winter biking



chico1st

New Member
Dec 1, 2007
8
0
0
Hello everyone (1st post :D)
im sure this question has been asked many times but i couldnt get the search to work

i am a new bike commuter but I like in southern ontario canada, it is snowy and cold (-20C without wind at worst) , and i want to commute all winter but i dont know what to do.

I have a balaklava and a beater bike, but do i need snow tires or anything like that? I know you can get studded tires.
Should I just not bike during the winter?

also I have mittens but my hands still get quite cold. they are nice mittens leather outside and fleecy inside.

THANKS!
 

garage sale GT

New Member
Jun 6, 2006
1,696
3
38
Keep trying that search! The topic has been well covered. It can be done and there is a wealth of tips.

One which hasn't been too thoroughly covered is the fact that your average beater bike may not have sealed hubs and needs repacking with grease every now and then when used in the wet, which leads to waterborne grit reaching the bearings. It's an easy job but you have to buy a special, thin wrench.
 

BernardM

New Member
Nov 25, 2007
8
0
0
Hi Chico, I am in Ontario too. Good luck with the winter riding. I gave it up last year due to scary drivers and crashing down a few times due to icy conditions. So whereabouts in Ontario are you?
 

velo711

New Member
Nov 28, 2006
57
0
0
62
Slow down Chico, I'm from southern Ontario too(Kitchener), and it's not
about the clothing, it's about the safety. The roads are smaller(because
of snowbanks), the cars windows are fogged and iced up which decreases
visibility for the motorist, plus they are nervous and are driving too fast for the conditions. They will cut you no quarter, and you will get hit. Throw it
all in the mix with the unpleasantness of riding in the cold, snow and ice,
and sheer energy drain of pedalling, it's a no brainer. Cheers.


chico1st said:
Hello everyone (1st post :D)
im sure this question has been asked many times but i couldnt get the search to work

i am a new bike commuter but I like in southern ontario canada, it is snowy and cold (-20C without wind at worst) , and i want to commute all winter but i dont know what to do.

I have a balaklava and a beater bike, but do i need snow tires or anything like that? I know you can get studded tires.
Should I just not bike during the winter?

also I have mittens but my hands still get quite cold. they are nice mittens leather outside and fleecy inside.

THANKS!
 

garage sale GT

New Member
Jun 6, 2006
1,696
3
38
velo711 said:
Slow down Chico, I'm from southern Ontario too(Kitchener), and it's not
about the clothing, it's about the safety. The roads are smaller(because
of snowbanks), the cars windows are fogged and iced up which decreases
visibility for the motorist, plus they are nervous and are driving too fast for the conditions. They will cut you no quarter, and you will get hit. Throw it
all in the mix with the unpleasantness of riding in the cold, snow and ice,
and sheer energy drain of pedalling, it's a no brainer. Cheers.
Without a doubt, it is better to stay out of the street unless/until the piles of plowed snow recede enough to let you use the shoulder. Or, sidewalks, or less traveled streets. Might not be possible to ride safely on a commute, when you don't have total freedom to choose your route.
 

kdelong

Well-Known Member
Dec 14, 2006
3,477
67
48
buckybux said:
Cold I can handle! Snow or ice on the road I don't.
I don't like the snow, ice, or cold. I usually ride my rollers when the daytime temps drop below 50 degrees. Maybe I should pack up and move to Tuscon. Hey Alienator, can I rent your garage:D ?
 

BernardM

New Member
Nov 25, 2007
8
0
0
kdelong said:
I don't like the snow, ice, or cold. I usually ride my rollers when the daytime temps drop below 50 degrees. Maybe I should pack up and move to Tuscon. Hey Alienator, can I rent your garage:D ?
I couldn't agree more. I moved to Toronto a few years ago I am still struggling to ride my bike outdoor for more than 6 months during the year. It makes sense, at anything below 50 degrees riding your bike at 20-25 mph and you have a pretty awful windchill.
I wonde how Steve Bauer managed up here :D
 

Intheloonybin

New Member
Sep 4, 2007
13
0
0
52
You can buy studded tires for the snow and ice. I am looking at buying Nokian 294 extremes when I have some $. They are not cheap! I have not ridden in the snow yet (today is first day with snow, but had to drive).

You can also dress for the cold. I use Pearlizumi lobster claw gloves, and with wick inserts have ridden at 5 F (-13 C) and my hands were warm. I have been using hand warmer packets (on my toes) in my cycling shoes with shoe covers over them. I want to get winter cycling boots, but again $...

If you can't ride safely, you may not want to. But if there is a safe route, go for it!

Good luck!
 

musher

New Member
Feb 21, 2006
124
1
0
67
chico1st said:
Hello everyone (1st post :D)
im sure this question has been asked many times but i couldnt get the search to work

i am a new bike commuter but I like in southern ontario canada, it is snowy and cold (-20C without wind at worst) , and i want to commute all winter but i dont know what to do.

I have a balaklava and a beater bike, but do i need snow tires or anything like that? I know you can get studded tires.
Should I just not bike during the winter?

also I have mittens but my hands still get quite cold. they are nice mittens leather outside and fleecy inside.

THANKS!
Get a trainer and burn same rabber in door :D ,you'll live longer.:p Ride hard.Musher