Will vitamins in food breakdown after refrigeration?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Mar 9, 2005.

  1. I usually microwave a yam at night to have for the next days lunch. Do
    the vitamins breakdown after being in the refrigerator for one day?

    Tags:

  2. MMu

    MMu Guest

    >I usually microwave a yam at night to have for the next days lunch. Do
    > the vitamins breakdown after being in the refrigerator for one day?

    yes, some do.
    to be more precise: some do more (vitamin c), some do (practically) not
    (niacin).

    reason:
    freezing destroys (some of the) the cells of your food by ice crystal
    growth. when you thaw the food next time, the vitamins are more easily
    accessible by oxygen and are oxidized faster than non-frozen food. the
    longer they are in your microwave the greater the breakdown will be.

  3. Dr_Dickie

    Dr_Dickie Guest

    "MMu" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >I usually microwave a yam at night to have for the next days lunch. Do
    > > the vitamins breakdown after being in the refrigerator for one day?

    > yes, some do.
    > to be more precise: some do more (vitamin c), some do (practically) not
    > (niacin).
    >
    > reason:
    > freezing destroys (some of the) the cells of your food by ice crystal
    > growth. when you thaw the food next time, the vitamins are more easily
    > accessible by oxygen and are oxidized faster than non-frozen food. the
    > longer they are in your microwave the greater the breakdown will be.

    Uhhh, my refrigerator does not freeze my food. You need to turn the
    temperature up some.

    --
    Dr. Dickie
    Skepticult member in good standing #394-00596-438

  4. MMu

    MMu Guest

    > Uhhh, my refrigerator does not freeze my food. You need to turn the
    > temperature up some.

    well, since he said he puts the thing in the microwave the night before he
    eats it I supposed it was frozen before that.

    otherwise: storing something in the fridge for one day should not have a
    very big effect on vitamin content.