Winter Biking

gudujarlson

Aug 30, 2012
Here are a couple photos from my ride today.

There is a second water bottle on the bike. Can you spot it?

Cruising through the park.

Nope, my bike does not have a kick stand.

Get some skis! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif Jealous of your snow. Hard work riding in it but fun until it gets too deep.

Nice!

Here are some photos from my winter cycling tour last Saturday. Around 120 kilometres from Oulu, Finland to Hailuoto, which is an island located opposite the City of Oulu in the Gulf of Bothnia, and back.

Also, this is my first post on the forum, yay. Higher resolution versions can be found on my blog. Oh, and if you like winter cycling you might like to check out photos from I Bike Oulu – Winter Bike Challenge held in Oulu on 13 February 2013.

Anyway, hi everyone!

how can you guys actually ride on that snow ? do you need special tires ?

It depends a lot on the conditions. Snow and ice conditions vary over a great range. Fresh snow up to a few inches can be ridden with pretty much any tire. Deeper than that and you might do ok with a 4" or wider tire. I don't have a fat bike so I'm not too sure. Deep slush is immpassable as far as I have seen. Partially packed "mashed potatoe" snow is really hard with 2" tires but can be done with 4" tires. Nicely packed snow can be ridden with anything. Ice requires studded tires