Winter Bikes???

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Meschersmit, Aug 27, 2004.

  1. Meschersmit

    Meschersmit Guest

    Thanks to the lovely summer I have not been out on my pride and joy road
    bike as much as I would like to. I'd like to get a Winter Bike, or rough
    bike if you like, so I can train in lousy weather in summer and winter. Can
    anyone recommend such a bike that doesn't cost the earth (£700 or so)??
    Many thanks,
    MS

    Tags:

  2. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Meschersmit <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Thanks to the lovely summer I have not been out on my pride and joy road
    : bike as much as I would like to. I'd like to get a Winter Bike, or rough
    : bike if you like, so I can train in lousy weather in summer and winter. Can
    : anyone recommend such a bike that doesn't cost the earth (£700 or so)??

    I got a Tifosi CK7 audax/winter training frame (I had the bits) and it's
    lovely. Takes deep drop dual pivots and 'guards. Frame is £200 so you
    could build a new bike up for £800 or so.

    http://www.tifosi-cycles.co.uk/frames/ck7.html
    (there's a CW review there)

    10 Speed Veloce Triple £598

    For a cheap frame I'm really, really pleased with how it rides.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    - Paulina Borsook

  3. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Meschersmit wrote:
    > Thanks to the lovely summer I have not been out on my pride and joy road
    > bike as much as I would like to. I'd like to get a Winter Bike, or rough
    > bike if you like, so I can train in lousy weather in summer and winter.Can
    > anyone recommend such a bike that doesn't cost the earth (£700 or so)??

    ITYM "Hack bike" ;-)

    The EBC Revolution Continentals are £300 and £400 and both have eyelets
    for mudguards, so if you want to ride in the wet without being covered
    in the delightful crunge that covers the roads that could be a very nice
    feature. They're not exactly top end but reviews suggest they're okay
    and good value (fairly typical for EBC bikes).
    http://www.edinburgh-bicycle.co.uk and follow links into the shop.

    The rags have various bargains on last years colour bikes and may be
    worth a look through.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  4. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:

    : ITYM "Hack bike" ;-)

    I think he doesn't :)

    I have a "Hack Bike" for going to the pub and leaving out. I also
    have a winter training bike for riding distance in winter. It's
    much too nice to leave outside the pub but rather less nicer than
    my summer race bike.

    --
    Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org
    - Paulina Borsook

  5. davek

    davek Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > I got a Tifosi CK7 audax/winter training frame (I had the bits) and it's
    > lovely. Takes deep drop dual pivots and 'guards. Frame is £200 so you
    > could build a new bike up for £800 or so.

    That reminds me - Ribble were offering a 7005 audax/winter frame for
    £160, with ITM carbon forks (with mudguard eyes), integral headset,
    alloy seatpost and SKS narrow mudguards thrown in free...

    Unfortunately, the offer ended at midday today. But it would probably be
    worth keeping an eye on their site for future offers.

    d.

  6. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    davek wrote:

    > That reminds me - Ribble were offering a 7005 audax/winter frame for
    > £160, with ITM carbon forks (with mudguard eyes), integral headset,
    > alloy seatpost and SKS narrow mudguards thrown in free...

    Wow! That's a good deal. Those ITM forks (Spider, I presume) are worth £60
    on their own.

  7. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Meschersmit
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Thanks to the lovely summer I have not been out on my pride and joy
    > road
    > bike as much as I would like to. I'd like to get a Winter Bike, or
    > rough
    > bike if you like, so I can train in lousy weather in summer and
    > winter. Can anyone recommend such a bike that doesn't cost the earth
    > (£700 or so)?? Many thanks,

    I have a Raleigh Record Sprint, bought in 1992 for not a lot. It never
    was great, but as something to put the miles on over the winter it's
    more than adequate. You can get something as good in your local paper
    small ads for under a hundred, and spending less than another hundred
    tidying it up will give you something perfectly functional.

    --
    [email protected].uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

  8. MSA

    MSA Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > davek wrote:
    >
    > > That reminds me - Ribble were offering a 7005 audax/winter frame for
    > > £160, with ITM carbon forks (with mudguard eyes), integral headset,
    > > alloy seatpost and SKS narrow mudguards thrown in free...

    > Wow! That's a good deal. Those ITM forks (Spider, I presume) are worth £60
    > on their own.

    This is what I've just ordered. Being built with Ambrosio Excellence
    wheels and Veloce 10 speed, double.

    http://tinyurl.com/48rvz

    A friend has one, well impressed.

    --
    Mark (MSA)
    This post is packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling