Will the old etune powertap work with the new computer head?

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by earthman309, Jan 15, 2006.

1. earthman309

earthman309 New Member

My wife was one of the first to jump on board with an "etune power tap" . I would love to use her hub and upgrade to the most recent handlebar unit as her old handlebar unit has perished. (died during IronMan Hawaii in 1999) I've called Saris concerning this and received a tepid response at best. " Why would you ever want to do that". They claimed to not know if the hubs output would be compatible with the new design. The spokesperson on the phone implied that the whole system had been re-engineered and bore little similarity to the original etune unit. Perhaps they are different inside but outwardly our old unit looks just like the current low end model.

Have any of you worked with both of these enough to know their cross compatability?

Thanks for any informed replies,

SciGuy

Tags:

2. RapDaddyo

RapDaddyo Active Member

Well, at least you want to go the right direction, forward integration. There's not a chance it would work the other way. Can you find someone with a PT Pro or SL so you can put your hub on their bike and see if the receiver picks up the hub? Of course, you could also take it apart and replace the strain gauges with those from the PT Pro or SL, but that's a lot of work and the battery requirements might be different, and so on. Too much work -- get a used PT Pro on ebay.

3. Woofer

Woofer New Member

I have an original eTune CPU ( gave away the wheel ) and it works with the current generation of non-SL wheels/mounts.

I am not sure if saving money by using the eTune wheel is a very good idea unless you live in the desert. The original eTune wheels were like the wicked witch in Wizard of Oz, allergic to water and I've had problems in high humidity areas as well so very inconvenient failures sometimes.

4. earthman309

earthman309 New Member

.....just trying to do this on the cheap .........but the used route may make the most sense. I keep hoping to see CatEye announce a great new offering due out this spring for $500.00. That would really break the market open:)

Thanks for the replies.

SciGuy