Windsor Bicycles

Originally posted by mydaddy0
I am considering a Windsor Kennet. How has yours been? Where did you get it? Thanks for any info.

I have only put about 250 miles on mine but I have had zero problems. I bought it at Spectrum Cycle in Gilbert Arizona. The only thing I have added are some aero bars.

I have enjoyed my Windsor Trent for the past two months. I was thinking about getting a Kennet but I like the Trent's color scheme better (black on the Trent vs. silver/purple on the Kennet).

The difference between the Trent and the Kennet are the brakes, bottom bracket, and crank. They both use the same frame and other Ultegra components. In the long run it will be more expensive to upgrade, but it is easier to upgrade the comps than to have the bike completely repainted.

I love this bike, it is light, responsive, and smooth. I ride a couple of times a week with a group (we avg about 21mph over 36 miles). I've probably put 200-250 miles on it and have loved it every minute.

I got mine at "bikesdirect.com" for $895 about a week before they raised the price to $995 (which is what I think it still is now). You can't beat free shipping, no sales tax, and an awesome deal. After I assembled the bike myself, I just had a friend of mine who races tune in the rear derailleur and I was set to go.

I can't say enough about how much I love this bike.

Originally posted by Rick Reas
I sold my C'dale and bought a Windsor Kennet. It arrived exceptionally well packed, was assembled with no problems and I've now had several rides on it. This is one of the best bikes I've ever ridden; and far and away the best value (under $1100 for a full Ultegra, X-fusion frame w/carbon fork and stays, Ritchey wheels, stem etc.) I tested a Fuji Marseilles (an X-fusion w/mix of Ultegra and other components) and I swear these are the same frames. The Fuji was "sale priced" at $1900.

While Windsor America may bear little connection to the original English company, Windsor does have a rich tradition. I did extensive research before buying and found that Windsors were quite popular in the 60's-80's (and even earlier.) And it appears that some were made at Mexican factories, as well as in England, and Taiwan. There is a long relationship between Windsor and Cinelli and Colnago. One reference indicated that many Cinellis are Windsors with Cinelli decals.

Just like Masi, Raleigh, Motobecan, Gitane and other bikes that reached their zenith in the 70's-80's, Windsors are making a comeback and I am thrilled with the Kennet. Even the bike shop that did the final assembly for me commented that this is one awesome bike.

I've read what many of you have posted and still am not convinced Windsor is for real. I just purchased a Winston Dover on ebay and had it shipped to Canada.

Does anyone know anything about the winston dover model......is it an entry level bike

Originally posted by mydaddy0
I am considering a Windsor Kennet. How has yours been? Where did you get it? Thanks for any info.

I continue to be very pleased with my Kennet. I've got about 450 miles on mine now and it continues to perform flawlessly. The full Ultegra components were never really a question. I expected those to perform well. But the quality of the frame etc. was unknown til I actually started riding. And I have truly been impressed with every aspect of the bike. The X-Fusion frame coupled with a very high quality Kinesis Carbon Fork and the curved carbon seat stays deliver a responsive, smooth, comfortable ride. It is fast, responsive yet stable, floats over smooth roads, soaks up road chatter and handles hills beautifully (light enough for fast climbs; stable enough for exhilirating descents.) I am logging significantly faster times on the Kennet than I did on my Cannondale and I don't feel beat up after a long ride. All the Ritchey stuff (bars, wheels, stem, seatpost) complements the Ultegra components very nicely. I am especially impressed with the Ergo handlebars which provide a very comfortable array of hand positions.

For the kind of riding I do - lots of moderate to fast paced recreational rides and occassional racing - this bike suits me perfectly. I still marvel at what a fantastic value it is.

I bought the bike from BikesDirect.com. I discovered BikesDirect while on vacation in Arizona. They had a retail store across the street from my hotel. Although they didn't have any Windsors at that particular store at the time, I tested a few other bikes, talked about what I was looking for in a new bike with guys at the shop and they suggested I check out their website for info on Windsors. I did so and became interested in the Kennet. With the unbeatable price (at that time it was $1095), free shipping, no sales tax, Windsor's warranty and the store's 30 day return policy, I figured I had nothing to lose. I've been riding with a big smile on my face ever since.

The Windsor Kennet is a great bike.

Originally posted by 4rabbit
I've read what many of you have posted and still am not convinced Windsor is for real. I just purchased a Winston Dover on ebay and had it shipped to Canada.

Does anyone know anything about the winston dover model......is it an entry level bike

I will admit to some initial scepticism, when I first began researching Windsors. But after buying a Windsor Kennet and riding it for the better part of 2 months now, I can assure you that Windsor is for real. I could not be more pleased with my Kennet. I don't have direct experience with the Dover (it looks sharp) but if my and other's experience with the Kennet and other testimonials about the Bristol, Trent and Knight are any indication, I think it's a good bet that the Dover will be a quality bike and a great value.

It does appear to be an "entry level" road bike. But if the specs outlined on the Windsor website are correct it's got some nice features; double butted 7005 Alu frame, 11-28 cogset, Alex wheels, Michelin tires and a listed weight under 20lbs.

I'd be interested in your impressions after you've had a few rides on it.

I hope you enjoy it and join the growing legion of Windsor fans.

Originally posted by jstewart133
------------------------------
--------------------
Watch out||| not US made bicycle. No genuine warranty
I am afraid this site : www.windsorbicycles.com is not a genuine company site. This site was set up by some individuals to sell their bikes for higher price. The bike is not US made, like they claim as WINDSOR AMERICA . The site's IP is: 198.173.232.162
Do a reverse IP lookup and you will find lot of information.

Do a google search on "Windsor Bicycles".

This is what I found:

I have a Columbus SL Windsor Profesional(I know they spelled it wrong) that I believe is from 1972, that's what the Nuovo Record der. is stamped. It is Molteni orange and has chromed spearhead lugs that have been drilled out. Does anyone know the history of Windsor bicycles, I heard that they were made in Mexico by some Italian? I think it's also wierd that it's Molteni orange, the Merckx color. I heard that on Merckx rode a Colnago with Windsor decals on his hour record in Mexico City in 1972. Can anyone verify any of this?

not US made

In the 1970's Windsor (of Mexico) did make some decent frames with Columbus tubing and decent lugwork, they were basically Cinelli copies. Some of these frames are collectable, but the rest of their bikes were pretty mainstream/junky lowend stuff. They were Mexico's 'Huffy' throught the 70's probably. I think they went out of biz back in the late 80's, and the Windsors now might be a new English company, or maybe they started making bikes down south again, who knows.

As for Eddy Merckx riding a Windor in '72?? No, ofcourse he wasn't. It was indeed a Colnago. When Eddy arrived in Mexico City they (his Mexican hosts) placed the Windsor stickers on his frame before his record attempts on the track. Eddy didn't think much of this at the time, he thought it was the least he could do for his hosts as I guess they really pulled out all the stops to allow him to attempt the record there. Anyway, back in Italy Ernesto Colnago was furious to say the least. The story goes that he severed his relationship with Eddy, and so Eddy turned to Ugo de Rosa to build his bikes from then on. De Rosa has a special 'Molteni' model today to commemorate the fact that Ugo built the orange 'Eddy Merckx' Molteni bikes from the mid '70's on. I feel sorry for Ernesto. Sure, he is a very successful builder today, but still he never was able to show any photos of 'his' bike that Eddy used in that legendary hour record, because all the photos show the Windsor decals. Windsor ofcourse capitalized on the publicity and probably made 1000's of orange 'look like Eddy' bikes. They aren't anywhere near as nice as a real Colnago or Cinelli ofcourse, but if I ever came across one of them for cheap I'd buy it and build it up as a fixed gear for kicks.

I ordered an Windsor Kennet a few days ago and expect to get it by the end of the upcoming week. I will keep you all posted on my experiences, from bikesdirect.com and the bike itself.

Originally posted by rhellmer
I ordered an Windsor Kennet a few days ago and expect to get it by the end of the upcoming week. I will keep you all posted on my experiences, from bikesdirect.com and the bike itself.
How about the Windsor Falkirk, any info. on that?

Originally posted by ccrider
In the 1970's Windsor (of Mexico) did make some decent frames with Columbus tubing and decent lugwork, they were basically Cinelli copies. Some of these frames are collectable, but the rest of their bikes were pretty mainstream/junky lowend stuff. They were Mexico's 'Huffy' throught the 70's probably. I think they went out of biz back in the late 80's, and the Windsors now might be a new English company, or maybe they started making bikes down south again, who knows.

As for Eddy Merckx riding a Windor in '72?? No, ofcourse he wasn't. It was indeed a Colnago. When Eddy arrived in Mexico City they (his Mexican hosts) placed the Windsor stickers on his frame before his record attempts on the track. Eddy didn't think much of this at the time, he thought it was the least he could do for his hosts as I guess they really pulled out all the stops to allow him to attempt the record there. Anyway, back in Italy Ernesto Colnago was furious to say the least. The story goes that he severed his relationship with Eddy, and so Eddy turned to Ugo de Rosa to build his bikes from then on. De Rosa has a special 'Molteni' model today to commemorate the fact that Ugo built the orange 'Eddy Merckx' Molteni bikes from the mid '70's on. I feel sorry for Ernesto. Sure, he is a very successful builder today, but still he never was able to show any photos of 'his' bike that Eddy used in that legendary hour record, because all the photos show the Windsor decals. Windsor ofcourse capitalized on the publicity and probably made 1000's of orange 'look like Eddy' bikes. They aren't anywhere near as nice as a real Colnago or Cinelli ofcourse, but if I ever came across one of them for cheap I'd buy it and build it up as a fixed gear for kicks.

Very interesting info on the connection or lack thereof between Windsor and Cinelli and Colnago. Among the references I found when looking into Windsors were the book Bike Cult by David Perry (4 Walls 8 Windows publishing co, 1995) and the Vintage Bikes website. These sources imply a cooperative re-branding/co-marketing relationship between Windsor and Cinelli but a less cordial relationship with Colnago. Where did you find the more detailed info about the unappreciated decaling of the Colnago used in Mexico and the resulting rift between Colnago and Merckx? I'd like to find more info on that.

Tx,

Rick

Well, I got my bike a few days ago and it rides GREAT. I bought it through bikesdirect.com and even so the delivery was a little delayed, Anne, their sales representative was VERY responsive at all times and answered all my questions when I got a little nervous. Great bike - great experience!

Well, I got my bike a few days ago and it rides GREAT. I bought it through bikesdirect.com and even so the delivery was a little delayed, Anne, their sales representative was VERY responsive at all times and answered all my questions when I got a little nervous. Great bike - great experience!

I am very sorry, but the previous posting/picture showed my OLD Motobecane bike - here is the Windsor Kennet - a real beauty!!

rhellmer, thanks for sharing info and a pic of your Windsor Kennet. I am also considering purchasing one and am wondering:

1. What assembly was required when the bike arrived? I can do any type of bicycle mechanical work, but I was just curious about how it is shipped and what you needed to assemble.

2. The price at bikesdirect.com is currently $1,295. Did you pay that or did you get it cheaper? I am wondering if bikesdirect prices go up and down.

3. Bikesdirect.com looks like a great place to purchase a bike. The only thing that really bothers me about the place is that for virtually every bike they have blurbs like this:

NOTE - Special Pricing THIS MONTH ONLY for the Complete Bicycle, Very Limited Quantities available.

and this:

Special Pricing Good THIS MONTH ONLY - After that, the price goes up by $200.

Of course, if this logic actually holds true then they will soon end up with zero bikes to sell at $200 more than the current selling price :confused:

Since we know that will never happen, I wonder what their real marketing strategy is - replenish existing models? add new 2005 models? Actually keep increasing prices?

Their car sales-like information aside, however, it is nice to see positive posts about bikesdirect.com and the Windsor line of bikes.

Good luck with your bike

:) Paul

1. What assembly was required when the bike arrived? I can do any type of bicycle mechanical work, but I was just curious about how it is shipped and what you needed to assemble.

-- I assmbled the bike, but I had it tuned in a shop--

2. The price at bikesdirect.com is currently $1,295. Did you pay that or did you get it cheaper? I am wondering if bikesdirect prices go up and down.

--You can get a 54cm on EBAY from Bikesdirect for $1095 w/o shipping--

I hope this helps.

:) Roland

I ordered my windsor trent this morning from bikesdirect and i can't wait until it arrives!! Thanks for all of your guy's input on the company. It helped me out a lot in making my purchase.

Rhellmer - I was wondering how long did it take for bikesdirect to ship you your kennet? Thanks

About five working days. But you will get a tracking number if you ask them so you are able to see the process/progress....

Roland

runrideroad said:
I ordered my windsor trent this morning from bikesdirect and i can't wait until it arrives!! Thanks for all of your guy's input on the company. It helped me out a lot in making my purchase.

Rhellmer - I was wondering how long did it take for bikesdirect to ship you your kennet? Thanks
runrideroad,

Have you rec'd your bike yet? I'm really interested in your impressions of the bike. My Kennet continues to perform wonderfully.

I noted the reference to Baldwin Wallace in your address. Are you a student or faculty member there? I've got a son at Ohio Wesleyan. So if you see a Kennet zipping by it means he's stolen my bike again.

I hope you enjoy lots of smooth miles on your Trent.

Rick Reas said:
Dear pdxtex, (and anyone else with any info)

Since buying my Windsor Kennet, I've become a real fan of Windsors and I'm looking for any additional info I can get. You mentioned in the above email that you saw a review of a Windsor Knight in a UK cycling mag. Do you recall what magazine and what month/year the article appeared. I'd like to get a copy of it.

Anyone other sources of info on Windsors (past and present) would be most appreciated.

Thx,

reas
THE WINNDSORS OF THE MID 70'S WERE MADE IN MEXACO. THEY WERE IMPORTED BY SID STARR OF ALPHA CYCLE ON LONG ISLAND. THIS COMPANY ALSO LATTER IMPORTED THE LOTUS. THERE WAREHOUSE WAS LOCATED IN THE SAME BUILDING WHERE I OWNED A BIKE SHOP IN LAKE RONKONKOMA LONG ISLAND