Winning photos

alienator

Jun 10, 2004
Taniwharthog directed me this site: the World Press Photo of the Year gallery. Damned good photos, all of them. Some of them are simply beautiful. Some are tragic. Some are playful. Some of them make a person uncomfortable.

Some are very hard to look at, gory, and stained with death and violence, but I think they're definitely worth viewing anyway. I think we need to see those photos to remind us how other people around the world suffer while we have the luxury ruminate on silly things like bicycles. I think we need to see the photos to remind us that inaction has real consequences, just as careless action does.

It's a very powerful gallery.

I am at work and usually visit the forum and brush up on gossip, tips and stuff..
Today after viewing the gallery i was lost for 20 mins in it...It engulfed me totally and i couldn't help myself but to look at every picture.
It is a fantastic mixture of love, happiness, sadness, death and chilling reality....
This has changed the course of my day.. I will ride home with a more a sombre attitude and be thankful for everything i have and the beautiful people that make up my life, (family , friends and even work colleagues).
Nice one...
I had a bit of a moment there.....
Top Marks..:rolleyes:

It's bicycle forum, so I say I like most the photo with a road cyclist. His face really express great effort. :)

speedygo said:
It's bicycle forum, so I say I like most the photo with a road cyclist. His face really express great effort. :)
Cześć, Jak tam ?

That is a good site A-tor. It brings a feeling of extreme reality.

alienator said:
Taniwharthog directed me this site: the World Press Photo of the Year gallery. Damned good photos, all of them. Some of them are simply beautiful. Some are tragic. Some are playful. Some of them make a person uncomfortable.

Some are very hard to look at, gory, and stained with death and violence, but I think they're definitely worth viewing anyway. I think we need to see those photos to remind us how other people around the world suffer while we have the luxury ruminate on silly things like bicycles. I think we need to see the photos to remind us that inaction has real consequences, just as careless action does.

It's a very powerful gallery.

First off thanks for crediting me this time, normally you pinch all my best work and flog it off as your own, including that glow-in-the-dark washable merkin thingame and the self-soaping doll. Anyway, I'm happy to let bygones be bygones.

Second thing, in Maori "wh" is pronounced "f", so are you implying flatulence.

Thirdly, the flippancy above, does nothing to detract or offset the gravity of the original subject matter. Like all of you above who have posted, when I found it, I was transfixed and disturbed. The viewing, much unpalatable, is as much a sight over the worst and best of humanity as a mirror for your own soul.

Share that link wide, talk to people about it, think about your place in the world.

taniwha said:
The viewing, much unpalatable, is as much a sight over the worst and best of humanity as a mirror for your own soul.

Beautifully and truthfully put.

The picture of the E-Class Benz in front of that poor shack in Italy, reminds me of how the great economy in the US got to it's current status. "I don't care if I'm in debt and have no house, as long as I'm pimpin that ride."

gman0482 said:
Cześć, Jak tam ?

That is a good site A-tor. It brings a feeling of extreme reality.

Cześć, fajnie spotkać Polaka. A ty długo na obczyźnie? Pozdrawiam

Thank you for the reality check.

Here's me worrying about the arthritis that's coming up, and there are countless people who have no food, water, arms/legs, family etc.

And how about the stoning in Somalia? Unpalatable.

dangerousbiker said:
Stoning in Somalia made me sick :mad:

I bet! As an ex-muslim, and having lived in pakistan where (whilst this kind of thing was very uncommon) I have known many, many people who condone this ****. I think part of the reason is that they've never actually seen witnessed the brutality. I don't think that you can be an adjusted human being and witness this kind of barbarity without wanting to puke or cry.

As an aside, I came across a video of a recent mobbing of a girl (perhaps in Iraq?) which began with her being pulled out of her house by a 100 strong mob and then being beaten, finally ending her misery with a giant rock which fell on her head with a sickening crunch.

Apologies if the description offended anyone, but I think that issues like these need to be kept at least in the back of our minds.

Did you wake up on the wrong side of the dugong again?

taniwha said:
First off thanks for crediting me this time, normally you pinch all my best work and flog it off as your own, including that glow-in-the-dark washable merkin thingame and the self-soaping doll. Anyway, I'm happy to let bygones be bygones.

Second thing, in Maori "wh" is pronounced "f", so are you implying flatulence.

taniwha said:
No, I've moved on to Manatees.

Now they're nice and docile. Now, if you want a girl that puts up a fight, you should try the javelinas we have around here. They bite somethin' fierce, and it's hard to train 'em to move their hips in the right way.

alienator said:
Now they're nice and docile. Now, if you want a girl that puts up a fight, you should try the javelinas we have around here. They bite somethin' fierce, and it's hard to train 'em to move their hips in the right way.

Hell, I'm in. What are their teeth like?

taniwha said:
Hell, I'm in. What are their teeth like?

Yellow, lots of plaque. They do have nice breath, though, a delicate mix of odors: tulips and smegma.