Wind trainers and tyres

Alias

Jun 20, 2006
Has anybody got any suggestions for tyres on my wind trainer?

It's an Italian made Gist magnetic trainer, with a pretty picture of woman wearing a thong style leotard on the front of the bike. I wouldn't like to see her after anything more than two minutes on the saddle. (Totally irrelevant but no less hilarious!)
Anyhow, my trainer, is making short work of my hutchison fusion comps.
Is it the composition of the tyres, or is it something i'm doing wrong?

Alias said:

It's an Italian made Gist magnetic trainer, with a pretty picture of woman wearing a thong style leotard on the front of the bike. I wouldn't like to see her after anything more than two minutes on the saddle. (Totally irrelevant but no less hilarious!)

Known problem. I use a dedicated wheel for when the bike is on the trainer on which is mounted a cheap heavy, thick tread tire--the wire bead touring type. You can buy 2-3 cheap Kenda or IRC tires for the cost of one Conti hometrainer tire--and you can take the same tire on the road if you want, unlike the conti hometrainer, which won't last long on the road.

Alias said:

I had the same problem. I was heating the tire up so much that the rubber would melt and blister off the tire casing. I had two resistance units hooked up to my trainer so the heat build up was twice normal. I got one of the expensive conti tires but haven't used it enough to see if it was worth the money.

Another problem that I was having was alot of flats. Found the cause to be older tires that had small cracks in the casing. These little cracks nipped at the inner tube over and over until it wore a hole into it. You look like a real mook going into a shop and telling them you keep flatting on your trainer.

John M said:
Known problem. I use a dedicated wheel for when the bike is on the trainer on which is mounted a cheap heavy, thick tread tire--the wire bead touring type. You can buy 2-3 cheap Kenda or IRC tires for the cost of one Conti hometrainer tire--and you can take the same tire on the road if you want, unlike the conti hometrainer, which won't last long on the road.

Use a dedicated wheel, with an old non-roadworthy tire that you would have thrown away otherwise.

Bob