Will vitamins in food breakdown after refrigeration?

I usually microwave a yam at night to have for the next days lunch. Do
the vitamins breakdown after being in the refrigerator for one day?

>I usually microwave a yam at night to have for the next days lunch. Do
> the vitamins breakdown after being in the refrigerator for one day?

yes, some do.
to be more precise: some do more (vitamin c), some do (practically) not
(niacin).

reason:
freezing destroys (some of the) the cells of your food by ice crystal
growth. when you thaw the food next time, the vitamins are more easily
accessible by oxygen and are oxidized faster than non-frozen food. the
longer they are in your microwave the greater the breakdown will be.

"MMu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >I usually microwave a yam at night to have for the next days lunch. Do
> > the vitamins breakdown after being in the refrigerator for one day?

> yes, some do.
> to be more precise: some do more (vitamin c), some do (practically) not
> (niacin).
>
> reason:
> freezing destroys (some of the) the cells of your food by ice crystal
> growth. when you thaw the food next time, the vitamins are more easily
> accessible by oxygen and are oxidized faster than non-frozen food. the
> longer they are in your microwave the greater the breakdown will be.

Uhhh, my refrigerator does not freeze my food. You need to turn the
temperature up some.

--
Dr. Dickie
Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438

> Uhhh, my refrigerator does not freeze my food. You need to turn the
> temperature up some.

well, since he said he puts the thing in the microwave the night before he
eats it I supposed it was frozen before that.

otherwise: storing something in the fridge for one day should not have a
very big effect on vitamin content.