winter bike helmet

Looks like overkill to me. I rode all through last winter (in NYC) with just a woolly hat under my helmet. A balaclava would be even better, as long as it's not a mouth-coverupper.

Note: I have two helmets, both good Specializeds. The one I wear in summer fits perfectly on a bare head. The one I wear in winter would be a bit big without the hat under it.

e0richt said:
I am going to try to cycle in the winter (up to a certain point...) and was
wondering if this helmet was a good idea... anyone try this yet?

http://sterlingtek.stores.yahoo.net/voxfufaflupm.html

the ad says useful for biking...

As the other reply mentioned overkill with that helemt.

Just buy something with less vents and as mentioned try the new helmet on with a hat or something else. Thats the key thing is getting the right fit with the extra layer.

e0richt said:
I am going to try to cycle in the winter (up to a certain point...) and was
wondering if this helmet was a good idea... anyone try this yet?

http://sterlingtek.stores.yahoo.net/voxfufaflupm.html

the ad says useful for biking...

I think biking meant motorcycling.... like "bikers" can mean either cyclist or motorcyclist... all I can say is you won't have a bug in mouth/face problem!

It may not be able to handle the volume of air you're exhausting. Has anyone ever tried biking in a full face street style motorcycle helmet? It seems like you'd be looking at frosted glass in no time. Other than that it seems like a great idea.

OrangePatriot said:
Looks like overkill to me.
Must disagree. When it's cold and windy, you want your face covered. I used a heat exchanger mask and some ski goggles but those rob you of your peripheral vision.

Sometimes the cold wind makes your eyes water at the most inopportune times. You can't see and you can't take your hands off the controls to fiddle with your glasses and wipe your eyes.

It may look a bit out of place, and it may not handle the heavy breathing of bicycling, but I would love to see properly designed full face helmets become accepted for bicycling.

garage sale GT said:
Must disagree. When it's cold and windy, you want your face covered. I used a heat exchanger mask and some ski goggles but those rob you of your peripheral vision.

Sometimes the cold wind makes your eyes water at the most inopportune times. You can't see and you can't take your hands off the controls to fiddle with your glasses and wipe your eyes.

It may look a bit out of place, and it may not handle the heavy breathing of bicycling, but I would love to see properly designed full face helmets become accepted for bicycling.
ok, it says specifically, for motorcycle, bike and snowmobile so I am wondering if its a bit heavy or not... has anyone tried the full face "mountain bike" helmets?do they allow for the venting needed?

I agree about the "tearing eyes" phenomonom, even early morning now, that happens until you get used to the temp... just imagine when it gets colder...

OrangePatriot said:
Looks like overkill to me. I rode all through last winter (in NYC) with just a woolly hat under my helmet. A balaclava would be even better, as long as it's not a mouth-coverupper.

Note: I have two helmets, both good Specializeds. The one I wear in summer fits perfectly on a bare head. The one I wear in winter would be a bit big without the hat under it.
I use the balaclava under a helmet. This works well. Mine covers my mouth, and I have no problem with this. The mouth covering helps keep the entire face warm, as you exhale. It easily pulls away from the mouth, if need be. In sub-zero weather, I've had my eyelids stick a little. I wonder if the shielded helmet would help with this?

Over the years, I've found that a lot of equipment isn't good for real cold weather, expecially items made of brittle plastic. I never see motorcyclists out in real cold weather. This thing may crack under the cold stress, and you could be stuck with a $65 trash can entry.

poweredbysweat said:
I use the balaclava under a helmet. This works well. Mine covers my mouth, and I have no problem with this. The mouth covering helps keep the entire face warm, as you exhale. It easily pulls away from the mouth, if need be. In sub-zero weather, I've had my eyelids stick a little. I wonder if the shielded helmet would help with this?

Over the years, I've found that a lot of equipment isn't good for real cold weather, expecially items made of brittle plastic. I never see motorcyclists out in real cold weather. This thing may crack under the cold stress, and you could be stuck with a $65 trash can entry.
ok, I am going to have to confess something here... what the heck is a balaclava?

e0richt said:
I agree about the "tearing eyes" phenomonom, even early morning now, that happens until you get used to the temp... just imagine when it gets colder...
I am referring to subfreezing weather. A good gust, when it's 15-20 degrees out, can cause so much tearing it stops you dead in your tracks. Or, more precisely put, you better stop because you can't see and your eyes want to shut involuntarily.

e0richt said:
ok, I am going to have to confess something here... what the heck is a balaclava?
I like my "Psolar" heat exchanger face mask/balaclava. It works too well unless it's real, real cold, and you have to poke your nose out the top.

I take my helmet and duct tape the opening on top , at first just a few, tehn more as it gets colder, then start removing as it get warming. Too cold is -20 C I wear a neck tube under my helmet so it under chin. When it gets cold pull up over chin to just under mouth. When I get too warm by the time I hit downdown I can just pull it off without taking off my helmet so I can do it stopped for a light. I usually start wearing safely glasses at - 3C to stop the eye watering . Ski goggles only if really cold say - 17C or so.