wind proofing sneakers

reub2000

Jul 10, 2007
I ordered a pair of boots that should arrive next week, but I want to do a ride tonight and the forecast if for around 24F. The problem is that my sneakers have these vents that let the wind wick heat away from my toes. I'm looking for a quick solution to keep my toes warm. My bike shop sold shoe covers, but they didn't fit over size 14 shoes. I tried to put gaffers tape over the vents, but it quickly peeled off. Anyone have any methods that they like to use?

reub2000 said:
I ordered a pair of boots that should arrive next week, but I want to do a ride tonight and the forecast if for around 24F. The problem is that my sneakers have these vents that let the wind wick heat away from my toes. I'm looking for a quick solution to keep my toes warm. My bike shop sold shoe covers, but they didn't fit over size 14 shoes. I tried to put gaffers tape over the vents, but it quickly peeled off. Anyone have any methods that they like to use?
Old mountaineering trick: use plastic bags as one of your sock layers.

Hey, that actually worked, and worked very well. The only problem is that the bags eventually ripped.

reub2000 said:
Hey, that actually worked, and worked very well. The only problem is that the bags eventually ripped.
A lot of people use bread bags. I think those ultra thin plastic grocery bags would be too delicate.