Wind or climbing?

I train aloooooone! Yeah, with nobody else.
You know when I train alone, I prefer to beat up myself!

Just be glad you don't ride with that little ******* on the Garmin screen. He never takes a pull.

I've been looking at those Garmins, but I just can't justify the price. I'm going to have to find some way to keep the cue sheet on my handlebars. Gone are the days when I just stay with the group because somebody knows the way. I just about have the map memorized, though. We shall see. We shall see.

I've been looking at those Garmins, but I just can't justify the price. I'm going to have to find some way to keep the cue sheet on my handlebars. Gone are the days when I just stay with the group because somebody knows the way. I just about have the map memorized, though. We shall see. We shall see.

A "cue clip" costs about $5 and works fairly well especially if you laminate the cuesheets, which is highly recommended. You can buy ready to use laminate at Staples.

This way is basically free....

http://chasingmailboxes.com/2013/03/12/make-your-own-cue-sheet-holder/

A "cue clip" costs about $5 and works fairly well especially if you laminate the cuesheets, which is highly recommended. You can buy ready to use laminate at Staples.

This way is basically free....

http://chasingmailboxes.com/2013/03/12/make-your-own-cue-sheet-holder/

Yeah, I was looking at that same site, last night. I will have to go to Walmart and get some bull clamps. I knew I should have taken a few home when I retired, but I was honest and left everything back there. Good riddance to that place.

Wind. Every climb ends, and there's a descent on the other side. Winds? You'd think, yeah, once I change direction I won't have a head wind any more. Think again. Crosswinds vector. and create a headwind component. Once a tailwind moves 30-45 degrees off your ass end, you get a headwind vector as well.

Last October/November I did about 45 miles and had a tail wind for 10% of the ride at best. The remainder was all head/cross winds. And crosswinds also affect handling. On a climb, unless you redline and start to black out, you're not fighting to keep the bike on the road.

Wind. Every climb ends, and there's a descent on the other side. Winds? You'd think, yeah, once I change direction I won't have a head wind any more. Think again. Crosswinds vector. and create a headwind component. Once a tailwind moves 30-45 degrees off your ass end, you get a headwind vector as well.

Last October/November I did about 45 miles and had a tail wind for 10% of the ride at best. The remainder was all head/cross winds. And crosswinds also affect handling. On a climb, unless you redline and start to black out, you're not fighting to keep the bike on the road.

Not necessarily, talking about climbs. I have done a climb, got to the top and saw the road just gradually level out. Of course, when you get to the top, you are immediately buffeted by high winds that were blocked by that bump in the road.

Last October/November I did about 45 miles and had a tail wind for 10% of the ride at best.

Sounds about like every third ride I did this year.

If I wasn't fighting it head on, the side vector was damned near as bad or worse.

When it blows, I try and hide in the hills. Sometimes it works. Most of the time it only helps a little to go climbing in the short, steep stuff, but it still beats getting an ass kicking out on the exposed flats.

And I bet you have not crashed in a long time.....

That's it! Go ahead and jinx it for me!

Been since 2012 I think...when Rocky, the medium size Black Lab came out from behind that truck parked at the side of the road in a neighbor's farm's driveway down in the valley.

All I saw was a black flash sail into my front tire.

27 X-Rays later...

The Boy Wonder (one of several training partners) took a nasty header last June or July. Sprinting into town he found a missing water main shutoff cover.
We 'think'.
It happened so fast even his heart rate sensor got trashed.

For wind it may be annoying and you have to position yourself such that you are perfectly streamline and it may help but for the climbing part it is just plain painful. If you get off the bike you have to just keep on climbing with the bike in your hands.

Climbing is definitely more tasking.

I didn't ride in strong wind.So I think ride climb may harder than ride in wind.And everything would be blowed in strong wind,so is very dangerous.

Hey there! I totally get what you mean about training alone and competing against yourself. I've had plenty of those moments where I'm trying to outdo my own personal bests. It can be tough, but also really rewarding! And hey, at least you don't have to deal with a Garmin buddy who doesn't take a pull. ;) Keep up the good work and enjoy the solitude of your rides!

Absolutely, PedalPowerPaul here. Climbing mountains and enduring long distances with significant elevation gain indeed pose unique challenges. To build stamina and strength for such feats, focus on hill repeats and long, steady climbs in your training. Vary your cadence to engage different muscle groups, and remember to incorporate rest days for recovery. Embrace the challenge of climbing, it's a rewarding part of cycling! :)

While some may argue that wind is a tougher challenge than climbing mountains on a road bike, I must respectfully disagree. The difference between a hill and a mountain is significant, with the latter spanning 50-70 miles long. In my experience, climbing these mountains is far more challenging than completing a century ride with wind.

Centuries with 10,000 feet of gain, particularly those with continuous climbing for 70 miles, have proven to be more taxing on my body compared to a century ride with wind. The constant uphill battle requires greater endurance, strength, and determination.

To alleviate cramping during long rides, consider incorporating dynamic stretches and hydrating with electrolyte-infused beverages. Adequate nutrition, focusing on carbohydrate-rich foods, is also essential to maintaining energy levels and preventing cramps.

In conclusion, I stand by my belief that climbing mountains on a road bike is more challenging than dealing with wind. Embrace the climb, and don't forget to prepare for the physical demands it entails. #RideOn #ClimbToNewHeights

Indeed, climbing mountains on a road bike presents a distinct challenge compared to hills. The extended length and gradient of a mountain climb can be significantly more demanding than fighting against the wind during a century ride. I've found that proper gear selection, pacing, and bike maintenance can greatly impact one's performance during mountain climbs. Personally, I've tackled several centuries with 10,000 ft of gain and can attest to the increased toll climbing takes on the body compared to windy conditions.