Windy

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Colin Blackburn, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. It was bloody windy in Durham last night. I set off cycling home and it was okay to start with, but
    at about the half way stage the gusts were so severe that I ended up walking the last 2 miles. Even
    that was difficult with the bike being caught by every gust. Do recumbent bikes fair any better or
    would a trike have been the only answer?

    Colin

    Tags:

  2. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > It was bloody windy in Durham last night. I set off cycling home and it was okay to start with,
    > but at about the half way stage the gusts were so severe that I ended up walking the last 2 miles.
    > Even that was difficult with the bike being caught by every gust. Do recumbent bikes fair any
    > better or would a trike have been the only answer?

    A 'bent will be better into a headwind according to just how reclined it is, simply from the
    better aero of laying lower. But those festive sideways gusts you get from sideroads are still a
    problem. Being lower you're not quite so easy to topple over, but a trike would certainly be
    better than a bike.

    It's not the only solution though. I was in town on the Brompton last night, about to head home into
    the teeth of the wind. A friend with a car offered me a lift, so I said yes, folded up the bike, and
    off we went!

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  3. Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
    >It was bloody windy in Durham last night. I set off cycling home and it was okay to start with, but
    >at about the half way stage the gusts were so severe that I ended up walking the last 2 miles.

    It was not that bad here, but it was very annoying that yesterday I travelled about 24 miles into
    the wind and about none back the other way, using the train for that journey. And I had to fight it
    again this morning
    - it seemed pretty strong. If it's died down by home time I shall be POed.

  6. Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
    >It was bloody windy in Durham last night. I set off cycling home and it was okay to start with, but
    >at about the half way stage the gusts were so severe that I ended up walking the last 2 miles.

    It was not that bad here, but it was very annoying that yesterday I travelled about 24 miles into
    the wind and about none back the other way, using the train for that journey. And I had to fight it
    again this morning
    - it seemed pretty strong. If it's died down by home time I shall be POed.

  7. Redshift

    Redshift Guest

    Colin Blackburn:

    > It was bloody windy in Durham last night. I set off cycling home and it was okay to start with,
    > but at about the half way stage the gusts were so severe that I ended up walking the last 2 miles.
    > Even that was difficult with the bike being caught by every gust. Do recumbent bikes fair any
    > better or would a trike have been the only answer?
    >
    > Colin

    It might save you from most of the sideways gusts, but even a trike isn't necesarily the answer...
    the seat can be remarkably sail-like in the wind...

    liz

    --
    http://www.redshift.uklinux.net/ Windcheetah No.176 Linux Counter No. 275325 *Remove Spamcatcher and
    x for email reply

  8. Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote: ( ... But those festive ) sideways gusts you get from
    sideroads are still a problem. ...

    Ah. I've yet to be blown off an upright, but I have been blown about five yards sideways crossing a
    sidestreet. Fortunately it was leftwards, and probably frightened the pedestrian on the pavement who
    found me heading straight at him marginally more than it disconcerted me.

  9. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > A 'bent will be better into a headwind according to just how reclined it is, simply from the
    > better aero of laying lower. But those festive sideways gusts you get from sideroads are still a
    > problem. Being lower you're not quite so easy to topple over, but a trike would certainly be
    > better than a bike.
    >
    > It's not the only solution though. I was in town on the Brompton last night, about to head home
    > into the teeth of the wind. A friend with a car offered me a lift, so I said yes, folded up the
    > bike, and off we went!

    :) And, if I had been on my Brompton last night I could have stopped at
    a bus stop and gone the last couple of miles on a bus. I could of course have tried to take my
    tourer on a bus but I don't think I'd have been let on.

    Colin

  10. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:dTe*[email protected]...
    > Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >It was bloody windy in Durham last night. I set off cycling home and it was okay to start
    > >with, but at about the half way stage the gusts were so severe that I ended up walking the
    > >last 2 miles.
    >
    > It was not that bad here, but it was very annoying that yesterday I travelled about 24 miles into
    > the wind and about none back the other way, using the train for that journey. And I had to fight
    > it again this morning
    > - it seemed pretty strong. If it's died down by home time I shall be POed.

    Is there and echo in here or am I just hearing quadruple??

  11. Simon Ward

    Simon Ward Guest

    David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote:

    [the wind]
    > If it's died down by home time I shall be POed.
    Prepare to be PO'd - Sod's Law, and all that. There'll either be no wind at all or a real stinker
    of a headwind :) It's a bit blowy[1] here at the moment, but at least it's sunny and relatively
    mild[2] with it. I'm not on the bike today, though.

    Simon

    [1] - 25-30mph gusts - I've seen worse, usually whilst trying to stop the fence in by back garden
    from taking flight across the village ;-)
    [2] - 9C, according to http://www.amp.york.ac.uk/external/weather/weather.html

    --
    Simon Ward, Accent Optical Technologies (UK) Ltd., York, YO31 8SD, UK "Perl is the ideal tool for
    the inspired slacker who'd rather sing and dance than spend longer than they need to at work ..."

  12. "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:dTe*[email protected]...
    > > Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > >It was bloody windy in Durham last night. I set off cycling home and it was okay to start with,
    > > >but at about the half way stage the gusts were so severe that I ended up walking the last 2
    > > >miles.
    > >
    > > It was not that bad here, but it was very annoying that yesterday I travelled about 24 miles
    > > into the wind and about none back the other
    way,
    > > using the train for that journey. And I had to fight it again this
    morning
    > > - it seemed pretty strong. If it's died down by home time I shall be
    POed.

    > Is there and echo in here or am I just hearing quadruple??

    Surely it's just a problem with your newsreading software :)

  13. Tony W <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>It was not that bad here, but it was very annoying that yesterday I travelled about 24 miles into
    >>the wind and about none back the other way, using the train for that journey. And I had to fight
    >>it again this morning
    >>- it seemed pretty strong. If it's died down by home time I shall be POed.
    >Is there and echo in here or am I just hearing quadruple??

    Apparently so. Chiark's inews reports things as not posted, but they have been. I'll look suitably
    sheepish now.