joined Whitesnake?

LottomagicZ4941 said:
LOL

Are you refering to when Coverdale was in DP or when Lord and Paice joined Whitesnake?

bit of both really , though the whitesnake album with all those videos using tawny kitaen is well worth a listen ( 1987 , think it´s called whitesnake but I´ll need to check my LP to see )

el Inglés said:
bit of both really , though the whitesnake album with all those videos using tawny kitaen is well worth a listen ( 1987 , think it´s called whitesnake but I´ll need to check my LP to see )
The 1987 was just called Whitesnake. They may have also use here for Slip of the Toung(sp?). At least he never had Tawny sing like on Into the Light. But it is limited so it's not that bad.

I certainly hope so; those were the best days of my life..."Smoke on the Water, Fire in your eyes"....

I particularly like Iron Butterfly's Innagadadavida, baby!!! Oh those were such fun days, except for the War in Viet Nam.

Countless bands made the times, with such great music, a great time to be alive.