wind/mag trainer features

> "Brad Hubbard" <[email protected]> wrote
>> hippy wrote:
>>
>> > Depends on the type of training.. Geoff?

>> Long course triathlon. Road bike, aero position.

> If it's generally steady-state training I think
> most trainers will be ok. I believe when you
> are wanting to do high power drills that mag
> trainers are no good - too much slippage.
>
> hippy

Depends on the Mag trainer. As long as the interface between the roller on
the resistance unit and the tyre is 100% then most trainers that are capable
of 500W+ at low cadence are good for the high power drills. You won't find
a Rim type trainer capable of doing this.

A heavy flywheel is also helpful feature to consider because once you get
things moving it prevents the rapid deceleration of the roller especially so
when you have the resistance wound up. This translates to a much smoother
pedalling motion for the rider.

Geoff

"Richard Sherratt" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 02:04:55 GMT, Brad Hubbard <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>I'm considering buying a mag or wind trainer. What features should I be
>>looking for? What are peoples opinions of which is better?
>>
>>Wind, Mag, or oil turbine?
>>
>>Rim drive or tyre drive?

> No direct answers to the questions, just a couple of comments.
>
> The trainers where you take off the front wheel, mount the forks in
> the trainer and then clamp down the bottom bracket can bust your bike.
> The rear end works from side to side with every pedal stroke. You can
> shorten the life of the frame.
>
> Do something about the sweat that pools under the top tube. A fan can
> help. So can a towel spread over the top tube and handlebars.
>
> Oh yeah. One more thing. I have one of those trainers that mounts on
> the rear axle. Two cups fit over the QR lever and nut things. But the
> frame on my 'good' bike has a flange on the outside of the frame
> around the axle area (designed for quick wheel changes, I think) that
> stops the cups on the trainer from going all the way in.
>
> --
> Regards.
> Richard.

Now that Richard has mentioned frame damage etc...

In addition to the TACX Swing Trainer I also have one of these
www.rickleonard.com.au (not so portable) that I use for training on at home
and sometimes take to track races to warm up on. It uses the same TACX
resistance unit as the Swing trainer Although expensive to put together
(mine is Campag Veloce equipped with an old Shimano 105 derailer I had
laying around) it overcomes all of the problems associated with the
attaching of your road bike to other types of trainers. It's really good
for sprint training intervals.

Geoff