Wind farm industry in jeopardy due to financial demands of National Grid

Allan Gould

Guest
Wind farm industry in jeopardy due to financial demands of National Grid

Wind farm developers in Scotland are having to cancel future projects
because National Grid is demanding millions of pounds in guarantees for
electricity grid upgrades, while capacity is so limited that the queue
for grid connections is now 10 years long.

http://www.sundayherald.com/53638

(Sunday Herald is part of the Newsquest Group. tgo is also part of the
Newsquest group)

Allan Gould wrote:
> Wind farm industry in jeopardy

Great! Best news I've heard all week. I've had to re-plan many of my
favourite walks to avoid these useless eyesores.

Another Dave

[email protected] said...
> Allan Gould wrote:
> > Wind farm industry in jeopardy

> Great! Best news I've heard all week. I've had to re-plan many of my
> favourite walks to avoid these useless eyesores.

Useless?? I think not.

--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

In message <[email protected]>, Fran
<[email protected]> writes
>[email protected] said...
>> Allan Gould wrote:
>> > Wind farm industry in jeopardy

>> Great! Best news I've heard all week. I've had to re-plan many of my
>> favourite walks to avoid these useless eyesores.
>>

>Useless?? I think not.

The Germans have concluded so and stopped erecting anymore.

--
Martin Richardson
272/284 Munros - 4% to go 34/34 'Furths'- 0% to go

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 21:49:21 +0000, Another Dave <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Allan Gould wrote:
>> Wind farm industry in jeopardy

>Great! Best news I've heard all week. I've had to re-plan many of my
>favourite walks to avoid these useless eyesores.

Sadly the other useless eyesores, roads and sitka are harder to avoid.
Most hills with windmills are honestly improved by them

Black Law and Soutra anyone???? Quality landscapes.

Richard Webb

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 00:33:55 +0000, Martin Richardson
<[email protected]> wrote:

>In message <[email protected]>, Fran
><[email protected]> writes
>>[email protected] said...
>>>
>>> Great! Best news I've heard all week. I've had to re-plan many of my
>>> favourite walks to avoid these useless eyesores.
>>>

>>Useless?? I think not.

Of course you are happy to have a reprocessing plant in your back
yard?

Face facts. Use energy - you pay! All generators have a cost, some
cost more than changing a flat piece of sitka wood into a flat piece
of sitka wood with some windmills, some less, but get real, it costs
and some folk are always going to get upset, perhaps today is your
turn.

Who remembers Benula Lodge?
Easy access to Benbeoch?
Sticky boots at the base of Pembroke climbs?
Windy Standard with just a trig?

Richard Webb

"Fran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [email protected] said...
>> Allan Gould wrote:
>> > Wind farm industry in jeopardy

>> Great! Best news I've heard all week. I've had to re-plan many of my
>> favourite walks to avoid these useless eyesores.
>>

> Useless?? I think not.

Lets stick them in your backyard then!

wrote:

|Allan Gould wrote:
|> Wind farm industry in jeopardy
|
|Great! Best news I've heard all week. I've had to re-plan many of my
|favourite walks to avoid these useless eyesores.

I rather like the look of modern wind farms. I have diverted several
times to get a good view of them, both in the Netherlands and the UK to
view one. I would never divert to avoid one.

That is apart from the environmental advantages of wind energy.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net

[email protected] said...

> >>Useless?? I think not.

> Of course you are happy to have a reprocessing plant in your back
> yard?

Yes. I voted in favour of the plans for a windfarm in my area which
would be clearly visible from my house.
--

Fran <[email protected]> wrote:
> [email protected] said...

>> Of course you are happy to have a reprocessing plant in your back
>> yard?
>>

> Yes. I voted in favour of the plans for a windfarm in my area which
> would be clearly visible from my house.

I'd have no problem, either.

--
Nobby

I don't mind having a Wind Farm near me. After all, I live on the edge
of a large town - that would make a lot of sense.

druidh wrote:
> I don't mind having a Wind Farm near me. After all, I live on the edge
> of a large town - that would make a lot of sense.

Indeed. One on the Sidlaws and one in the middle of the Monadhliath are
two rather different propositions, and things like the latter seemed
mainly to be progressing because windfarms have been the Taxbreak du
jour, rather than any given one necessarily makes Good Sense.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

>>Great! Best news I've heard all week. I've had to re-plan many of my
>>favourite walks to avoid these useless eyesores.

> Sadly the other useless eyesores, roads and sitka are harder to avoid.
> Most hills with windmills are honestly improved by them

Reminds me of the view across Pegwell Bay of the Richborough power station.
(Allegedly) had it's cooling towers stretched slightly to complement the
landscape (flat). IMHO it's worked quite well, particularly nice at
sunset. Still an eyesore close up tho.

Fran wrote:

>> Great! Best news I've heard all week. I've had to re-plan many of my
>> favourite walks to avoid these useless eyesores.
>>

> Useless?? I think not.

How about "nominal" then? Or to translate a rather quaint Welsh
colloquialism - a gnat's **** in the sea.

Paul

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 12:17:53 +0000, Peter Clinch
<[email protected]> wrote:

>druidh wrote:
>> I don't mind having a Wind Farm near me. After all, I live on the edge
>> of a large town - that would make a lot of sense.

>Indeed. One on the Sidlaws and one in the middle of the Monadhliath are
>two rather different propositions, and things like the latter seemed
>mainly to be progressing because windfarms have been the Taxbreak du
>jour, rather than any given one necessarily makes Good Sense.

And they are getting caught out by transmission costs. Mind the
Monadhliath is near a fast expanding city, but as you say we all know
why Mr Haywood is in it.

Richard Webb

>Lets stick them in your backyard then!

Please do.. Will complement Cockenzie and Torness and transmission
losses to the city would be lower.

I like the idea of distributed generation - we could all have a power
station in our back yard. Back to the future eh! Our old farm was the
first place to get wired in the village, thanks to a hydroelectric
plant down on the grade I and a bit rapids.

Richard Webb

Richard Webb wrote:

> we could all have a power station in our back yard.

Every house could be a power station but there seems to be a
lack of vision to do it.

Or is it that there's just too much revenue to be had from remote
power generation, wholesale and retail

??

Chris

On 23 Jan 2006 07:26:00 -0800, "Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]>
wrote:

|Richard Webb wrote:
|
|> we could all have a power station in our back yard.
|
|Every house could be a power station but there seems to be a
|lack of vision to do it.
|
|Or is it that there's just too much revenue to be had from remote
|power generation, wholesale and retail

No because when power stations were first built ?c1900? they were the
cheapest and easiest way of getting power to houses, street lights,
factories etc. Power stations in the back yard of *ordinary* houses have
only been possible for say 10 years, and are only now becoming economically
viable. Large country houses could have a generator thumping away in the
stable, but it was just not viable to have a generator thumping away for
every back-to-back An ordinary house will always need mains as a backup.
--

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

> An ordinary house will always need mains as a backup.

I never suggested that it wouldn't.

I have a bit of a beef regarding domestic energy efficiency and
generation. I do not believe that any government to-date has
really engaged seriously with it. The technology, as you say,
has now arrived and we should now be looking to minimise the
domestic energy sink (rather than the domestic kitchen sink).

Chris

> I never suggested that it wouldn't.
>
> I have a bit of a beef regarding domestic energy efficiency and
> generation. I do not believe that any government to-date has
> really engaged seriously with it. The technology, as you say,
> has now arrived and we should now be looking to minimise the
> domestic energy sink (rather than the domestic kitchen sink).

No need to wait for the government, just get to it - it's your house after
all.