Winner of Race2Replace quits Discovery over Basso signing...

whiteboytrash

Mar 9, 2005
Another masterstroke by DC... the winner of Race2Replace quits after Basso drug storm..... got a feeling this one won't make the paceline.com !

The former three-time junior national sprint champion now says he has no interest in racing for the Discovery Channel pro cycling team, because it recently signed Italian rider Ivan Basso.

Instead, Smith, 25, will race for Florida-based Herbal Life/Bike America Racing Team with the hopes of being picked up by "a clean pro team" in June. He hopes to race in South and Central America and the United States. Basso was among nine riders who were forced to withdraw before the start of this year's Tour de France because of alleged ties to doctor Dr. Eufemiano Fuentes. Fuentes is the focal point of a drug probe by the UCI world cycling federation and Spanish authorities, along with dozens of cyclists in this doping-tainted season.

Basso, the Giro d'Italia champion, was hired this year by Discovery, the same team that helped carry Armstrong to his Tour success.

"This sport is the dirtiest sport in the world," Smith said. "There is no other sport that even comes close to the amount of drug use that is going on. It is happening overseas and over here in the U.S. It is happening much more than anyone wants to talk about. It's ridiculous.

"I am not the only junior national champion who quit the sport ... there is plenty of talent out there sitting on a couch or behind a desk job because of the doping problem."

Despite lack of serious training and being overweight, Smith won the 10-lap, 25-mile Race2Replace and earned "honorary" membership on Discovery's team. He won in 52 minutes and 42 seconds, averaging 28.5 mph.

Just months before the race, he dropped the 50 pounds he gained lifting weights as a personal trainer and got back into racing shape. Now at 185, he hopes to slim down to an ideal racing weight of 160-165 by February.

For winning, Smith took home a new Trek bike, Discovery race gear, aerodynamic helmet and $500 in cash. He also got to ride with Discovery at the Sept. 1 USPRO Time Trial Championships in Greenville, S.C., where Smith's home base is and where he runs his health and nutrition Web site, www.mountaintophp.com to help pay the bills.

Even before he quit the sport after the 2000 Olympic Trials, where he lost to eventual gold medalist Marty Nothstein, Smith was outspoken about drug use.

"When I was 15, it wasn't when I was going to or if I was going to dope, it was what age would I start ... that was the whole mentality," Smith said. "It was a constant assault on my mind that if you want to race in Europe you are going to have to dope. I am not saying this just because of hearsay or hearing that someone did this, I know it's going on straight from other riders' mouths."

His biggest awakening was when he went to Australia a month after his 18th birthday to train for the Olympic Trials in May.

"I left the U.S. as a kid who never drank or had ever seen a drug," Smith said. "Within a month of being over there I tried and had done almost everything. I did a lot of things I am ashamed of, but I got myself back on track again."

Smith leaves Monday for three months of training in San Diego. He said he isn't afraid of retaliation from riders or teams.

"I guarantee you I will be hated by at least half of the European field before I even get over to Europe," Smith said. "I am going to do it clean with a strong mind and heart. I could care less what they think."

In addition to "cleaning up" cycling, Smith is ready to resume his winning ways in the sport that catapulted him in the spotlight at a young age. In only his second year of racing, he won his first junior national sprint title at age 15.

"You know A.J. was something special at an early age ... the potential was unbelievable," said Carlos Laborde, one of his mentors and longtime friend.

"I told him even though he was winning he would never be a world-class sprinter, but he would be a world-class all-around rider. I told him he could be another Lance Armstrong. It is a lot of pressure, but knowing A.J., he can do it. He has his second wind."

It wasn't easy getting to this point, Smith said.

"I guess you have to hit rock bottom before you can bounce back," he said. Smith went through "a dark time" that included an impending divorce from his wife Tina, whom he married when he was 19. The two remain friends, he said.

He was nearly disowned by his parents, Andy and Kathy, who live in Port St. Lucie. He told them he was quitting school and using his financial aid at Santa Fe Community College to buy a new racing bike.

"They are on board now," Smith said. "My parents had poured their heart and soul into my racing. My dad was a police officer and mom a 911 dispatcher [in Pembroke Pines], so it's not like we had a ton of money and cycling costs a lot. They broke their backs to get me to where I was because I was born to race a bike. I know I hurt them when I gave it up."

Smith is brimming with confidence and lofty goals but realizes there are still a few more hills to climb.

"Right now it doesn't really matter what I am saying because in the overall grand scheme of things in the sport of cycling I am a nobody," Smith said. "But next year I am going to be a somebody ... and the year after that I am going to be THE somebody.

"It's not even a question of whether it's going to happen ... it's just a question of how long is it going to take. There is no doubt in my mind, it's already happened. I see myself wearing that yellow jersey."

good luck to him, he will need it to be in that yellow jersey and racing clean. Not only will he be competing with a peleton where doping pratcises are institutionalised but one where the riders don't like and make life difficult for any rider who speaks out. But, given these statements and the mentality of new teams like TIAA-CREFF, I am given hope for the future of cycling as a sport and not a pharamceuticals expo.

whiteboytrash said:
"I left the U.S. as a kid who never drank or had ever seen a drug," Smith said. "Within a month of being over there I tried and had done almost everything. I did a lot of things I am ashamed of, but I got myself back on track again."

Self-confessed former drug user leaves Discovery Channel.

Yep, this is really going to keep Lance awake at night. ;)

Who cares? He's a self admitted drug user and a shameless publicity hound. DC probably discovered his little "secrets" so he jumped before he was pushed.

Try again WBT. Seems to me that DC is winning the PR war no matter how much you hate to admit it.

Is this a real story or is it a myth?

Smith's contract was only temporary for the fastest rider of the day will be crowned Race to Replace Champion and race as an honorary member of the Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team (DCPCT) for one day in the U.S. Pro Championships on Sept. 1-3 in Greenville, S.C.

That contract was fulfilled and is now it is over or did I miss something did they offer him a real contract?

Serafino said:
Who cares? He's a self admitted drug user and a shameless publicity hound. DC probably discovered his little "secrets" so he jumped before he was pushed.

Try again WBT. Seems to me that DC is winning the PR war no matter how much you hate to admit it.
Whatever, at least he's got the guts to come clean, unlike another former Disco rider.

Serafino said:

My goodness, absolutely anyone who comes clean about doping is instantly a liar, a "publicity hound," or on some sort of anti-Lance vendetta. The character assassination is endless. Look, the guy quit for an entirely understandable reason: Discovery hired a rider who is deeply associated with a serious doping ring. And the team did it by skirting a potential DNA test. I haven't seen Smith yapping on CNN or talking to NY Times, so tell me, you who are happy to smear him into the ground for basically no reason at all, why is he a "publicity hound"?

Let's see: Discovery has a multi-million dollar budget. Smith has a modest income. Oprah and others are beating down the door to be Lance's friend. No one has heard of Smith. Do you really think the PR war is even a war? Give me a break.

Man, I simply cannot believe the lengths people will go to defend Lance and Disco. Smear Lemond. Smear Livingston. Smear Andreau and his wife. Smear Vaughters. Smear any number of former friends and associates of the man and the team. You have to believe that they are all liars, reprobates with a dirty agenda, etc. Fine, if that's the length of idol worship you are comfortable with ... well, I'm not a shrink so there is really nothing I can say.

basso97 said:
Is this a real story or is it a myth?

Smith's contract was only temporary for the fastest rider of the day will be crowned Race to Replace Champion and race as an honorary member of the Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team (DCPCT) for one day in the U.S. Pro Championships on Sept. 1-3 in Greenville, S.C.

That contract was fulfilled and is now it is over or did I miss something did they offer him a real contract?
Yeah, you kinda' hit the nail on the head there. It's much easier to quit and denounce the team as dopers if you no longer had a contract with them.

As if he were ever going to suit up.

tcklyde said:
My goodness, absolutely anyone who comes clean about doping is instantly a liar, a "publicity hound," or on some sort of anti-Lance vendetta. The character assassination is endless. Look, the guy quit for an entirely understandable reason: Discovery hired a rider who is deeply associated with a serious doping ring. And the team did it by skirting a potential DNA test. I haven't seen Smith yapping on CNN or talking to NY Times, so tell me, you who are happy to smear him into the ground for basically no reason at all, why is he a "publicity hound"?

Let's see: Discovery has a multi-million dollar budget. Smith has a modest income. Oprah and others are beating down the door to be Lance's friend. No one has heard of Smith. Do you really think the PR war is even a war? Give me a break.

Man, I simply cannot believe the lengths people will go to defend Lance and Disco. Smear Lemond. Smear Livingston. Smear Andreau and his wife. Smear Vaughters. Smear any number of former friends and associates of the man and the team. You have to believe that they are all liars, reprobates with a dirty agenda, etc. Fine, if that's the length of idol worship you are comfortable with ... well, I'm not a shrink so there is really nothing I can say.
Excellent post.

meandmybike said:
Yep, this is really going to keep Lance awake at night.
Yep, Armstrong, a proven user of EPO, will sleep well knowing that there is no one with a conscience on the team.

This whole race-to-replace was flawed. The concept was a good idea, but the execution stunk. Look, if they had rounded up the best North American talent based on qualifying races, perform physiological testing, put them in the Disco suits, had them race against top flight professionals in demanding races and made their selection based on all the results from all the above, then you'd have something. Good reality tv too.

But the R2P was held at a flat motor speedway. The races were short and contested in heats according to age grouping. The winner was the winner of his heat with the fastest time. That's it. That's what determined the next Lance Armstrong.

The guy who won, who is from my neck of the woods and races the same events I used to, is a sometimes -- read almost never -- winner of local Cat. 1-2 races. He is not the next Lance Armstrong or anything like that.

For him to come out and say he's leaving Disco because he's upset they hired Basso is only a little more noteworthy than someone who renounces their membership in the Live Strong club because Disco signed Basso.

The problem here is, and I hate to admit it, the media is so uneducated ref. the sport of cycling that this guy's gripe seems legit.

helmutRoole2 said:
This whole race-to-replace was flawed. The concept was a good idea, but the execution stunk. Look, if they had rounded up the best North American talent based on qualifying races, perform physiological testing, put them in the Disco suits, had them race against top flight professionals in demanding races and made their selection based on all the results from all the above, then you'd have something. Good reality tv too.

But the R2P was held at a flat motor speedway. The races were short and contested in heats according to age grouping. The winner was the winner of his heat with the fastest time. That's it. That's what determined the next Lance Armstrong. ...
If I rember correctly that was also held on the Day of the Tour of Elk Grove, the pro race had a purse of 100,000 and a $50.00 entry fee.

R2R had a $500 entry fee. If you are a pro where are you going?

The Cat 1-2 race had a $25,000 pay out.

TadThomas said:
Smith wrote an open letter to velonews basically saying he was taken out of context in the article. Here's the link. http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/11298.0.htmlIt's the last item at the bottom of the page.

-T
Just read it and I've got to say, what jerk. He goes to the old standby "the editors just wanted to sell newspapers." But he admits that he said all that about Basso. I like his last paragraph where he basically tells cycling fans that doping isn't there problem and they should shut their mouths.

Also, this guy is not a pro. Not.

Edit: So I just talked with a friend of mine who knows AJ well. AJ has competed in many jr. world cups on the track. He is very fast but he's purely a sprinter. Here's what he said: "He's a 200lb muscle head. He can't win races on a local level. He has to be shown the line with 200 meters to have a chance. The team he races for is strictly a local team. He thought R2R was his ticket to a pro tour contract. He's deluded." The guy who said all that is actually likes the kid. He's traveled with him, but he said, in all honesty, the kid's a whack job.

helmutRoole2 said:

Edit: So I just talked with a friend of mine who knows AJ well. AJ has competed in many jr. world cups on the track. He is very fast but he's purely a sprinter. Here's what he said: "He's a 200lb muscle head. He can't win races on a local level. He has to be shown the line with 200 meters to have a chance. The team he races for is strictly a local team. He thought R2R was his ticket to a pro tour contract. He's deluded." The guy who said all that is actually likes the kid. He's traveled with him, but he said, in all honesty, the kid's a whack job.
Being that AJ was an honnary member of DSC, did he get to ride in SC with the team, or, did he just get to wear the kit and hang out with them?

His 15min of fame expired long ago. He should just shut up and let his wins speak for him. ;)

ProTour Team Group voted discovery out of the Group.

I cut and pasted the first 2 paragraphs.

http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/11301.0.html

Discovery Channel excluded from ProTour team group

By staff and wire reports
This report filed December 8, 2006
[size=-1]A decision made at a special meeting of the International Professional Cycling Teams (IPCT) group on Friday could threaten the future status of the Discovery Channel team. [/size]

[size=-1]The group voted to exclude Discovery from its membership over its signing of Italian Ivan Basso, who is implicated in the Operación Puerto inquiry, according to a source that attended the meeting in Brussels. However, the vote does not mean that the American team loses its UCI ProTour license, which enables it to race in all of the ProTour events. [/size]

^^That story was not true. Disco was not voted out.

I never heard of AJ Smith, and we may likely never hear of him again. He should accomplish more before blowing his mouth off.

The reasons why people blindlessly flock to Armstrong's defense is that he has reached a pseudo-religious status in the US due to his cancer survival. Plus, it's rare that the US has a hero that is successful in world competition, they tend to prefer their heros in local sports never played outside of the country, yet have 'World championships'.

Armstrong has led an incredible life, but I feel that the truth about him is yet to come out, but when it does, it's not going to be pretty.

Unfortunately, the Pro Tour is still dirty, and now we are just forming clean teams and dirty teams.

...and to think we waited 29 posts for this. You've said nothing that hasn't already been said 487 times.

The Evil Twin said:
^^That story was not true. Disco was not voted out.

I never heard of AJ Smith, and we may likely never hear of him again. He should accomplish more before blowing his mouth off.

The reasons why people blindlessly flock to Armstrong's defense is that he has reached a pseudo-religious status in the US due to his cancer survival. Plus, it's rare that the US has a hero that is successful in world competition, they tend to prefer their heros in local sports never played outside of the country, yet have 'World championships'.

Armstrong has led an incredible life, but I feel that the truth about him is yet to come out, but when it does, it's not going to be pretty.

Unfortunately, the Pro Tour is still dirty, and now we are just forming clean teams and dirty teams.