Winter Biking Problem

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Ralph Burns, Jan 27, 2003.

  1. Ralph Burns

    Ralph Burns Guest

    I live in Minnesota, USA. In the winter, I have a problem keeping my thumbs from freezing. The
    mittens I wear are designed for snowmobiling. Since the thumb is separate from the rest of the
    fingers, below zero, I can't keep the thumbs from freezing. I tried inserting nylon inner gloves,
    keeping the thumbs next to the other fingers, to no avail. My son suggested installing a warming
    device on the handle bars which come as standard equipment on snowmobiles. No possibility since
    there is no electrical system on a bike. How do people in Canada keep their hands from freezing at
    -45degree temp? Ralph

    Tags:

  2. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Ralph Burns <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I live in Minnesota, USA. In the winter, I have a problem keeping my thumbs from freezing. The
    > mittens I wear are designed for snowmobiling. Since the thumb is separate from the rest of the
    > fingers, below zero, I can't keep the thumbs from freezing. I tried inserting nylon inner
    gloves,
    > keeping the thumbs next to the other fingers, to no avail. My son
    suggested
    > installing a warming device on the handle bars which come as standard equipment on snowmobiles. No
    > possibility since there is no electrical system on a bike. How do people in Canada keep their
    > hands from freezing at -45degree temp? Ralph

    A warm fire?

    Shaun aRe

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    >> I live in Minnesota, USA. In the winter, I have a problem keeping my thumbs from freezing. The
    >> mittens I wear are designed for snowmobiling. Since the thumb is separate from the rest of the
    >> fingers, below zero, I can't keep the thumbs from freezing. I tried inserting nylon inner
    >
    > gloves,
    >
    >>keeping the thumbs next to the other fingers, to no avail. My son
    >
    > suggested
    >
    >>installing a warming device on the handle bars which come as standard equipment on snowmobiles. No
    >>possibility since there is no electrical system on a bike. How do people in Canada keep their
    >>hands from freezing at -45degree temp? Ralph
    >

    > A warm fire?

    ...and a glass of cognac.

    I know it's often said here that there are no seasons for mountain biking. However, who honestly
    would consider going out riding in -45 deg temps, and then only complain that their thumbs are a
    little chilly (apart from the Canucks)?

    Nutters. The lot of 'em.

  4. Kathleen

    Kathleen Guest

    Ralph Burns wrote:
    > I live in Minnesota, USA. In the winter, I have a problem keeping my thumbs from freezing. The
    > mittens I wear are designed for snowmobiling. Since the thumb is separate from the rest of the
    > fingers, below zero, I can't keep the thumbs from freezing. I tried inserting nylon inner
    > gloves, keeping the thumbs next to the other fingers, to no avail. My son suggested installing a
    > warming device on the handle bars which come as standard equipment on snowmobiles. No
    > possibility since there is no electrical system on a bike. How do people in Canada keep their
    > hands from freezing at -45degree temp? Ralph

    Actually, I suspect that when it's -45, most of them stay home.

    I'm not a canuck, nor do I play one on tv, but when the mercury drops below, say 20, 25 degrees
    (depending on the wind), I consider it too cold to ride. I live in Missouri, though, and considering
    we have only maybe fifteen, twenty days a year like that, it's not a huge hardship. We lose a lot
    more riding days to mud than cold.

    Kathleen

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

  6. Darsh

    Darsh Guest

    "Ralph Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I live in Minnesota, USA. In the winter, I have a problem keeping my thumbs from freezing. The
    > mittens I wear are designed for snowmobiling. Since the thumb is separate from the rest of the
    > fingers, below zero, I can't keep the thumbs from freezing. I tried inserting nylon inner
    gloves,
    > keeping the thumbs next to the other fingers, to no avail. My son
    suggested
    > installing a warming device on the handle bars which come as standard equipment on snowmobiles. No
    > possibility since there is no electrical system on a bike. How do people in Canada keep their
    > hands from freezing at -45degree temp? Ralph

    You need Sub-Way bags. Not kidding. The bags that Sub-Way subs come in. Use the bag on the inside of
    the mitten.

    If they are good enough for the iditarod, the iron butt, and icebike.com, they should be good
    enough for you.

    Worked well for me once upon a time, although I did use bags other than the Sub-Way version.

    darsh

  7. "Ralph Burns" <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Mon, 27 Jan 2003
    11:43:24 UTC

    -> How do people in Canada keep their hands from freezing -> at -45degree temp? ->

    well at -45 I am likely going to stay inside but my mitts worked just fine keeping my hands warm at
    -35 C. Those were the louis gaurneau lobster claw styled ones. I also have som military surplus
    arctic mitts that are too warm at that temperature but they were dry and the others were not.

    the real problem is keeping eyeglasses from fogging up.

    --
    I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
    [email protected]

  8. Tom Purvis

    Tom Purvis Guest

    "Ralph Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > ...How do people in Canada keep their hands from freezing at -45degree temp?

    Uh, by staying inside?

    Sorry to be a smart-a$$ but in all seriousness, once it gets to be below a certain temp, there isn't
    all that much you can do other than not be out for more than a little while (if you want to be able
    to shift and brake). I've ridden at 0 fahrenheit and a bit below that, but only a fairly short
    commute. As I recall, I was glad to be heading inside after that much time when it was below 10.

    Aren't there some battery-powered gloves out there? Seems like that would be a more direct solution
    than trying to heat the bars.

    I'm sure you'll get more useful responses than mine, but allow me to point out: Zero
    Fahrenheit is COLD!
    --
    Tom Purvis - http://www.arkansasvalley.net Salida, CO

  9. [email protected] (Tom Purvis) spake thusly on or about Mon, 27 Jan 2003
    16:51:13 UTC

    -> I'm sure you'll get more useful responses than mine, -> but allow me to point out: Zero
    Fahrenheit is COLD! ->

    Yawn

    in general 0 F/-18c is a lovely day to ride go sledding or whatever. cold starts around -30C and too
    cold(for me because I cannot protect my face and see both) is around -40. If i could keep my glasses
    from frosting over I could and would still ride. Tyres are frozen solid and offer little cushion at
    around -37 C. thick lubes should be avoided in the winter.

    windchill is a factor of what direction you are going, how fast and the reletive air movement
    --
    I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
    [email protected]

  10. Dick

    Dick Guest

    [email protected] wrote:> [email protected] (Tom Purvis) spake thusly on or about
    Mon, 27 Jan 2003
    > 16:51:13 UTC
    >
    > -> I'm sure you'll get more useful responses than mine, -> but allow me to point out: Zero
    > Fahrenheit is COLD! ->
    >
    > Yawn
    >
    > in general 0 F/-18c is a lovely day to ride go sledding or whatever. cold starts around -30C and
    > too cold(for me because I cannot protect my face and see both) is around -40. If i could keep my
    > glasses from frosting over I could and would still ride.

    I have a hard time once it gets below 0 F because my gloves get too thick. As for the face, a nice
    mask, snowboard helmet, and ski goggles solve that and do a good job of not steaming up. If you're
    into army surplus stuff, get a tank drivers mask, those are warm down to any temp.

  11. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 05:43:24 -0600, "Ralph Burns" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I live in Minnesota, USA. In the winter, I have a problem keeping my thumbs from freezing. The
    > mittens I wear are designed for snowmobiling. Since the thumb is separate from the rest of the
    > fingers, below zero, I can't keep the thumbs from freezing. I tried inserting nylon inner gloves,
    > keeping the thumbs next to the other fingers, to no avail. My son suggested installing a warming
    > device on the handle bars which come as standard equipment on snowmobiles. No possibility since
    > there is no electrical system on a bike. How do people in Canada keep their hands from freezing
    > at -45degree temp? Ralph

    I lived there also, and that's cold even for MN....stay the hell inside.

    :-]

  12. "Ralph Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I live in Minnesota, USA. In the winter, I have a problem keeping my thumbs from freezing. The
    > mittens I wear are designed for snowmobiling. Since the thumb is separate from the rest of the
    > fingers, below zero, I can't keep the thumbs from freezing. I tried inserting nylon inner
    gloves,
    > keeping the thumbs next to the other fingers, to no avail. My son
    suggested
    > installing a warming device on the handle bars which come as standard equipment on snowmobiles. No
    > possibility since there is no electrical system on a bike. How do people in Canada keep their
    > hands from freezing at -45degree temp? Ralph

    http://www.enteract.com/~icebike/Clothing/handprotection.htm

  13. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >How do people in Canada keep their hands from freezing at -45degree temp?

    Dunno about -45, but down to about 20 below how about switchint to cross-country skiing? Less wind
    chill, more amenable to mittens...
    -----------------------
    Pete Cresswell

  14. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 22:18:01 GMT, "D T W .../\\..." <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Ralph Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> I live in Minnesota, USA. In the winter, I have a problem keeping my thumbs from freezing. The
    >> mittens I wear are designed for snowmobiling. Since the thumb is separate from the rest of the
    >> fingers, below zero, I can't keep the thumbs from freezing. I tried inserting nylon inner
    >gloves,
    >> keeping the thumbs next to the other fingers, to no avail. My son
    >suggested
    >> installing a warming device on the handle bars which come as standard equipment on snowmobiles.
    >> No possibility since there is no electrical system on a bike. How do people in Canada keep their
    >> hands from freezing at -45degree temp? Ralph
    >>

    > http://www.enteract.com/~icebike/Clothing/handprotection.htm

    Nice link,

    bill

    :-]

  15. Dick <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Mon, 27 Jan 2003 19:09:20 UTC

    -> I have a hard time once it gets below 0 F because my gloves get too -> thick

    not an issue with thinsulate winter bike mitts but the ones i have do need to be died out
    between rides

    --
    I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
    [email protected]

  16. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Check out a motorcycle shop , there are heated plug in gloves.

    Fire up MTB 03

  17. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

  18. Dick

    Dick Guest

    Michael Dart wrote:> <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> Check out a motorcycle shop , there are heated plug in gloves.
    >>
    >>Fire up MTB 03
    >>

    > Plug in to what?
    >
    > Mike

    If you have to ask...

  19. Michael Dart wrote:
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>Check out a motorcycle shop , there are heated plug in gloves.

    > Plug in to what?

    "Don't ask, don't tell."

  20. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Michael Dart wrote:
    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >>Check out a motorcycle shop , there are heated plug in gloves.
    >
    > > Plug in to what?
    >
    > "Don't ask, don't tell."

    Suddenly everyone has to be Rimmer.

    Mike