Windsor Fen, Vent Noir..

bohh

May 27, 2007
Hi guys,

I'm thinking of buying a windsor fen. Yes, I know I shouldn't buy online, but the price seems good. I have found the '07 version http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/windsor/fens_07.htm which is $699.95... the '08 version on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2008-ALUMINU...QQcmdZViewItem
is $589.99 (including shipping.)

What are the differences between these two models? Why would the newer version be cheaper?

Do you think this bike would suit me? I'm 220lbs. I'm looking to get into riding and would like to participate in group rides (starting slow) but would like to get fast. Can this bike do that for me or will I need to upgrade to another bike to stick with the faster people when I have the ability to do so?

Also could you give me an idea on what size I would need? I went to my bike shop and tried a Giant FCR3. The salesman said I needed a large if I decided to buy the FCR. The FCR is, however, a flat bar road bike.

I was also considering a Motobecane Vent Noir - - if that is a much better bike please let me know; or even if I should stay clear of the fens for some reason.

Thanks a lot for your help,

-Mike

On the '08 they're going to give you cheaper wheels, cheaper tires, and a cheaper components in some places. The '07 has 105 in most places and ultegra in some, and a nicer headset. It's all in the details you just have to look closely (also you can just email bikesdirect or call them and ask them yourself).
You have to figure out what your standover hieght is, and general bike fitting to select the correct bike size. Also, whether or not you want to stay clear of an online bike purchase depends on how much you know about bike maintenance. If you know very little and you plan to take it to a LBS whenever you need something fixed or tuned, you probably want to buy from that LBS. Plus the LBS will be more friendly in setting you up with beginning riding knowledge, like maps, groups, and good places to ride.

Also when you talk about riding with a group and sticking "with the faster people," Any of the bikes you mentioned in the post will allow you to keep up with other cyclists if you have the ability, as long as the bike is in good shape and well tuned.
Also, if this is a beginner bike, you might look for a good used road bike on ebay or craigslist if there are many in your area. Often, people buy an expesive road bike and end up never using it. Other times the person has taken good care of a bike and has moved on to another one. Either way there are many used bicycles in good condition.

Hope this helped.