Wind and wuthering

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just zis Guy, you know?, Sep 22, 2004.

  1. I had the genesis of an idea the other day to foxtrot over to Bob's and get
    a new pair of rims on the tourer, with wear indicators (I had been using
    Shimano RimEater[tm] brake blocks).

    So having trespassed on his goodwill to the tune of a wheel build left
    uncollected for umpteen months, on Saturday I collected the wheels and last
    night fitted them to the bike, along with new Kool-Stop Eagle pads. My word
    but they are grippy! I wonder what they'll be like in the wet? Early
    indications are that I might find out later today...

    So today I rode the New Improved Tourer to work, only to remember why it was
    that I bought the recumbent in the first place: strong gusting winds
    alternating between againsterly and blow-you-off-the-bike. From genesis to
    revelation, as it were. 17.5mph where yesterday it was 20.5; my time
    estimate for the journey was more than several seconds out. So I think the
    'bent might be back on the road tomorrow...

    As an aside, the wind was sufficiently intimidatng this morning that I
    actually donned my polystyrene foam deflector beanie in case the wind's
    invisible touch caused the bike to exhibit a trick of the tail and go
    sideways on me.

    I'm thinking of swapping the cranks on the 'bent for fractionally shorter
    ones (cf. earlier "isn't-that-boom-a-bit-short" conversation following the
    Cyclefest pictures), so might transfer the long ones to the tourer. It has
    a Stronglight / TA Cyclotouriste crankset which is showing signs of
    impending doom after a mere 22 years. I blame this on the spindles of
    sealed-bearing bottom brackets, as I never had a problem with the old
    cup-and-cone jobs.

    I had a nice chat with a bloke on the train who works at RAL; his journey is
    somewhat quicker by car, alas, so he's only going to be an occasional
    travelling companion, although there is a strong cycling culture there (but
    not in IT, where this bloke works - why is everybody I meet a geek?). He
    has what looks like an audax bike with a steel seatpin(!) and Campagnolo
    screw-on freewheel for which he says parts are slightly less easy to obtain
    than rocking horse manure, so if anyone knows where such might be had I'll
    pass the info on.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

  2. >I had the genesis of an idea the other day to foxtrot over to Bob's and get
    >a new pair of rims on the tourer,

    I do hope you were suitably attired in top hat, white tie and tails...

    Cheers, helen s

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > As an aside, the wind was sufficiently intimidatng this morning that I
    > actually donned my polystyrene foam deflector beanie in case the wind's
    > invisible touch caused the bike to exhibit a trick of the tail and go
    > sideways on me.

    In which case you might lie down on the road. Possibly the broadway! ;-)

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  4. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    says...
    > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    >
    > > As an aside, the wind was sufficiently intimidatng this morning that I
    > > actually donned my polystyrene foam deflector beanie in case the wind's
    > > invisible touch caused the bike to exhibit a trick of the tail and go
    > > sideways on me.

    > In which case you might lie down on the road. Possibly the broadway! ;-)

    Poor little lamb. He just can't dance you know!

    Jon

  5. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    says...
    > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    >
    > > As an aside, the wind was sufficiently intimidatng this morning that I
    > > actually donned my polystyrene foam deflector beanie in case the wind's
    > > invisible touch caused the bike to exhibit a trick of the tail and go
    > > sideways on me.

    > In which case you might lie down on the road. Possibly the broadway! ;-)

    Poor little lamb. He just can't dance you know!

    Jon

  6. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    says...
    > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    >
    > > As an aside, the wind was sufficiently intimidatng this morning that I
    > > actually donned my polystyrene foam deflector beanie in case the wind's
    > > invisible touch caused the bike to exhibit a trick of the tail and go
    > > sideways on me.

    > In which case you might lie down on the road. Possibly the broadway! ;-)

    Poor little lamb. He just can't dance you know!

    Jon

  7. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    Jon Senior wrote:
    > says...
    > > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > >
    > > > As an aside, the wind was sufficiently intimidatng this morning

    that I
    > > > actually donned my polystyrene foam deflector beanie in case the

    wind's
    > > > invisible touch caused the bike to exhibit a trick of the tail

    and go
    > > > sideways on me.

    > > In which case you might lie down on the road. Possibly the

    broadway! ;-)

    > Poor little lamb. He just can't dance you know!
    >
    > Jon

    But Seriously, I don't know how you lot can Live! with yourselves
    blatently plugging products on this public newsgroup. Might as well say
    buy Brand X and dispense with the sublety.

  8. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    MSeries wrote:

    > But Seriously, I don't know how you lot can Live! with yourselves
    > blatently plugging products on this public newsgroup. Might as well say
    > buy Brand X and dispense with the sublety.

    You'd have to check your bankstatement first. Of course, good mechanics
    need paying if they're going to have a hacket your bike.

    Pete.
    --

  9. Peter Clinch wrote:

    > You'd have to check your bankstatement first. Of course, good
    > mechanics need paying if they're going to have a hacket your bike.

    You can always raise money the Lawson way, selling England by the pound.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington
    University

  10. Peter Clinch wrote:

    > With enough pounds you could afford to upgrade the Me + U2 to the new
    > deluxe version, which I believe is to be called, the "And then there
    > were 3"...

    For extra points, guess what the link to the Me'n'U2 page on my website
    says...

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington
    University

  11. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > You can always raise money the Lawson way, selling England by the pound.

    With enough pounds you could afford to upgrade the Me + U2 to the new
    deluxe version, which I believe is to be called, the "And then there
    were 3"...

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  12. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > For extra points, guess what the link to the Me'n'U2 page on my website
    > says...

    It's getting so hard[1] so keep this going...

    Pete.

    [1] Oh-ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Ha ha HA, euuugh!
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  13. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    follow me and I'll follow you? honest, I haven't looked

  14. MartinM wrote:

    > follow me and I'll follow you? honest, I haven't looked

    Yes, pictures of me and the carpet crawlers on the megabike. More fool me,
    eh? Better than counting out time in the cage in that grand parade of
    lifeless packaging, though.

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington
    University

  15. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    >
    > > follow me and I'll follow you? honest, I haven't looked

    > Yes, pictures of me and the carpet crawlers on the megabike. More

    fool me,
    > eh? Better than counting out time in the cage in that grand parade

    of
    > lifeless packaging, though.

    or having your light die down on (Ealing) Broadway ;-)

  16. MartinM wrote:

    > or having your light die down on (Ealing) Broadway ;-)

    Are we back to the SON et lumière thread again?

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington
    University

  17. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    >
    > > or having your light die down on (Ealing) Broadway ;-)

    > Are we back to the SON et lumière thread again?

    before my time I'm afraid. Anything after Trick of the Tail is also
    after my time as it became a hanging offence at 6th form college to
    listen to anything other than Clash Pistols Stranglers Buzzcocks
    Magazine and Jam post 1977.

  18. MartinM wrote:
    >..................... it became a hanging offence at 6th form college to
    > listen to anything other than Clash Pistols Stranglers Buzzcocks
    > Magazine and Jam post 1977.

    and so it should be, it still is in my car and in my house

  19. Martin Newstead wrote:

    > and so it should be, it still is in my car and in my house

    Oooh, Mr 'Orn, bold, very bold!

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at Washington
    University

  20. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Martin Newstead wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    > >..................... it became a hanging offence at 6th form

    college to
    > > listen to anything other than Clash Pistols Stranglers Buzzcocks
    > > Magazine and Jam post 1977.

    > and so it should be, it still is in my car and in my house

    Kraftwerk? I'll get the noose.