Wind Direction in Netherlands

stokell

Jan 20, 2005
I'm doing the North Sea Route from Den Helder to Boulogne Sur Mer in April/May of 2007.

What is the predominent wind direction of the North Sea at that time of year?

Published information says it is from the southwest, but my BBC weather logs say it is mostly from the west and north. That would suggest starting in Den Helder would put the wind at my back.

Any comments?

stokell said:
I'm doing the North Sea Route from Den Helder to Boulogne Sur Mer in April/May of 2007.

What is the predominent wind direction of the North Sea at that time of year?

Published information says it is from the southwest, but my BBC weather logs say it is mostly from the west and north. That would suggest starting in Den Helder would put the wind at my back.

Any comments?

Hi, I would say about 95% of the time the wind comes from the West.
You can check this site out >>> http://www.knmi.nl/klimatologie/daggegevens/index.cgi
Just type in the dates and you will get the report, some dates it wont give though I typed in April 29 2006 and nothing but the 28th it gave the report for that day.
Its also in English
Hope it helps you out some, cheers

Thanks that's a great link for Netherlands weather.

Just a matter of interest, I ran Den Helder for the time period I will be in Benelux and France and of the 12 days I logged between April 16 and May 11 in 2004, 2005 and 2006, the wind was out of the east 11 times, out of the south 10 times and out of the west 8 times.

stokell said:
Just a matter of interest, I ran Den Helder for the time period I will be in Benelux and France and of the 12 days I logged between April 16 and May 11 in 2004, 2005 and 2006, the wind was out of the east 11 times, out of the south 10 times and out of the west 8 times.

The average I gave (95%) is over the whole year.
If we have an east wind in winter or summer it calls for extreem temperatures.
In spring or fall an east wind will most likely bring rain.
But that is here in Maastricht a couple hundred kms inland.
April and May is still very early in the season, it can get very wet and cold.
cheers

That sounds like Canada:
East wind--rain
West wind --fair
North wind--cold
South wind--hot

Also, after May it seems the westerlies pick up, but I'm hoping to start my trip early, so I'm still not sure which direction to travel. While I have your attention; what do you think the Dutch (I seem to recall you're Greek-American) feel about stealth camping?

Normally I bike all day and just crash out of sight near a bike path in some trees. I'm gone early so usually no one knows I've been there. Are the Netherlanders crazy about trespass laws, or do you think they might tolerate me?

My wife and I just came back from a long weekend ride to Vlissingen, (via Bergen op Zoom) on the way I did notice a few wooded areas that looked a bit remote.
I'm sure that if you spoted a place and returned there just before it got dark (and nobody saw you) there wouldn't be a problem.
On weekdays it would be even less likely that you will be noticed, as there are less cyclist out there. That early in the season and there would hardly be many toursists about.
I would not go over an electrified fance as there might be bulls in there and then you might have a problem.
Most people would probably wont even care. I wouldn't wory so much.