Wind just kills my speed

cdaleguy

Nov 13, 2004
I ride on a pretty flat terrain but it can get windy at times (15+mph .....constant...not including gusts). When I am riding in to the wind, it just kills my speed....putting my riding speed at as low as 9mph. I have riddin with some others and it doesn't seem to slow them as much. Is this a lack of leg strength, mainly?...because I have equal to more leg strength than most (actual leg strength that is....versus bicycle riding leg strength....i'm guessing there is a difference). What gives?

25 looks and no reply? You guys must have SOME input. Please gimme some help here.

cdaleguy said:
25 looks and no reply? You guys must have SOME input. Please gimme some help here.
effective drag area. Get into a more effective tuck. This should improve your speed slightly. Gear down , use higher cadence. A higher rpm uses less leg fatigue to get you to the same wattage power output. If you had higher leg strength, you wouldn't need to gear down. You just have to figure out how to lower your frontal area. Less frontal area means less wind resistance.
You may not have the endurance to push a 15mph wind for very long. Keep the body fueled and this will ensure a constant power output. It doesn't do much good if you lose power output when the power is required.

cdaleguy said:

You will have to check your speed again. You must have an accurate wind speed though. a 15mph headwind with your speed of 9 mph would require 115 watts in a good tuck. I would say the wind speed would have to be at least 30mph to give you that much trouble.

it would require 255 watts to pedal 9 mph into a 30 mph constant headwind.

115 watts is a stroll in the park.

before you ride next time, check the wind conditions for the day.

cdaleguy said:
You didn't get many responses because most of us know the simple answer. As lowracer said, a lot more power output is needed for headwinds. And most every rider wants more power to go faster into headwinds, or uphill...no matter how fast we are.

You can reduce the power needed by learning how to work in a good aero tuck position, and zipping up a tight-fitting jersey. Other than that, it's all about training, diet and recovery.

Training once a week at your 30-minute TT power, or doing various interval workouts at high intensity is the standard prescription. You could get quite precise with schedules, or you could just keep riding with your buddies, and pushing hard when you feel good.

Eventually, there will be a day when you're feeling strong, and they are weak or tired, and you'll be hanging in for the whole ride. I'm older now, so I have to rely a lot on wheelsucking and energy conservation, but that's not something to encourage.

No magic answers, or we'd all be fast all the time. Does this answer help?

Great answers! Glad to see that everybody struggles in the wind. I will check the actual wind speed (gusts also) before I ride next time. I can't wait for the day (like said) that I feel strong and others feel weak (don't you love that feeling....like all the training has paid off...although, I haven't felt it in the wind yet). I will try the things that were suggested (tuck position, higher cadence...but it seems like I just need more training).

Does your helmet aerodynamics contribute much (if any) in a headwind? Gotta get all the technological advances I can afford.

I had to contend with impossible winds last year. I recall progressing a few yards uphill and then being blown back downwards. That's how strong it was. I recall a lot of cussing and swearing (a la John Mcenroe) as I couldn't seem to get on top of those gales. Later I learned some cars had been blown over the day I went out.

cdaleguy said:
Great answers! Glad to see that everybody struggles in the wind. I will check the actual wind speed (gusts also) before I ride next time. I can't wait for the day (like said) that I feel strong and others feel weak (don't you love that feeling....like all the training has paid off...although, I haven't felt it in the wind yet). I will try the things that were suggested (tuck position, higher cadence...but it seems like I just need more training).

Does your helmet aerodynamics contribute much (if any) in a headwind? Gotta get all the technological advances I can afford.

I live in central Illinois, lots of open fields here in the winter. So 15 mph steady wind is not that uncommon.

Last winter, I had some tough rides, but the winds were more like 25 to 30 mph with gusts that were a lot more. And I remember being glad to be able to ride 11 mph into those winds. Of course a 30 mph tail wind is nice. But a 20 to 30 mph cross wind is tricky.

Yes we all have troubles with wind. But after riding thru the winter (last year) I found that I don’t notice the wind as much, especially during the summer. I know I’m stronger not than I was prior to last winter.

"Wind just kills my speed" ..... But definitely makes you stronger. Learn to love the wind and it will make you stronger. Just like doing hill repeats. Learn to love the hills and it will make you stronger. Everyone has there own wind drag "factor". The bigger (frontal area) you are the more wind resistance you have to battle. Like what everyone said, try to be more aerodynamic to lessen the power needed to get through the wind drag. If there is a strong headwind, stay behind someone to draft. If you're riding alone, get all the wind you can and pedal ..... hard :D

Wind just kills everybodys speed. If I know I'll be turning into a headwind, I'll take a drink, scarf something if I'm hungry, then tuck down on the aero bars and try to keep the speed up and the knees in. Helps me to sit a little forward on the seat. Crosswinds are what kill me, I hate em. If there's nothing to draft, you just have to suffer, and they seem to go on forever. Still gotta try to stay aero. I alternate between tucking and suffering, and standing and growling. Sometimes I yell at the birds as they try to fly in the crosswind, they seem to understand.

Dr.Hairybiker said:
Wind just kills everybodys speed. If I know I'll be turning into a headwind, I'll take a drink, scarf something if I'm hungry, then tuck down on the aero bars and try to keep the speed up and the knees in. Helps me to sit a little forward on the seat. Crosswinds are what kill me, I hate em. If there's nothing to draft, you just have to suffer, and they seem to go on forever. Still gotta try to stay aero. I alternate between tucking and suffering, and standing and growling. Sometimes I yell at the birds as they try to fly in the crosswind, they seem to understand.
Good tips, and I can relate on the crosswinds. Only thing I'd add is to quit worrying about your speed in the wind. Just relax, concentrate on maintaining a good aero position, good cadence, and a sustainable level of effort.

LOL...it does for most of us. There is an upside though. The first time that you go out in a calm you will feel like a god. :cool:

I never said that wind kills my speed. Not everyone experiences major slowdowns in headwinds.

for example, for a 190lb rider in an aero tuck postion on a triathlon bike, pushing into a headwind of 15 mph on flat ground can maintain 15.5mph with an output of 250 watts on a 20lb bike.

I can with a 250 watt output being 190lbs with a 15mph headwind maintain 20.2 mph with a 27 lb bike.

more examples
20mph headwind 350 watt output (max I can really do for 1/2 hour tops)

= 21.8 mph

on a triathlon bike in full tuck with 350 watt output = 16.2mph

few more comparisons

all these comparisons are made with 300 watt output

headwind speed 0 mph 10 mph 30 mph

lowracer with tailbox 30.3 mph 24.9mph 16.1mph

triathlon bike 25.4mph 19.7mph 11.2mph

So, yes, I guess headwinds do still slow me down, but I just operate on a higher speed scale to begin with.

Yeppers, I agree with you there! Every once in a while, I'll go out for my ride and it just seems like I'm flying. I'm glancing down at the screen and it's showing numbers that make me think I turned into someone different overnight. Then I realize that it's just a windless day. It's so nice that it makes me want to slow down so I can ride all day. Kind of a double edged sword that way.....
rule62 said:
LOL...it does for most of us. There is an upside though. The first time that you go out in a calm you will feel like a god. :cool:

I'm taking a stab here that a "lowracer with tailbox" a recumbent? Correct? Can you send a photo, link or further description?

It's good your numbers certainly confirm that headswinds slow you down, just like everyone else. Would hate to think you've found a way to violate the laws of physics that the rest of us hadn't yet discovered!

I'd just like to add that riding with your knees close to the frame and with your arms turned forward and bent significantly reduces drag. Also, if it's warm outside don't wear a flappy shirt and pants when riding these can really add to your drag. As for riding problems, I just fell off my bike and landed and slided on my ass on a nice patch of ice. No worries, the ice broke my fall and prevented road rash. I'm riding skinny 23 mm tires through the snow and ice. Couldn't put studded tires on, wouldn't fit.

Have fun out there!

dhk said:
I'm taking a stab here that a "lowracer with tailbox" a recumbent? Correct? Can you send a photo, link or further description?

It's good your numbers certainly confirm that headswinds slow you down, just like everyone else. Would hate to think you've found a way to violate the laws of physics that the rest of us hadn't yet discovered!
No I haven't violated laws of physics. maybe just a little french kiss action.

seriously though, here is a picture of the tailfaired lowracer. Same fairing on two different bikes I own. the second picture is on a full carbon platform. the first is on an aluminium frame.

I still have a good 5 to 6 mph advantage over road bikers of the same athletic abiltity though.

http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForumPicPost/trainingsetuppics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=6615

http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForumPicPost/trainingsetuppics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=6616

http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForumPicPost/trainingsetuppics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=7408

here is the profile difference.

http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForumPicPost/trainingsetuppics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=9361

The latest recumbent available is called the nocom. It is a stock class racing recumbent and by theory is very fast , but no race results yet to show.

http://www.bentupcycles.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BUC&Product_Code=VKNOCOM&Category_Code=V

http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/nocom.htm

cdaleguy said:
I ride on a pretty flat terrain but it can get windy at times (15+mph .....constant...not including gusts). When I am riding in to the wind, it just kills my speed....putting my riding speed at as low as 9mph. I have riddin with some others and it doesn't seem to slow them as much. Is this a lack of leg strength, mainly?...because I have equal to more leg strength than most (actual leg strength that is....versus bicycle riding leg strength....i'm guessing there is a difference). What gives?

In your final sentence you have made a very good intuitive guess. Yes there is a difference in leg strength and bicycle riding leg strength, (sustainable power). You have 2 key ways to increase your speed into a headwind.

1 Reduce the force acting against you. Check your position, specifically your handlebar/stem height. If it is set up high for comfort you are increasing your frontal area. This might be worth 1mph or more. Aero bars, even high ones, are worth 1mph and even more if they are low and narrow.

2 Increase your sustainable power. This takes time and consistent training. As you said your legs are strong, but you could put most body building atheletes on a bike and they would be dropped by any good club cyclist withing 20 minutes or less. In leu of getting a coach or reading and trying to follow some of the coaching books available, you should just ride in the wind lots, working up to sustained efforts of an hour. It takes time, but you will improve over time.

The bad thing about riding in the wind: it is so variable that it is hard to measure your progress. Remember not to beat yourself up about it. It's tough for everyone. Most of the guys in the autobus of the Tour day France
are there because they spent the large part of the day, off camera, wearing themselves out slogging into the wind for their team captains.

lowracervk2 said:
No I haven't violated laws of physics. maybe just a little french kiss action.

seriously though, here is a picture of the tailfaired lowracer. Same fairing on two different bikes I own. the second picture is on a full carbon platform. the first is on an aluminium frame.

I still have a good 5 to 6 mph advantage over road bikers of the same athletic abiltity though.

http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForumPicPost/trainingsetuppics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=6615

http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForumPicPost/trainingsetuppics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=6616

http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForumPicPost/trainingsetuppics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=7408

here is the profile difference.

http://groups.msn.com/BicyclingForumPicPost/trainingsetuppics.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=9361

The latest recumbent available is called the nocom. It is a stock class racing recumbent and by theory is very fast , but no race results yet to show.

http://www.bentupcycles.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BUC&Product_Code=VKNOCOM&Category_Code=V

http://www.wisil.recumbents.com/wisil/misc/nocom.htm
Interesting photos. Glad someone is working on these low-drag concepts.

The nocom looks like a great setup to play with on the track, but not sure I'd want to bring it on a club ride around here. I've test-ridden several styles of recumbents and trikes around a parking lot, and they are fun.

Big trade-off on your bike would be the weight of tail fairing. For the hilly riding we have around here, not sure it would be worth the weight. Suppose it's easy to remove when you don't want to haul it up hills.

The problem in hilly terrain is the speed these things generate going down. Unless the road is straight, you're limited by cornering speeds of course. I've descended with a fast trike, and watched him crash into a guardrail at over 50 mph...not pretty.