Winning the TdF: after a decade?

bobke

Oct 3, 2004
Has anyone ever won the TdF twice, separated by a decade.
1997-2006...almost a decade no?
The odds are that Ullrich has peaked.
I'm gonna say that Jan is over, cannot win, and peaked a long time ago.
His performances have been going down not up.
I dont care how thin he is.
He is Over.

Over

bobke said:
Has anyone ever won the TdF twice, separated by a decade.
1997-2006...almost a decade no?
The odds are that Ullrich has peaked.
I'm gonna say that Jan is over, cannot win, and peaked a long time ago.
His performances have been going down not up.
I dont care how thin he is.
He is Over.

Over
I believe Gino Bartali did (after the second world war)...

with u bobke. love the guy, but look at the history of sport. it rarely rarely rarely happens in any sport...time catches up with them all. i hope he proves me wrong.

Wow, I agree with Bobke (probably the only time:cool: !)......I've been saying it a year now.......basso will be the next king after armstrong!!! Possibly a double this year........

Ricardo29 said:
with u bobke. love the guy, but look at the history of sport. it rarely rarely rarely happens in any sport...time catches up with them all. i hope he proves me wrong.

I'm not so sure I agree the separation in time is a problem per se. Of all those years, 7 of them were dominated by another cyclist who had a better team and was more consistent and was a better climber -- in short, a cyclist who was better and who just kept on winning.

musette said:
I'm not so sure I agree the separation in time is a problem per se. Of all those years, 7 of them were dominated by another cyclist who had a better team and was more consistent and was a better climber -- in short, a cyclist who was better and who just kept on winning.
You make a good point, but Jan's performances have been going down.
Now is that physical or psychological.
We'll know soon enough.
I mean he pulled together by the end of the Tour in terms of time trials but Lance and Basso dropped him in the Pyrenees.
We'll see.

He's not an old man. He won his first one at 23, a very young age. This year, he will still be younger than Lance was when he won his seventh, and younger than plenty of other TdF winners (Riis, etc.). Its probably a correct assumption to say that he has passed his peak, but that doesn't mean he can't win.

I'm not saying JU hasn't peaked, but at least those in JU's camp within TM have argued that JU's performance last year was hampered by his two crashes. But I have to admit that, while JU's ITT is still among the best for remaining contenders, it is not clear that his climbing is at that level compared to them.

Also, one cannot discount the bad DS input he has traditionally received (incl but not limited to from Pavenage) relative to the best DSs in the peloton. It is not irrelevant that LA has had Bruyneel strategizing with him and helping him prepare in a very methodical and detail-oriented manner.

musette said:
Also, one cannot discount the bad DS input he has traditionally received (incl but not limited to from Pavenage) relative to the best DSs in the peloton. It is not irrelevant that LA has had Bruyneel strategizing with him and helping him prepare in a very methodical and detail-oriented manner.
True, not that just Disco leader has better DS behind him, Vinokourov also. But in Riis - Pavenage case, I'm not sure who has advantage. Probably Ullrich.

last year jan wasn't himself, i think the first TT got in his head when LA passed him, and then he didn't even have his team behind him. i wouldn't count him out, but i still think basso is next person to replace LA.

lancer_dancer01 said:
last year jan wasn't himself, i think the first TT got in his head when LA passed him, and then he didn't even have his team behind him. i wouldn't count him out, but i still think basso is next person to replace LA.

He had just went through the back of a car window and almost cut his throat. That might put you off pace a bit.
As far as dropping in performance as another poster noted, I believe he came in third last year in the fastest paced Tour of all times.
Could it be that the competition has gotten more intense?

jhuskey said:
He had just went through the back of a car window and almost cut his throat. That might put you off pace a bit.
As far as dropping in performance as another poster noted, I believe he came in third last year in the fastest paced Tour of all times.
Could it be that the competition has gotten more intense?

Ullrich's immediate competition is more intense.
I detect that time is about to start it's natural process of slowly whittling away at JU's ability to ride at the very top level.

That and the fact that he is surrounded by young guns too - make this season probably the hardest season for Jan since 2001.

The pressure on him to win the TDF this year is far greater than at any time since 2001. I suggest.

limerickman said:
I detect that time is about to start it's natural process of slowly whittling away at JU's ability to ride at the very top level.

That and the fact that he is surrounded by young guns too - make this season probably the hardest season for Jan since 2001.

The pressure on him to win the TDF this year is far greater than at any time since 2001. I suggest.

I agree. JU faces two pressures: first, enormous expectations brought on by both feeling that this his turn to ascend and by the feeling that the route is particularly suited to him. Second, there is some very strong new talent, even on his own team, that will make this a very difficult race. As I've mentioned, I think Valverde is capable of winning the Tour (and the World Championships) in 2006. Cunego, Basso, Mancebo, Kloden, Vino, and perhaps to a slightly lesser extent Leipheimer and Popo will make this a tremendously difficult race.

Of course, he can certainly do it. And although I've cast my die for Valverde, I'd love to see Ullrich win it again.

limerickman said:

For sure it gets harder every year to train. Nobody need tell me that I am feeling it right now. He does not have the stigma of the Lance factor but that can work both ways.
He does have a secret weapon this time around in Sara Steinhauser. She seems to be a major motivator in his training.
I believe she just might make the difference in giving him the edge he needs. She will be joining him next week in SA for a short time and then they will head to Tuscany.
I think she might just kick his butt hard enough to get him a win at the TDF this year.
Should be interseting.

tcklyde said:
I agree. JU faces two pressures: first, enormous expectations brought on by both feeling that this his turn to ascend and by the feeling that the route is particularly suited to him. Second, there is some very strong new talent, even on his own team, that will make this a very difficult race. As I've mentioned, I think Valverde is capable of winning the Tour (and the World Championships) in 2006. Cunego, Basso, Mancebo, Kloden, Vino, and perhaps to a slightly lesser extent Leipheimer and Popo will make this a tremendously difficult race.

Of course, he can certainly do it. And although I've cast my die for Valverde, I'd love to see Ullrich win it again.

I like Valverde and all the others that you mention too.
Valverde is a very very classy rider.

I am very impressed by Leipheimer : he had a terrific 2005 I think.

limerickman said:
I like Valverde and all the others that you mention too.
Valverde is a very very classy rider.

I am very impressed by Leipheimer : he had a terrific 2005 I think.
Agree although I think the ITTs count Valverde out this year.
Levi keeps getting better! maybe a podium this year!