Winningtime's Shoddy Service!!!

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by Eldron, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Rhodent

Rhodent New Member

Colin I think what could be offending Black Knight is that I would guess that you posted the link on your Championchip website where, no doubt, many championchip users reside. This would obviously skew their votes in favour of championchip purely because they own the chip!! Not to worry though, we enjoy having more people here and if winningtime are up to speed they can post a similar notice on their site!! (which, no doubt, will have many italians joining cyclingforums!!)<br /><br />Don't worry Colin, we enjoy your system, I think that everyone here is just a stickler for fair play, thats all!<br /><br />p.s. Of course we could also get some of the dissatisfied championchip users out there commenting badly on championchip ;) How many of them do you know about colin? (not many here)

2. Johann

Johann New Member

Ok, let us look at the issue from both sides.<br />Winningtime has done a fine job on most of the races that they have been involved in. The availability of the results is the problem.<br /><br />I had various problems with Championchip when I got my chip. Logged under another person's name, logged under the wrong distance. They still have not corrected or scrapped that result from my list of results.<br /><br />After sorting out the initial problems (which probably was caused by the race officials on that specific day) - I had no problem with Championchip and I love the fact that you can use your own chip, enabling small race to be timed aswell (on the day entries).<br /><br />I must say that the Argus statistics of 2002 is done quiet well - even better than Championchip's. <br /><br />So I guess what I'm saying is that both companies has their good points and bad points. I think debate is always healthy.<br /><br /><br />

3. Colin

Colin New Member

Rhodent, I would agree with you, on most of what you say, but by virtue that a person has a ChampionChip does not necessarily mean that they would prefer our service. Most, or I think it is fair to say ALL these ChampionChip users participate in events that do not use our service as well. In my humble opinion this puts them in the best position to make an objective assessment. Like you say Rodent, and unhappy CC users should indicate so by not voting for CC. The last I looked there was one, it is my job to try and make them happy as well, is that not so? :)

4. Black Knight

Black Knight New Member

Hi,<br /><br />I start with the fact that I believe that at least from the view of issues available to me CC provides the better service. I acknowledge the fact that I can access the data base of all my results, compare them and check my improvement. - Super service. I have had cause to follow up a number of things with CC and the response was great.<br /><br />The foregoing notwithstanding, I read the reply posted by the Argus committee on the issues raised by some members here, and imo there was some sense in it. The reply might not be to the satisfaction of everyone, but I try to be fair to all and if some of the allegations about how CC carries out its business are true then I will be worried.<br /><br />I did the Carousel race earlier this year.CC was the timing co. The seeding then was based on the participants' surnames. Enquiries revealed that this was because the fees requested by both cyclelab for the national seeding index and CC for their own data base was rather exhorbitant and the race organisers could not afford it. When you consider that this is happening when there is competition, what will happen when there is none.<br /><br />I am one of those who in real life, continues to patronise the underperformer in many cases not because of I necessarily like it, but because I know that for as long as the underperformer exists the market leader will be kept in check.<br /><br />Everytime I realise a race I have entered is WT timed, I wince, but I bear it, for I acknowledge it is the price I need to pay to retain some sanity in the market.<br />

5. ouzo

ouzo New Member

guys, just something to think about. In the response from Winningtime they mentioned that the race organisers can choose what service they'd like. What I gathered from this is that they could choose either just timed, time per category etc. <br />It might be interesting to find out from the 94.7 organisers just what sort of service did they request from WT. As I recall there has been races where winningtime has timed the event and we recieved all sorts of information regarding our placings etc. from the event. Perhaps they only requested the time and avg. speed.<br /><br />As far as how soon the results are available, sure it will be excelent service to get them on the day, however, there are always logistical problems involved and I dont mind waiting a day or two for my results.

6. pieter kemp

pieter kemp New Member

My vote goes for CC - good service all round whereas still awaiting results from Hiveld 94... nuff said.

7. ycowley

ycowley New Member

I eventually found full results (placings in group, male and female and overall) for 94.7 cycle challenge yesterday on the following website address: -<br /><br />www.pedalpower.co.za 8)

8. LOURENS

LOURENS New Member

I AGREE. WINNINGTIME SUCKS. RESULTS TAKE WAY TOO LONG TO BE POSTED. MY ITALIAN IS NOT SO HOT, SO TEND TO BATTLE NEGOTIATING MY WAY AROUND THE SITE. YES, THEY MUST HAVE A LARGE MARKET SHARE IN SA AND WE CAN PROBABLY THANK THE GURU'S AT CYCLELAB/SUPERCYCLING TO THANK FOR THAT (I WONDER WHATS IN IT FOR THEM).

WINNINGTIME CAN TAKE A LEAFLET FROM CHAMPIONCHIP AND HAVE A DECENT WEB SITE WHERE RESULTS ARE EASILY ACCESSIBLE AND POSTED WITHIN HOURS OF COMPLETION OF THE EVENT.

NO, I DON'T THINK THAT YOU ARE WORNG, OR YOUR FIANCE IS WRONG, OR YOUR FRIENDS ARE WRONG, CAUSE THEN I AM WRONG, AND MY FRIENDS ARE WRONG, AND ALL OUR CYCLING CLUB MEMBERS ARE WRONG, AND ........)

9. Vo2

Vo2 Member

Supercycling Challenge... nuff said...

10. RalleighOke

RalleighOke New Member

A "dark" day for cycling, when cyclist start to take hits at each other. Thank goodness for CyclingForums :)

11. qcoelho

qcoelho New Member

hi all,
    I haven't read the whole chat above, but as far as I know winningtime is owned by the same people that arrange all the Pick n Pay races..... May-be that is why we see them at the PnP races. I have just riden the Hyper to Hyper and my time is not available on their site and there is NO contact number for them....

Cheers

12. GiantOke

GiantOke New Member

I logged onto this BB to notice the topic winningtime, dating back to 2002, well it is February 2004 and the state of Affairs is that winning time is still providing a completely substandard service to it's ultimate client base, cyclists. The only two races that they do now provide a fairly quick and efficient service to is the Argus and 94.7, however any other race and you are not important at all. I did the Amashova only to find no time at all, I have emailed them in excess of twenty times since October 2003, with only an automated reply stating that they are busy with the OFM and cannot reply until later. This even after the 94.7, was completed was the automatic reply, still busy with the OFM Classic. The state of affairs is that the Supercycling Race in Edenvale on the 8th of Feb has at the last moment changed from Winningtime to Championchip, good for them. However it will be interesting to see whether the ARGUS heavies will allow them to remain as part of the Liberty series, which is used for Argus seeding. Is the Liberty seeding not really just a means to force races to use Winningtime? When does the influence of the WPPA and their mega bucks stop influencing cycling in South Africa on the money generated by our support of their race. Winningtime, makes more money, with WPPA (Now called PPA) on the Argus, than possibly all the timed races combined, with the exception of the 94.7. They could not be bothered to put the same effort into the other races, because the amount of effort required to do the job properly does not equal the return received from the Argus. And as long as the almost incestuous relationship remains between the two organisations, well just have to endure. However the Argus is becoming a big business, and they would stand to loose financially should cyclists boycott their race, they would have to explain to sponsors why they continue to stick to Winningtime. One comment made by a rep of the Argus was that problems experienced on other races should not be aired on their BB, however it is the Argus, who has defined specific races which must be done to qualify for seeding for the Argus, should any problems exist with these races it is a direct result of this policy. They have forced us to go and do these races, which lo and behold only use Winningtime.

Yours in Cycling