Wind farm industry in jeopardy due to financial demands of National Grid

Mark Thompson wrote:

> No need to wait for the government, just get to it - it's your house
> after all.

A perfectly valid point that my Conservation Area status and Grade II
listing interferes with :)

Chris

"Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Mark Thompson wrote:
>
>> No need to wait for the government, just get to it - it's your house
>> after all.

> A perfectly valid point that my Conservation Area status and Grade II
> listing interferes with :)

I think the government could do more in the way of grants. There doesn't
seem much in the way of active encouragement and all it seems to be doing at
the moment is wringing it's hands about reintroducing nuclear power. Oh for
some strong leadership.....

Graham

[email protected] said...
> > I never suggested that it wouldn't.
> >
> > I have a bit of a beef regarding domestic energy efficiency and
> > generation. I do not believe that any government to-date has
> > really engaged seriously with it. The technology, as you say,
> > has now arrived and we should now be looking to minimise the
> > domestic energy sink (rather than the domestic kitchen sink).

> No need to wait for the government, just get to it - it's your house after
> all.

Not that simple, unfortunately. I want to put solar panels in the roof
here. I've had them before at another house and they're fantastic. But
(there's always a but, isn't there) the cost of installation probably
means that it's about the least sensible thing I could do because even
were I eligible for a government grant the cost would still be
prohibitive.
--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

[email protected] said...

> "Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Mark Thompson wrote:
> >
> >> No need to wait for the government, just get to it - it's your house
> >> after all.

> > A perfectly valid point that my Conservation Area status and Grade II
> > listing interferes with :)
> >

> I think the government could do more in the way of grants. There doesn't
> seem much in the way of active encouragement and all it seems to be doing at
> the moment is wringing it's hands about reintroducing nuclear power. Oh for
> some strong leadership.....

Or even *any* leadership.

--
To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
where common sense dictates.

In message <[email protected]>
"Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Mark Thompson wrote:
>
>> No need to wait for the government, just get to it - it's your house
>> after all.

> A perfectly valid point that my Conservation Area status and Grade II
> listing interferes with :)

Should think so too. No point in worrying about environmental damage
if the solutions to it make a mess of the few places worth still
keeping.

--
Simon Challands

In article <[email protected]>, Fran
<[email protected]> writes
>[email protected] said...
>> Allan Gould wrote:
>> > Wind farm industry in jeopardy

>> Great! Best news I've heard all week. I've had to re-plan many of my
>> favourite walks to avoid these useless eyesores.
>>

>Useless?? I think not.

Eyesores - definitely.

As for having a use, well they don't produce enough electricity
considering the number of windmills are required, so in a sense -
Useless.

As a power supply surveyor I had to be damned careful where I sited
overhead lines when it came to impairing the visual amenity. These
windmills have carte-blanche to be placed pretty well anywhere.

When I talk of power lines I refer mainly to wood pole lines of
relatively insignificant environmental impact.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk

[email protected] said...
> As a power supply surveyor I had to be damned careful where I sited
> overhead lines when it came to impairing the visual amenity. These
> windmills have carte-blanche to be placed pretty well anywhere.

Not really they don't - there's always an enquiry of some sort and the
public voice carries the day. The one that was to be sited near
Blaenllechau (or wherever it was) has been shelved.
--

Simon Challands wrote:

> Should think so too. No point in worrying about environmental damage
> if the solutions to it make a mess of the few places worth still
> keeping.

I still think that there are things that I could do with my house that
would not conflict with the status of the area. Solar tiles, for
example,
and carefully sighted solar water heating panels, not to mention
ridge-line wind turbines. My house could be generating, admittedly
low wattage, electricity all day while I'm at work and not using it
myself.

Of course retro-fitting it all to an older house is not
straight-forward
but I can't see why new builds don't incorporate it as a part of a
standard design.

Chris

On 24 Jan 2006 01:24:41 -0800, "Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]>
wrote:

|Simon Challands wrote:
|
|> Should think so too. No point in worrying about environmental damage
|> if the solutions to it make a mess of the few places worth still
|> keeping.
|
|I still think that there are things that I could do with my house that
|would not conflict with the status of the area. Solar tiles, for
|example,
|and carefully sighted solar water heating panels, not to mention
|ridge-line wind turbines. My house could be generating, admittedly
|low wattage, electricity all day while I'm at work and not using it
|myself.
|
|Of course retro-fitting it all to an older house is not
|straight-forward
|but I can't see why new builds don't incorporate it as a part of a
|standard design.

The pay back time is still too long :-(
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

> The pay back time is still too long :-(

How are you measuring cost ? Money ? Environmental
damage ? Carbon emmissions ? Is absolutely none of it
worth doing ? Shall we all go and kill ourselves now
rather than wait for the planet to incinerate ? Where do
you draw the line. What creative, practical solutions can
you propose that might at least begin to address this
admittedly huge problem ?

??

Chris

On 24 Jan 2006 05:27:43 -0800, "Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]>
wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
|> The pay back time is still too long :-(
|
|How are you measuring cost ? Money ? Environmental
|damage ? Carbon emmissions ? Is absolutely none of it
|worth doing ? Shall we all go and kill ourselves now
|rather than wait for the planet to incinerate ? Where do
|you draw the line. What creative, practical solutions can
|you propose that might at least begin to address this
|admittedly huge problem ?

I am trying to find out where the not uncommon convention of putting a
space before ? etc. Where/when did you learn it?
--

wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
|> The pay back time is still too long :-(
|
|How are you measuring cost ? Money ? Environmental
|damage ? Carbon emmissions ? Is absolutely none of it
|worth doing ? Shall we all go and kill ourselves now
|rather than wait for the planet to incinerate ? Where do
|you draw the line. What creative, practical solutions can
|you propose that might at least begin to address this
|admittedly huge problem ?

Money is the only criteria cash strapped house buyers think of :-(
If you can not pay the mortgage repayments you are in dead stuck.
Only the well of can afford to think about the other things.
--

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

> Money is the only criteria cash strapped house buyers
> think of :-(
> If you can not pay the mortgage repayments you are in
> dead stuck.
> Only the well of can afford to think about the other things.

So you're only thinking in terms of whether its worth the
householder investing in alternate forms of energy to save
on electrickery bills. Now I understand. Thank you for the
clarification.

Chris

Dave Fawthrop wrote:

> I am trying to find out where the not uncommon convention of putting a
> space before ? etc. Where/when did you learn it?

No doubt it started because some fonts place the ? too close to the
preceding letter and it looks bad.

Paul

On 24 Jan 2006 06:12:30 -0800, "Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]>
wrote:

|Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
|> Money is the only criteria cash strapped house buyers
|> think of :-(
|> If you can not pay the mortgage repayments you are in
|> dead stuck.
|> Only the well of can afford to think about the other things.
|
|So you're only thinking in terms of whether its worth the
|householder investing in alternate forms of energy to save
|on electrickery bills. Now I understand. Thank you for the
|clarification.

So you can throw money away, and never expect a return.
Wish I was that rich :-(
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net
For Yorkshire Dialect go to www.hyphenologist.co.uk/songs/

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:10:22 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I rather like the look of modern wind farms.

So do I. I also like the look of York Minster, but I wouldn't like
top see a similar building built in the middle of unspoiled
countryside.

Oppose ID cards and the database state
http://www.no2id.com/

W. D. Grey <[email protected]> wrote

>As a power supply surveyor I had to be damned careful where I sited
>overhead lines when it came to impairing the visual amenity. These
>windmills have carte-blanche to be placed pretty well anywhere.

It must certainly have taken some ingenuity to manage to get power lines
on every single landscape photograph I have taken. ;-)
--
Gordon Harris

In message <[email protected]>
"Chris Gilbert" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Simon Challands wrote:
>
>> Should think so too. No point in worrying about environmental damage
>> if the solutions to it make a mess of the few places worth still
>> keeping.

> I still think that there are things that I could do with my house that
> would not conflict with the status of the area. Solar tiles, for
> example,
> and carefully sighted solar water heating panels, not to mention
> ridge-line wind turbines. My house could be generating, admittedly
> low wattage, electricity all day while I'm at work and not using it
> myself.

Nah, but when it comes to buildings I'm a ridiculously outdated old-
fashioned luddite. Stone for the walls, slate on the roof, wood in the
window frames, anything else doesn't feel right to me. This view might
be biased from living in a modern flat that's suffered from what I
presume are various irritating modern building regulations.

--
Simon Challands

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:19:53 +0000, Simon Caldwell
<[email protected]> wrote:

|On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 11:10:22 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
|<[email protected]> wrote:
|

|>I rather like the look of modern wind farms.
|
|So do I. I also like the look of York Minster, but I wouldn't like
|top see a similar building built in the middle of unspoiled
|countryside.

There isn't an acre of countryside in the UK which is unspoiled.
It was and is produced by *man* Wind farms are just another bit made by
man.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk>
17,000 free e-books at Project Gutenberg! http://www.gutenberg.net
For Yorkshire Dialect go to www.hyphenologist.co.uk/songs/

In article <[email protected]>, Fran
<[email protected]> writes
>Not really they don't - there's always an enquiry of some sort and the
>public voice carries the day. The one that was to be sited near
>Blaenllechau (or wherever it was) has been shelved.

True - there is /aways/ a public outcry, but quite a few have slipped
through the net.

A soft touch for a site would possibly be a farmer with an unproductive
couple of fields - he's offered a directorship in the company for the
pleasure of having a couple of masts on his land and a share of the
profits.
--
Bill Grey
http://www.billboy.co.uk