Windows 98 Headache

MountainPro said:
came in from work,

****** off, had a few beers and feeling much better now thanks..

here is a link to The Carrick,

http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh_gfx_en/ART14967.html

i have some great private video footage that would shock you of the boats condition..
Those boats do need to be restored..... Historical boats like that need the internation historical community to step in and help. Those boats belong to the world for their value and significance.
Somehow , I feel a little attached to any boat with the name Cutty Sark. My familys shortcomings had a lot to do with a scotch named after that boat...... I know..... I know ...It is not to be percieved as a fine scotch, but then my family was not percieved as a fine family either. But local bartenders knew that when our monthly tab was paid that they could take their wives out to a repectable place. I learned early in life that you can not have the respect of both the local police and the local bartenders. So I choose the bartenders as friends.
These boats ..... What is the current thought as far as restoration is at this time period?? Any of the money being raised ???

i cant seem to find any updated information on the plight of the ship

this is all i could get and its old: http://www.classic-boats.co.uk/carrick/

http://www.worldshiptrust.org/save.html

it is in a sorry old state, but as far as i know they cannot demolish it as it is classed as an "A" listed building. Strange how a ship could be classed as such, but it is.

the local council cannot afford to shell out £5m when it could be better spent on schools and hospitals and policeing.

we are in dire needs of a wealthy benefactor...

...found another link

wolfix said:
Those boats do need to be restored..... Historical boats like that need the internation historical community to step in and help. Those boats belong to the world for their value and significance.
Somehow , I feel a little attached to any boat with the name Cutty Sark. My familys shortcomings had a lot to do with a scotch named after that boat...... I know..... I know ...It is not to be percieved as a fine scotch, but then my family was not percieved as a fine family either. But local bartenders knew that when our monthly tab was paid that they could take their wives out to a repectable place. I learned early in life that you can not have the respect of both the local police and the local bartenders. So I choose the bartenders as friends.
These boats ..... What is the current thought as far as restoration is at this time period?? Any of the money being raised ???

I purchased an ammeter last week and plan to wire it in and replace the old one with cracked glass.
But I've had so much trouble with my front derailleur this week and computer hitches that I haven't done either any cycling or boat work.
Guess how I finally fixed my rubbing derailleur? Well, I took a good hold of it in temper and bent it backwards away from the chain.
The funny thing is that fixed it. After using the screws, changing the angle, heightening and lowering, oiling and angling, all that was needed was one hell of a bend and brute force. It doesn't rub on the chain now (finally) and the shift from middle to big crank works like clockwork.
As for the boat, I'm studying amps, watts and ohms all set for wiring up.

stevebaby said:
Yes.
You also display all the classic symptoms of "boat fever",a chronic condition which even bankruptcy will not cure.Fortunately,in the terminal stages the patient will experience a certain amount of elation will be felt.This appears to be related to climate and mechanical condition of the boat.It passes when the patient's bank balance is examined or the boat needs painting.

PS. Avoid varnishing whenever possible.Varnishing is for owners with too much money and/or a paid hand,or people with too much spare time which could be more profitably spent drinking beer.And you
will be driven to drink a lot of beer! :D

Carrera said:
I purchased an ammeter last week and plan to wire it in and replace the old one with cracked glass.
But I've had so much trouble with my front derailleur this week and computer hitches that I haven't done either any cycling or boat work.
Guess how I finally fixed my rubbing derailleur? Well, I took a good hold of it in temper and bent it backwards away from the chain.
The funny thing is that fixed it. After using the screws, changing the angle, heightening and lowering, oiling and angling, all that was needed was one hell of a bend and brute force. It doesn't rub on the chain now (finally) and the shift from middle to big crank works like clockwork.
As for the boat, I'm studying amps, watts and ohms all set for wiring up.
Sometimes the easiest solutions are the best.When all else has failed,brute force may not work but you will feel better!
There are a couple of books which may help:
The 12volt Doctor's practical Handbook
Boatowners Mechanical & Electrical Manual
They are both a bit expensive,maybe you can get them through a public library or used from Amazon.com.
When you replace the batteries,"deep cycle" or heavy duty truck batteries have worked best for me.Pro?
And don't ever use silicon for anything except bedding windows,and then with caution.Sikaflex costs more but it will stick anything to anything.Forever,so if something may have to come out in the future...caution!

yes, high capacity batteries are preferable and are indicated by the Ah rating (amperes per hour)

this can be increased on smaller capacity batteries by putting several in parallel

Carrera, have a look in the internet for Ohm's Law; V = IR, P= IV, R = V/I, I = V/R

I = Current (amps)
V = Potential (volts)
R = Resistance (ohms)
P = Power (watts)

this is page one, day one of electrical engineering. Learn that formula well, it wil stand you in good stead.

stevebaby said:
When you replace the batteries,"deep cycle" or heavy duty truck batteries have worked best for me.Pro?