Will Truvativ 50t 9sp compact chainring work on my 7sp setup?

I am using a 7sp, compact (110mm bcd) crankset on my Softride
Norwester. I'm using the Shimano hyperdrive (ramped & pinned) 46t/36t/
24t 7sp rings with an 11-24t cassette. The only 110mm bcd chainrings
that I can find, in the 50t size that I need, are made for 9/10sp
transmission setups. I simply cannot afford to change my entire system
(chainrings, cassette, shifters, chain, rear deraileur) to accommodate
my desire for higher gearing. So, am I stuck with having the 46t
limit?... or is there a chance that the 50t/9sp chainring might work
without problems? I'd also like to know if anything larger than 46t,
for the 110mmm bcd in 7sp, was ever made... does anyone know?
Coors

> I am using a 7sp, compact (110mm bcd) crankset on my Softride
> Norwester. I'm using the Shimano hyperdrive (ramped & pinned) 46t/36t/
> 24t 7sp rings with an 11-24t cassette. The only 110mm bcd chainrings
> that I can find, in the 50t size that I need, are made for 9/10sp
> transmission setups. I simply cannot afford to change my entire system
> (chainrings, cassette, shifters, chain, rear deraileur) to accommodate
> my desire for higher gearing. So, am I stuck with having the 46t
> limit?... or is there a chance that the 50t/9sp chainring might work
> without problems? I'd also like to know if anything larger than 46t,
> for the 110mmm bcd in 7sp, was ever made... does anyone know?
> Coors

74/110 used to be the standard triple setup, and chainrings up to 62t
were made for it back before 11t cogs became popular. Salsa makes 7/8/9
speed compatible 110mm rings up to 54t. I have some Salsa rings for a
bike (happens to be 9-speed) and I'm quite happy with them. I got them
from Cambria Bike, but plenty of places sell them. Sheldon lists 110bcd
chainrings up to 61t http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/chainrings/110.html

Drew

--
Drew W. Saunders

dru (at) stanford (dot) eee dee you

[email protected] wrote:
> I am using a 7sp, compact (110mm bcd) crankset on my Softride
> Norwester. I'm using the Shimano hyperdrive (ramped & pinned) 46t/36t/
> 24t 7sp rings with an 11-24t cassette. The only 110mm bcd chainrings
> that I can find, in the 50t size that I need, are made for 9/10sp
> transmission setups. I simply cannot afford to change my entire system
> (chainrings, cassette, shifters, chain, rear deraileur) to accommodate
> my desire for higher gearing. So, am I stuck with having the 46t
> limit?... or is there a chance that the 50t/9sp chainring might work
> without problems? I'd also like to know if anything larger than 46t,
> for the 110mmm bcd in 7sp, was ever made... does anyone know?
> Coors

I am an idiot.

Sorry I didn't notice the 'Truvative' in your header right away.
Yes, it is OK in your system.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 16:00:46 -0700, Drew Saunders wrote:

> 74/110 used to be the standard triple setup, and chainrings up to 62t
> were made for it back before 11t cogs became popular.

64 on the TA pro - 3-pin crank; probably were bigger than that made; not
bespoke, but as regular stock.

On Apr 6, 3:50 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> I am using a 7sp, compact (110mm bcd) crankset on my Softride
> Norwester. I'm using the Shimano hyperdrive (ramped & pinned) 46t/36t/
> 24t 7sp rings with an 11-24t cassette. The only 110mm bcd chainrings
> that I can find, in the 50t size that I need, are made for 9/10sp
> transmission setups. I simply cannot afford to change my entire system
> (chainrings, cassette, shifters, chain, rear deraileur) to accommodate
> my desire for higher gearing. So, am I stuck with having the 46t
> limit?... or is there a chance that the 50t/9sp chainring might work
> without problems? I'd also like to know if anything larger than 46t,
> for the 110mmm bcd in 7sp, was ever made... does anyone know?
> Coors

It'll work fine, just put it on and go ride...

I really do appreciate all of the replies to my questions. I'm quite
surprised at the unanimous response that the 9sp 50t chainring will
work fine with my 7sp transmission. LBS mechanics told me that this
will not work... but I wanted to make sure. Also, I recently got the
"bicycle repair & maintenance manifesto" book. The author states that
he can spot a 9/10sp chain when he sees one... which led me to believe
that there is a significant difference between 6/7/8sp components and
9/10sp components. Are 9/10sp chains and chainrings still denoted as
3/16?... like the 6/7/8sp stuff? Also, I did forget mention in my
original message that pinned and ramped chainrings are now considered
an absolute must, for me. I also have a 46t Vuelta which is non-pinned
and ramped and I've observed a night and day difference between how
smoothly and reliably these 2 types of rings are when shifting.
Coors

[email protected] wrote:
> I really do appreciate all of the replies to my questions. I'm quite
> surprised at the unanimous response that the 9sp 50t chainring will
> work fine with my 7sp transmission. LBS mechanics told me that this
> will not work... but I wanted to make sure. Also, I recently got the
> "bicycle repair & maintenance manifesto" book. The author states that
> he can spot a 9/10sp chain when he sees one... which led me to believe
> that there is a significant difference between 6/7/8sp components and
> 9/10sp components. Are 9/10sp chains and chainrings still denoted as
> 3/16?... like the 6/7/8sp stuff? Also, I did forget mention in my
> original message that pinned and ramped chainrings are now considered
> an absolute must, for me. I also have a 46t Vuelta which is non-pinned
> and ramped and I've observed a night and day difference between how
> smoothly and reliably these 2 types of rings are when shifting.

He can see 9/10 chain readily because the chain rivets don't protrude.

Road (derailleur) chain is still, as always, 1/2" x 3/32".
(1" x 3/16 is long gone and very expensive when/if you can find it.)

Yes, ramped/pinned rings shift better in all systems. Yes, Vuelta are
the very lowest cost rings in every way. Cheap too.
--

On Apr 7, 5:38 pm, A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:
> He can see 9/10 chain readily because the chain rivets don't protrude.
>
> Road (derailleur) chain is still, as always, 1/2" x 3/32".
> (1" x 3/16 is long gone and very expensive when/if you can find it.)
>
> Yes, ramped/pinned rings shift better in all systems. Yes, Vuelta are
> the very lowest cost rings in every way. Cheap too.
> --
> Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

That's what I meant to type... 3/32" instead of 3/16. Thank you for
the very useful information!
Coors

On Apr 7, 3:18 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> I really do appreciate all of the replies to my questions. I'm quite
> surprised at the unanimous response that the 9sp 50t chainring will
> work fine with my 7sp transmission. LBS mechanics told me that this
> will not work... but I wanted to make sure.

They are idiots. I use '10s chainrings on both my bicycles with a Sram
PC-48 chain and gee, it works just fine and dandy.

Also, I recently got the
> "bicycle repair & maintenance manifesto" book. The author states that
> he can spot a 9/10sp chain when he sees one... which led me to believe
> that there is a significant difference between 6/7/8sp components and
> 9/10sp components. Are 9/10sp chains and chainrings still denoted as
> 3/16?... like the 6/7/8sp stuff? Also, I did forget mention in my
> original message that pinned and ramped chainrings are now considered
> an absolute must, for me. I also have a 46t Vuelta which is non-pinned
> and ramped and I've observed a night and day difference between how
> smoothly and reliably these 2 types of rings are when shifting.
> Coors

I now have the 50t Truvativ chainring on my bike. It's just great to
be able to pedal going downhill, again... as well as fly on the flat.
I also replaced the 24t small ring with a 26t ss ring... but since I
had to raise the heighth of the front deraileur, the chain can no
longer fall to the lower ring, because the inner projection is now
much too high to assist the chain from the middle chainring position.
The chain is also dragging on the bottom, rear, flat portion of the
frnt deraileur. In truth I only use the small ring when I have loaded
panniers or when pulling a trailer... so I can still ride while I find
a solution for this problem. I think that this Shimano RSX deraileur
was made specifically to work with either a double ring crankset or,
as in my own case, a triple crankset with 46/36/26-24 rings. If anyone
is willing to share with me which longer Shimano deraileur that I
should be looking for, I'd really appreciate the help.
Coors

What I need is a bottom pull, 28.6mm (1 1/8") front deraileur with a
24t capacity. Is there such a beast in existence? I'm also considering
silver brazing the necessary extension to both lengthen and add the
necessary raised portion (that assists derailment). I have everything
for doing this work... I'm hoping that clamping the deraileur in a
vice will act as a heat sink, so that I don't damage the springs heat
treatment or any of the platsic bits.
Coors

On 6 Apr 2007 14:50:56 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I am using a 7sp, compact (110mm bcd) crankset on my Softride
>Norwester. I'm using the Shimano hyperdrive (ramped & pinned) 46t/36t/
>24t 7sp rings with an 11-24t cassette. The only 110mm bcd chainrings
>that I can find, in the 50t size that I need, are made for 9/10sp
>transmission setups. I simply cannot afford to change my entire system
>(chainrings, cassette, shifters, chain, rear deraileur) to accommodate
>my desire for higher gearing. So, am I stuck with having the 46t
>limit?... or is there a chance that the 50t/9sp chainring might work
>without problems? I'd also like to know if anything larger than 46t,
>for the 110mmm bcd in 7sp, was ever made... does anyone know?
>Coors

A 9 or 10 sp x 110 ring should work fine. I have a vintage 7sp
Shimano SG ring that is 50t, that you can have for $22 plus shipping.
I will work no better than the newer rings but will last much longer.

On Apr 29, 7:03 pm, Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote:
> A 9 or 10 sp x 110 ring should work fine. I have a vintage 7sp
> Shimano SG ring that is 50t, that you can have for $22 plus shipping.
> I will work no better than the newer rings but will last much longer.

Thanks for offering this to me! Do the SG rings have ramps and pins? I
just googled 'shimano sg' and all of the regular SG rings that I
looked at were non-ramped&pinned. I also found a reference that stated
that Shimano began ramping&pinning with the SG-X rings (early XTR).
I'm only interested in obtaining ramped& pinned rings. No one else
mentioned the premature wear from using the narrow 9/10 speed rings
with an 8 speed chain... I really do appreciate the fact that you have
shared this bit of info with me. That adds a bit of perspective to my
LBS's opinions on this.
Coors