Winngest marathoner of the year?

Anders Lustig

Guest
The winningest marathoner in Sweden won five marathons out of the eight he ran in 2003, and he is a
40-year-old engineer who works full-time at Volvo (and is a father of three).

Granted, his victories came at small Swedish marathons in places with such quaint names as Öresjö,
Arvika, Bromölla, Vänersborg and Växjö - but all but one were under 2:40!

(27th Apr 2:49:16, 10th May 2:38:16, 6th Sep 2:38:16(sic!), 20th Sep 2:37:50 and 18th Oct
2:35:16, a PB.)

Reima Hartikainen - the name tells us that his roots are in Finland:) - took up running in 1998,
made his marathon debut in 1999, went sub-3:00 the same year and sub-2:40 two years later.

He trains twice a day four times a week and races often, 35- 40 races a year, and his weekly mileage
is 100-140K. He has two quality sessions (an interval and a tempo run, the rest are easy runs) per
week, except between two close marathons. He hopes to go sub 2:30 within two years.

Yikes! If I try real hard I can think that his times are probably a bit "shallow" - "Now what could
he have done if he´d raced less?":) - but the guy started running (because his wife did and he
wanted to back her up) the same year I did!

FWIW there´s another swedish guy who started running in 1998 "at the age of 38, because I couldn´t
climb up stairs and keep talking on my mobile phone". In 2000, he debuted in Stockholm (3:30) and
ran in New York (3:08). In 2001, he ran seven marathons - including three within five weeks, all of
which he did under 2:50! In 2002 he ran ten marathons, with a PB of 2:45...

Anders

Sounds like '98 was a great year to start running. :)

Its good to hear these gentlemen are doing so well.

--
Lewis.

*******************************

"Anders Lustig" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The winningest marathoner in Sweden won five marathons out of the eight he ran in 2003, and he is
> a 40-year-old engineer who works full-time at Volvo (and is a father of three).
>
> Granted, his victories came at small Swedish marathons in places with such quaint names as Öresjö,
> Arvika, Bromölla, Vänersborg and Växjö - but all but one were under 2:40!
>
> (27th Apr 2:49:16, 10th May 2:38:16, 6th Sep 2:38:16(sic!), 20th Sep 2:37:50 and 18th Oct
> 2:35:16, a PB.)
>

> Reima Hartikainen - the name tells us that his roots are in Finland:) - took up running in 1998,
> made his marathon debut in 1999, went sub-3:00 the same year and sub-2:40 two years later.
>
> He trains twice a day four times a week and races often, 35- 40 races a year, and his weekly
> mileage is 100-140K. He has two quality sessions (an interval and a tempo run, the rest are easy
> runs) per week, except between two close marathons. He hopes to go sub 2:30 within two years.
>

> Yikes! If I try real hard I can think that his times are probably a bit "shallow" - "Now what
> could he have done if he´d raced less?":) - but the guy started running (because his wife did and
> he wanted to back her up) the same year I did!
>

> FWIW there´s another swedish guy who started running in 1998 "at the age of 38, because I couldn´t
> climb up stairs and keep talking on my mobile phone". In 2000, he debuted in Stockholm (3:30) and
> ran in New York (3:08). In 2001, he ran seven marathons - including three within five weeks, all
> of which he did under 2:50! In 2002 he ran ten marathons, with a PB of 2:45...
>

> Anders

>Its good to hear these gentlemen are doing so well.
___

....as long as they stay in Swedan.....hahahha...ok ok...just a little jab and Friday fun :)
hey....when 2:49:16 is the winning time for a Marathon....that kind of speaks for itself....no?
relax....just having some sporting fun....

[email protected] (Globaldisc) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> ....as long as they stay in Swedan.....hahahha...ok ok...just a little jab and Friday fun :)
> hey....when 2:49:16 is the winning time for a Marathon....that kind of speaks for itself....no?
> relax....just having some sporting fun....

Just to answer an unasked question: no, he didn´t go out to seek the smallest marathons in Sweden,
it´s just that *all* Swedish marathons with the sole exception of Stockholm are very small -
although there were 20 Swedes ran a faster marathon time in 2003, the winning time was better than
his PB in only one of these marathons.

Anders

does he eat fish

poor santa he only cum's once a year

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Anders
Lustig) wrote:

> [email protected] (Globaldisc) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > ....as long as they stay in Swedan.....hahahha...ok ok...just a little jab and Friday fun :)
> > hey....when 2:49:16 is the winning time for a Marathon...that kind of speaks for itself....no?
> > relax....just having some sporting fun....

You must mean Sweden. Anyway, since when is winning time the only indicator of the competitiveness
of a Marathon. I'm guessing the winner of the Pikes Peak Marathon doesn' go under 2:10, but that
doesn't mean he's a wuss.

--Harold Buck

- Homer J. Simpson

If you jogged in a marathon, you're not a winner. It's not my rule. I just abide by it.

Harold Buck <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Anyway, since when is winning time the only indicator of the competitiveness of a Marathon.
> I'm guessing the winner of the Pikes Peak Marathon doesn' go under 2:10, but that doesn't mean
> he's a wuss.

FWIW the 2:49 winning time was a new course record, three minutes better than that of the
second-run, and - although it was end of April - run during a +2C snowfall.

I think I can now proclaim Reima the "World´s Winningest Marathoner" of the year - but as the thread
drifted, it´s time to nominate candidates(1) for the "Worst Winning Time"!

In category "Normal Marathons", I nominate "Independence Marathon" (Dec 6th, Kuopio,
Finland): 2:59.10!

In category "Mountain Marathons", I nominate "Swiss Alpine Marathon (Jul 26th, Davos,
Switzerland): 3:10:05!

(1) marathons with less than 100 participants will not be accepted.

Anders

Anders Lustig wrote:

> In category "Mountain Marathons", I nominate "Swiss Alpine Marathon (Jul 26th, Davos,
> Switzerland): 3:10:05!

I nominate Pikes Peak Marathon: 3:43:46 Matt Carpenter (new age group record) Aug 17, 2003

And for another category, the following nomination

Slowest 5k / 3mi:
Mt. Marathon (Seward, AK, July 4) 47:32 Todd Boonstra (3000ft up outbound, 3000ft down inbound)

Dot