wind/mag trainer features

Brad Hubbard

Guest
I'm considering buying a mag or wind trainer. What features should I be
looking for? What are peoples opinions of which is better?

Wind, Mag, or oil turbine?

Rim drive or tyre drive?

Brad Hubbard said:
I'm considering buying a mag or wind trainer. What features should I be
looking for? What are peoples opinions of which is better?

Wind, Mag, or oil turbine?

Rim drive or tyre drive?

Rim drive saves your tyres and doubles up as a wheel truing stand. I have a Minoura rim trainer that works well enough for me... It's a mag trainer.

Purists will probably advise using rollers, but they take up much more space for storage - important if you're space-constrained.

Ritch

"Brad Hubbard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm considering buying a mag or wind trainer. What features should I be
> looking for? What are peoples opinions of which is better?
>
> Wind, Mag, or oil turbine?
>
> Rim drive or tyre drive?

Depends on the type of training.. Geoff?

Meanwhile:
http://www.google.com/groups?q=mag+trainer
http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=wind+trainer
http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=mag+trainer+group:aus.bicycle

hippy

"Brad Hubbard" <[email protected]> wrote
> hippy wrote:
>
> > Depends on the type of training.. Geoff?

> Long course triathlon. Road bike, aero position.

If it's generally steady-state training I think
most trainers will be ok. I believe when you
are wanting to do high power drills that mag
trainers are no good - too much slippage.

hippy

Hey Hippy,

Spotted one of your old posts.

Like you, I seem to be gravitating towards a rim mag-trainer but I like the
idea of the rollers.

What did you end up going with.

BTW, what sort of computer geek are you as I happen to be one myself?

:p

Cheers,
Brad

Marx SS wrote:

> Anyone noticed the picture on a certain brand of indoor trainer?
> wow!

??????

"Brad Hubbard" <[email protected]> wrote
> Spotted one of your old posts.

Such a colorful and pointless usenet career... ;-)

> Like you, I seem to be gravitating towards a rim mag-trainer but I like

the
> idea of the rollers.
>
> What did you end up going with.

Minoura rim trainer. If you pedal smoothly it's
all good, otherwise it doesn't feel 'right'. Can do
sprints on it, but if your rim is even slightly wet,
the rubbers wont grip and resistance disappears.
It's good for what I use it for - I don't really stress
it that much.

> BTW, what sort of computer geek are you as I happen to be one myself?

The company I work for is small and .NET focused
so we all do bits and pieces of development and
testing, support and marketing..

hippy

Marx SS wrote:

> G-string, on a bike, on a trainer. not much else.

Is it on the web anywhere?

;-)

Brad Hubbard said:
I'm considering buying a mag or wind trainer. What features should I be
looking for? What are peoples opinions of which is better?

Wind, Mag, or oil turbine?

Rim drive or tyre drive?
Don't know if it just mine, but my wind trainer is really noisy (have to have the TV on just about max to hear it) - if that is a factor for you

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 02:04:55 GMT, Brad Hubbard <[email protected]>
wrote:

>I'm considering buying a mag or wind trainer. What features should I be
>looking for? What are peoples opinions of which is better?
>
>Wind, Mag, or oil turbine?
>
>Rim drive or tyre drive?

No direct answers to the questions, just a couple of comments.

The trainers where you take off the front wheel, mount the forks in
the trainer and then clamp down the bottom bracket can bust your bike.
The rear end works from side to side with every pedal stroke. You can
shorten the life of the frame.

Do something about the sweat that pools under the top tube. A fan can
help. So can a towel spread over the top tube and handlebars.

Oh yeah. One more thing. I have one of those trainers that mounts on
the rear axle. Two cups fit over the QR lever and nut things. But the
frame on my 'good' bike has a flange on the outside of the frame
around the axle area (designed for quick wheel changes, I think) that
stops the cups on the trainer from going all the way in.

--
Regards.
Richard.

wrote:

>I'm considering buying a mag or wind trainer. What features should I be
>looking for? What are peoples opinions of which is better?
>
>Wind, Mag, or oil turbine?
>
>Rim drive or tyre drive?

No direct answers to the questions, just a couple of comments.

The trainers where you take off the front wheel, mount the forks in
the trainer and then clamp down the bottom bracket can bust your bike.
The rear end works from side to side with every pedal stroke. You can
shorten the life of the frame.

Do something about the sweat that pools under the top tube. A fan can
help. So can a towel spread over the top tube and handlebars.

Oh yeah. One more thing. I have one of those trainers that mounts on
the rear axle. Two cups fit over the QR lever and nut things. But the
frame on my 'good' bike has a flange on the outside of the frame
around the axle area (designed for quick wheel changes, I think) that
stops the cups on the trainer from going all the way in.

--
Regards.
Richard.
G'day,

I have a Minoura 'Mag 500'. I think they are having a promotion on these things at the moment, so you might be able to get a deal. They come with the front wheel 'riser', sweat net & cabled handlebar control....a good unit all in all. I tend to only use it for aerobic type sessions if the weather is too ordinary to get out on the road,

cheers,

Hitchy

"Hitchy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I have a Minoura 'Mag 500'. I think they are having a promotion on
> these things at the moment, so you might be able to get a deal. They
> come with the front wheel 'riser', sweat net & cabled handlebar
> control....a good unit all in all.

Where?

AJS

"tortoise" <[email protected]
> Brad Hubbard Wrote:
> > I'm considering buying a mag or wind trainer. What features should I be
> > looking for? What are peoples opinions of which is better?
> >
> > Wind, Mag, or oil turbine?
> >
> > Rim drive or tyre drive?

> Don't know if it just mine, but my wind trainer is really noisy (have
> to have the TV on just about max to hear it) - if that is a factor for
> you

Mag trainers are noisy too. I think they are all a lot
noisier than rolling down the road.

hippy

"Hitchy" <[email protected]
> I have a Minoura 'Mag 500'. I think they are having a promotion on
> these things at the moment, so you might be able to get a deal. They
> come with the front wheel 'riser', sweat net & cabled handlebar
> control....a good unit all in all. I tend to only use it for aerobic
> type sessions if the weather is too ordinary to get out on the road,

I get a "front wheel riser" delivered to my
door every year. Thanks yellow pages! :)

hippy

Hitchy wrote:

> I have a Minoura 'Mag 500'. I think they are having a promotion on
> these things at the moment, so you might be able to get a deal. They
> come with the front wheel 'riser', sweat net & cabled handlebar
> control....a good unit all in all. I tend to only use it for aerobic
> type sessions if the weather is too ordinary to get out on the road,

Anyone online selling these units?

I'm in Hervey Bay, Qld. so the amount of choice available locally is a bit
limited.

Cheers,
Brad

hippy wrote:

> Mag trainers are noisy too. I think they are all a lot
> noisier than rolling down the road.

Liquid trainers are supposed to be the quietest but there don't seem to be
as many around.

Anyone know the best place to buy a trainer online (besides Ebay)? Who has
the best range?

Cheers,
Brad

> "Brad Hubbard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I'm considering buying a mag or wind trainer. What features should I be
>> looking for? What are peoples opinions of which is better?
>>
>> Wind, Mag, or oil turbine?
>>
>> Rim drive or tyre drive?

> Depends on the type of training.. Geoff?
>
> Meanwhile:
> http://www.google.com/groups?q=mag+trainer
> http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=wind+trainer
> http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&c2coff=1&q=mag+trainer+group:aus.bicycle
>
> hippy

Thanks Hip for thinking of me. :)

This subject of "Rim Vs Tyre" stationary trainers was covered in depth a few
months ago so a search of the aus.bicycle group on google as hippy has
suggested should get you some answers. As for the "Wind Vs Mag Vs Fluid"
argument that quickly becomes a two horse race between Fluid and Mag. Each
of these have advantages over the other. My personal favourite is the TACX
Cycle Force Swing Mag Trainer. It is well suited to the different types of
training that I do (ie High Power - Low Cadence and Low to High Power - High
cadence etc), however another type of trainer may be better suited to your
needs and budget. As for Fluid trainers I have not tried any, but from what
I have heard they have a different, less linear, resistance curve compared
to Mag units.

Geoff