Windsor Bikes

G

Gary Cole

Does anyone know anything,good or bad, about Windsor Bikes?
I'm planing on buying one but cant get any independent info.
Thanks Gary

I have enjoyed my Windsor Trent for the past two months. I was thinking about getting a Kennet but I like the Trent's color scheme better (black on the Trent vs. silver/purple on the Kennet).

The difference between the Trent and the Kennet are the brakes, bottom bracket, and crank. They both use the same frame and other Ultegra components. In the long run it will be more expensive to upgrade, but it is easier to upgrade the comps than to have the bike completely repainted.

I love this bike, it is light, responsive, and smooth. I ride a couple of times a week with a group (we avg about 21mph over 36 miles). I've probably put 200-250 miles on it and have loved it every minute.

I got mine at "bikesdirect.com" for $895 about a week before they raised the price to $995 (which is what I think it still is now). You can't beat free shipping, no sales tax, and an awesome deal. After I assembled the bike myself, I just had a friend of mine who races tune in the rear derailleur and I was set to go.

I can't say enough about how much I love this bike.

Originally posted by rockthrowjoe
I have enjoyed my Windsor Trent for the past two months. I was thinking about getting a Kennet but I like the Trent's color scheme better (black on the Trent vs. silver/purple on the Kennet).

The difference between the Trent and the Kennet are the brakes, bottom bracket, and crank. They both use the same frame and other Ultegra components. In the long run it will be more expensive to upgrade, but it is easier to upgrade the comps than to have the bike completely repainted.

I love this bike, it is light, responsive, and smooth. I ride a couple of times a week with a group (we avg about 21mph over 36 miles). I've probably put 200-250 miles on it and have loved it every minute.

I got mine at "bikesdirect.com" for $895 about a week before they raised the price to $995 (which is what I think it still is now). You can't beat free shipping, no sales tax, and an awesome deal. After I assembled the bike myself, I just had a friend of mine who races tune in the rear derailleur and I was set to go.

I can't say enough about how much I love this bike.

Originally posted by 4rabbit

Hi ....

I just purchased a winston dover on ebay. I having a hard time finding information on these bikes as well as being able to speak with anyone. Are winston good bikes....... or could you find the same thing at Sam's? It has a Sora 24 shifter .... is this ok. I'm new into biking and am getting a bit discouraged I may have bought the wrong bike.

Originally posted by 4rabbit
Hi ....

I just purchased a winston dover on ebay. I having a hard time finding information on these bikes as well as being able to speak with anyone. Are winston good bikes....... or could you find the same thing at Sam's? It has a Sora 24 shifter .... is this ok. I'm new into biking and am getting a bit discouraged I may have bought the wrong bike.

Sora is a good entry-level componenet group. It brakes good and shifts good. Really it depends on what your interests are for biking. If you are just going to be riding on normal rides then I'm sure a Sora group will do fine. Racing or more competitive riding would require a better group. The Dover looks to have a good aluminum frame and chro-moly fork. As you get better you may want to improve the bike some more.

Check out the website below. It has some great pointers about purchasing a bike.

http://bicyclesportshop.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=83

Good Luck.

Originally posted by Gary Cole
Does anyone know anything,good or bad, about Windsor Bikes?
I'm planing on buying one but cant get any independent info.
Thanks Gary

Gary,

There are a couple other threads on this site that deal with Windsors. Lots of good info. I bought a Windsor Kennet and I absolutely love it. I won't repeat all the detail I posted on the other threads-I hope you've already found it, or can. But suffice to say that after an exhaustive search I couldn't find a better deal than the Kennet and more importantly, the quality of the bike is exceptional.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help.

Good luck.

Rick

You probably already bought a bike by now, but if not or for others reading this site - I bought a Windsor Knight from www.bikesdirect.com last fall. It was $695 delivered w/no tax.

It has full 105 shifters and brakes and Richey bars, wheels, stem etc. It has been great. It was easy to put together when received and took very little adjustment. Since then it has worked flawlessly. I've put about 700 miles on it so far. It weighed in at about 20 to 21 lbs so it might be a couple pounds heavier than more expensive bikes. I use it for fitness riding and for "club" type rids and have no problem keeping up with anyone on more expensive bikes. There are allot of hills in the area where I ride and allot of the other riders have more than 5 lbs of baggage on their bellies! I don't race and these aren't races I ride in so it might not be suitable there.

The only thing I changed was the seat and pedals but those are "personal" preference items.