Will Vittorias really melt on my rollers??

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by J & D Klau, Feb 7, 2003.

  1. J & D Klau

    J & D Klau Guest

    The local rep for Vittoria tires (which I love for the road) told me that they will "literally melt"
    (his words) on my rollers. I usually use "sacrifice" tires on the rollers, and I'm running out of
    same, but I'm hesitant to use my old Vittoria (Open Corsa TT) tires. I used cheap tires one year,
    but they were hell to mount, and even worse to unmount, so I've sworn off them.

    TIA,

    --
    -Jennifer reply to: jen at klau dot com

    Tags:

  2. J & D Klau <[email protected]> wrote:

    >The local rep for Vittoria tires (which I love for the road) told me that they will "literally
    >melt" (his words) on my rollers.

    Only if you set the tires on fire... in other words, he was full of shit.

    "Going to war without the French is like going deer hunting without an accordion." - Crackers

  3. > >The local rep for Vittoria tires (which I love for the road) told me that they will "literally
    > >melt" (his words) on my rollers.
    >
    > Only if you set the tires on fire... in other words, he was full of shit.

    I have seen a couple tires that did, in fact, seem to almost melt after a couple uses on a trainer.
    Most recent one was a Michelin Axial Pro Race and it looked, for all the world, as if the center of
    the tire had in fact melted in some places. I doubt that's an accurate term for what happened to it,
    but it is what it looked like.

    Perhaps Jobst can explain why trainers are so bad on tires?

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReaction.com

    "Garrison Hilliard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > J & D Klau <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >The local rep for Vittoria tires (which I love for the road) told me that they will "literally
    > >melt" (his words) on my rollers.
    >
    > Only if you set the tires on fire... in other words, he was full of shit.
    >
    > "Going to war without the French is like going deer hunting without an accordion." - Crackers

  4. Dave H

    Dave H Guest

    "Garrison Hilliard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > J & D Klau <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >The local rep for Vittoria tires (which I love for the road) told me that they will "literally
    > >melt" (his words) on my rollers.
    >
    > Only if you set the tires on fire... in other words, he was full of shit.

    I don't think so. It happened to me with a pair of Continentals.

    dave h

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

  6. Sam Huffman

    Sam Huffman Guest

    Terry Morse <[email protected]> writes:

    > Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
    >
    > > Perhaps Jobst can explain why trainers are so bad on tires?
    >
    > I'm not Jobst, but I went to the same school. I'll make a wag at an explanation:
    >
    > The contact patch is quite small compared to the road, requiring a pretty high contact pressure to
    > prevent slippage. But slippage still occurs, scrubbing off rubber and possibly opening up small
    > cuts in the tire's surface.

    It might also be that the same few inches of roller are used repeatedly; there is an opportunity for
    heat buildup on the roller itself that will not occur on the road.

    Sam

  7. Digger

    Digger Guest

    J & D Klau <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > The local rep for Vittoria tires (which I love for the road) told me that they will "literally
    > melt" (his words) on my rollers. I usually use "sacrifice" tires on the rollers, and I'm running
    > out of same, but I'm hesitant to use my old Vittoria (Open Corsa TT) tires. I used cheap tires one
    > year, but they were hell to mount, and even worse to unmount, so I've sworn off them.
    >
    > TIA,

    When i go turbo training i find that on most tires the central strip goes silver.Also i managed to
    take off most of the rubber of a Vittoria Action tire and have a strong smell of burning rubber,i
    also noticed that occasionaly when you turbo train with a group of people you some get the smell of
    a burning tire.

  8. garrison-<< Only if you set the tires on fire... in other words, he was full of shit.

    Concur-

    << "Going to war without the French is like going deer hunting without an accordion."

    really liked this!!!

  9. On 08 Feb 2003 14:26:21 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

    ><< "Going to war without the French is like going deer hunting without an accordion."
    >
    >really liked this!!!

    Hey, here's my entire NY Times "letter to the editor":

    I rarely get political, but...

    Regarding the Iraq situation... let me just say that going to war without France is like deer
    hunting without an accordian and my comment about Germany's being reluctant to go to war is, well,
    gee... there's a first time for everything, isn't there?

    p.s. I really don't want to antagonize any French politicians out there though, because I know that
    (speaking for both the U.S. and U.K.) you'll be there every time you need us.