Will Ultegra 10 Speed Deraillers Work With 9 Speed Shifters And Cassettes

mammajama83

Jul 7, 2006
I Have Ultegra 10 Speed Front And Rear Deraillers, But I Had To Buy 9 Speed Shifters And Cassettes.. My Question Is... Will The 10 Speed Deraillers Work With That Kind Of 9 Speed Set Up And Work Well... If Anyone Wants To Trade 10 Speed For 9 Speed Gear Let Me Know.. It Is New Gear

mammajama83 said:
I Have Ultegra 10 Speed Front And Rear Deraillers, But I Had To Buy 9 Speed Shifters And Cassettes.. My Question Is... Will The 10 Speed Deraillers Work With That Kind Of 9 Speed Set Up And Work Well... If Anyone Wants To Trade 10 Speed For 9 Speed Gear Let Me Know.. It Is New Gear
You don't have to trade (though I would be willing!) ...

To use your 10-speed rear derailleur with the 9-speed shifters you just need to use the alternate anchoring position at 9 o'clock.

Unfortunately, to use the front derailleur you will want to get a 10-speed chain otherwise the 9-speed chain will probably be rubbing on the sides of the cage in all be the middle cog positions.

alfeng said:
You don't have to trade (though I would be willing!) ...

To use your 10-speed rear derailleur with the 9-speed shifters you just need to use the alternate anchoring position at 9 o'clock.

Unfortunately, to use the front derailleur you will want to get a 10-speed chain otherwise the 9-speed chain will probably be rubbing on the sides of the cage in all be the middle cog positions.
I just installed an Ultegra 10spd front derailler on my Allez Elite 9spd set up. I just had to play with the adjustments but I got it set and all is good. I go for a ride tomorrow and I'm confident all will be well. BTW, I have Shimano 105 9spd components.

I'm wanting to try to install an Ultegra 10spd rear derailler as well. Anyone try that yet?

If you decide to get rid of the 10spd derailler lemme know. I'll swap you my 105 rear and front.

Thanks! and good luck.

alfeng said:
Y

Why? They have the same pull ratio, you shouldn't even have to do that!! He's not talking about mixing 9-speed/10-speed shifter and cassettes. The spacing is determined by the shifters, not the derailleur.

MartianMan said:
Why? They have the same pull ratio, you shouldn't even have to do that!! He's not talking about mixing 9-speed/10-speed shifter and cassettes. The spacing is determined by the shifters, not the derailleur.

Second that, the shifters determine the pull, not the derailleurs.

Hillman 531 said:
i have a 10sp RD with 9 sp shifters and casette and they work without a problem. :)
Newbie question... Can you run a 10spd setup (FD, RD, 10spd Cassette, chain) with a 9 spd shifter? What would be the problems one would encounter? Can it be done?

Thanks!

Gee3 said:
Newbie question... Can you run a 10spd setup (FD, RD, 10spd Cassette, chain) with a 9 spd shifter? What would be the problems one would encounter? Can it be done?

Thanks!
Cannot be done...

I'm going to assume we're talking just about Shimano parts... The problem is in the shifters. A nine speed shifter pulls the cable a certain amount for each shift. The 10 speed shifter pulls the cable a different amount. So the rear derailleur will move a different amount depending on which shifter you're using. Looking at it a different way, the nine cogs at the back take up the same room as ten cogs. Therefore the space between cogs is less for ten speeds than nine which is why the shifters are different. Ergo sum, it just can't be made to work.

John Swanson

Gee3 said:

Thanks!