Winter bike wear for roundlings

geemike says...

> A buddy tells me I'm risking tendonitis of the knees if I ride
> below 60(f) without some type of biking pants.
>
> I've built myself into relatively nice riding condition this
> summer/fall and don't want to stop riding with the onset of cold
> weather. Are there any bike wear companies that make stuff that
> might fit me? I'm 5'5", 225 lbs.
>
> I can fit the extra large roadie jackets, but finding something to
> cover my legs has been impossible.
>
> BTW, I'm a roadie on a MTB, riding in Salt Lake City.
>

> Mike G

I'm 5' 9" and 170. For anything that is designed to be skin tight, I
have to go large, which I consider to be strange since I am barely
average in height and weight. I would think that you would find it very
difficult to get anything that fits in cycling clothes. You do risk
minor hypothermia riding at road speeds at less than 60F in shorts and a
sleeveless jersey, but it would need to be a lot colder than that to be
a serious health risk. Never heard of a connection between hypothermia
and tendonitis, but, who knows, maybe there is something to it.
Exercising generates its own heat, so I find it to actually be more of a
problem over dressing and sweating like a pig. With a BMI like yours,
hypothermia for you will be much less of a problem than for a skinny
person. I've been hitting sporting goods departments for cold weather
riding clothes. You can get excellent close fitting running pants from
Nike and others that aren't quite tights that will fit over cycling
shorts.

On 2004-10-26, Ride-A-Lot penned:

> Confidence, man! Confidence! I hate to say this, too. Another secret to
> my weight loss was giving up alcohol for good. I know that's blasphemy in
> the MTB world, but I just thought it was wasted calories, made me feel like
> **** in the morning, and I like pasta more than beer. I don't miss it.
> OK, I miss Guiness but I can deal with the pain. In the recent camping trip
> we all sat around the fire drinking beer, and I had my Coca-Cola.

Does coke have fewer calories than beer?

My problem seems to be coffee (I flavor my mug of milk with some coffee) and
fruit juice -- fruit juice is nutritionally about as healthy as sugar-water.
I gave up fully-caffeinated bevs a few years ago (and am a much happier person
because of it, sadly), and I drink my few girl-drinks so slowly that I never
manage to get to the point where I feel ill the next day. Probably a good
thing =)

So hard to get into a good food routine and so easy to bust it -- Germany got
me reaccustomed to fatty foods, and my current injury is goading me into
eating "comfort foods." I looked at myself in profile yesterday and did *not*
like what I saw. All this summer's work (both +muscle and -fat) seems to have
been nixed. It's hard to get motivated when it's dark by the time I leave the
office.

Okay, enough self-pity. I just need more self-discipline. And maybe a lock
on the cupboard.

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain

"geemike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> A buddy tells me I'm risking tendonitis of the knees if I ride
> below 60(f) without some type of biking pants.

Your buddy sounds goofy.

> I've built myself into relatively nice riding condition this
> summer/fall and don't want to stop riding with the onset of cold
> weather. Are there any bike wear companies that make stuff that
> might fit me? I'm 5'5", 225 lbs.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com for the light and midweight wicking
long sleeve shirts...amny sizes and colors to choose from and very
inexpensive.

> I can fit the extra large roadie jackets, but finding something to
> cover my legs has been impossible.
>
> BTW, I'm a roadie on a MTB, riding in Salt Lake City.

Repeat after me, "stay on the trail" and repeat over and over until
you lose the roadie tendencies.

JD

Slacker wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:33:37 -0700, GeeDubb <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Westie wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm 5'7" and just under 200 at the moment. Even when I'm in great
>>> shape and riding the bike until I'm senseless, I'm still no less
>>> than 185. Big bones, I tell you. Big bones and a few extra pounds
>>> and blam! You're over 200 just like that.

>> 5'9", 195. Genetics suck! Like you, in my best race shape I still
>> tipped
>> the scale at 185 and then couldn't fit into the jeans I wore at 195
>> (thunder
>> thighs). Stopped drinking for a year and nothing, notta, zilch
>> weight loss
>> so I started drinking again....no weight gain or loss. Now I need
>> to cut out the bread and see if that helps with the weight loss......
>>
>> Atkins, you suck! I need the carbs, man!
>>
>> Gary
>>

> hehehe... I did Atkins for a couple years, but I need those carbs too.
> Atkins wasn't't long term sustainable for me.

I saw the results of a study done on the Atkins diet released a couple of
months ago. The conclusion was that Atkins was good for short term weight
loss but after 12 months (or was it 6?) it was no better than any other
diet. They specifically mentioned that they hadn't looked at the
nutritional implications of long term Atkins diet either.

I guess it comes back to the ol' energy in must be less than energy out,
regardless of the diet you use.
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Westie wrote:
>> I've been known to shop in the women's department of The Warehouse
>> (I guess that'd be something like KMart or Target for you guys) for
>> leggings. They're very cheap (like $5USD) and are fine unless it's
>> really, really cold. For those days I splashed the cash for some
>> proper leggings at www.groundeffect.co.nz I emailed them first to
>> see if they had sizes that fit my short round legs properly and sure
>> enough they did. Good, helpful customer service.

> {Sideshow Bob Shudder} Now I can't seem to get this aweful picture
> out of my mind. {In my best Homer Simpson voice} Damn sexy Westie!

Yeah, baby, yeah! :)