Winngest marathoner of the year?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Anders Lustig, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. The winningest marathoner in Sweden won five marathons out of the eight he ran in 2003, and he is a
    40-year-old engineer who works full-time at Volvo (and is a father of three).

    Granted, his victories came at small Swedish marathons in places with such quaint names as Öresjö,
    Arvika, Bromölla, Vänersborg and Växjö - but all but one were under 2:40!

    (27th Apr 2:49:16, 10th May 2:38:16, 6th Sep 2:38:16(sic!), 20th Sep 2:37:50 and 18th Oct
    2:35:16, a PB.)

    Reima Hartikainen - the name tells us that his roots are in Finland:) - took up running in 1998,
    made his marathon debut in 1999, went sub-3:00 the same year and sub-2:40 two years later.

    He trains twice a day four times a week and races often, 35- 40 races a year, and his weekly mileage
    is 100-140K. He has two quality sessions (an interval and a tempo run, the rest are easy runs) per
    week, except between two close marathons. He hopes to go sub 2:30 within two years.

    Yikes! If I try real hard I can think that his times are probably a bit "shallow" - "Now what could
    he have done if he´d raced less?":) - but the guy started running (because his wife did and he
    wanted to back her up) the same year I did!

    FWIW there´s another swedish guy who started running in 1998 "at the age of 38, because I couldn´t
    climb up stairs and keep talking on my mobile phone". In 2000, he debuted in Stockholm (3:30) and
    ran in New York (3:08). In 2001, he ran seven marathons - including three within five weeks, all of
    which he did under 2:50! In 2002 he ran ten marathons, with a PB of 2:45...

    Anders

    Tags:

  2. Sounds like '98 was a great year to start running. :)

    Its good to hear these gentlemen are doing so well.

    --
    Lewis.

    *******************************

    "Anders Lustig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The winningest marathoner in Sweden won five marathons out of the eight he ran in 2003, and he is
    > a 40-year-old engineer who works full-time at Volvo (and is a father of three).
    >
    > Granted, his victories came at small Swedish marathons in places with such quaint names as Öresjö,
    > Arvika, Bromölla, Vänersborg and Växjö - but all but one were under 2:40!
    >
    > (27th Apr 2:49:16, 10th May 2:38:16, 6th Sep 2:38:16(sic!), 20th Sep 2:37:50 and 18th Oct
    > 2:35:16, a PB.)
    >

    > Reima Hartikainen - the name tells us that his roots are in Finland:) - took up running in 1998,
    > made his marathon debut in 1999, went sub-3:00 the same year and sub-2:40 two years later.
    >
    > He trains twice a day four times a week and races often, 35- 40 races a year, and his weekly
    > mileage is 100-140K. He has two quality sessions (an interval and a tempo run, the rest are easy
    > runs) per week, except between two close marathons. He hopes to go sub 2:30 within two years.
    >

    > Yikes! If I try real hard I can think that his times are probably a bit "shallow" - "Now what
    > could he have done if he´d raced less?":) - but the guy started running (because his wife did and
    > he wanted to back her up) the same year I did!
    >

    > FWIW there´s another swedish guy who started running in 1998 "at the age of 38, because I couldn´t
    > climb up stairs and keep talking on my mobile phone". In 2000, he debuted in Stockholm (3:30) and
    > ran in New York (3:08). In 2001, he ran seven marathons - including three within five weeks, all
    > of which he did under 2:50! In 2002 he ran ten marathons, with a PB of 2:45...
    >

    > Anders

  3. Globaldisc

    Globaldisc Guest

    >Its good to hear these gentlemen are doing so well.
    ___

    ....as long as they stay in Swedan.....hahahha...ok ok...just a little jab and Friday fun :)
    hey....when 2:49:16 is the winning time for a Marathon....that kind of speaks for itself....no?
    relax....just having some sporting fun....

  4. [email protected] (Globaldisc) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > ....as long as they stay in Swedan.....hahahha...ok ok...just a little jab and Friday fun :)
    > hey....when 2:49:16 is the winning time for a Marathon....that kind of speaks for itself....no?
    > relax....just having some sporting fun....

    Just to answer an unasked question: no, he didn´t go out to seek the smallest marathons in Sweden,
    it´s just that *all* Swedish marathons with the sole exception of Stockholm are very small -
    although there were 20 Swedes ran a faster marathon time in 2003, the winning time was better than
    his PB in only one of these marathons.

    Anders

  5. ultrajohn1

    ultrajohn1 Guest

    does he eat fish

    poor santa he only cum's once a year

  6. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Anders
    Lustig) wrote:

    > [email protected] (Globaldisc) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > > ....as long as they stay in Swedan.....hahahha...ok ok...just a little jab and Friday fun :)
    > > hey....when 2:49:16 is the winning time for a Marathon...that kind of speaks for itself....no?
    > > relax....just having some sporting fun....

    You must mean Sweden. Anyway, since when is winning time the only indicator of the competitiveness
    of a Marathon. I'm guessing the winner of the Pikes Peak Marathon doesn' go under 2:10, but that
    doesn't mean he's a wuss.

    --Harold Buck

    - Homer J. Simpson

  7. If you jogged in a marathon, you're not a winner. It's not my rule. I just abide by it.

  8. Harold Buck <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]giganews.com>...

    > Anyway, since when is winning time the only indicator of the competitiveness of a Marathon.
    > I'm guessing the winner of the Pikes Peak Marathon doesn' go under 2:10, but that doesn't mean
    > he's a wuss.

    FWIW the 2:49 winning time was a new course record, three minutes better than that of the
    second-run, and - although it was end of April - run during a +2C snowfall.

    I think I can now proclaim Reima the "World´s Winningest Marathoner" of the year - but as the thread
    drifted, it´s time to nominate candidates(1) for the "Worst Winning Time"!

    In category "Normal Marathons", I nominate "Independence Marathon" (Dec 6th, Kuopio,
    Finland): 2:59.10!

    In category "Mountain Marathons", I nominate "Swiss Alpine Marathon (Jul 26th, Davos,
    Switzerland): 3:10:05!

    (1) marathons with less than 100 participants will not be accepted.

    Anders

  9. Dot

    Dot Guest

    Anders Lustig wrote:

    > In category "Mountain Marathons", I nominate "Swiss Alpine Marathon (Jul 26th, Davos,
    > Switzerland): 3:10:05!

    I nominate Pikes Peak Marathon: 3:43:46 Matt Carpenter (new age group record) Aug 17, 2003

    And for another category, the following nomination

    Slowest 5k / 3mi:
    Mt. Marathon (Seward, AK, July 4) 47:32 Todd Boonstra (3000ft up outbound, 3000ft down inbound)

    Dot