Winter/Build training for the overtrainer

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by KWalker, Nov 15, 2010.

1. holli

holli New Member

Well it's obviously not about the power. It must be about tactics and not being able to repeat the efforts. Do some 3 x 20's or even 4 x 20's instead of racking up TSS by riding endless tempo. Also do some 1' on 1' off type of stuff a recommended by others here and maybe don't train so much. 140 CTL is something huge, rest more and aim at 80-100 CTL with good quality training sessions. Chasing CTL doesn't differ that much from chasing hours.

2. SteveI

SteveI New Member

They're accurate at the top and bottom, based on data for untrained and world class cyclists. The divisions in between are arbitrary, based on simply evenly spacing the range in between the two extremes, there was no attempt to measure the performance of the various cats of cyclist.

3. JibberJim

JibberJim Member

Quote:
    My experience in UK racing (back in the day when road racing was done by the BCF and time trials the RTTC) was with those power numbers posted he could be a 1st Cat IF he could repeat those efforts... not Star Trophy winning 1st Cat rider but a not too shabby regional rider.

You mean now? All that's changed is BCF is now just called BC. Otherwise there are very few TT's run under BC, (outside of stage races I only know of 3 and they're 2-up / 4-up sporting ones)

We've not got his 5 minute power, but I agree the headline numbers are good enough to get to 1st cat with a bit of pot hunting in suitable races, however he will (like me) need races with longer than 1 minute deciding efforts, as that's week. With the many racers with Power here in the South East of England, I'd say the Coggan chart is not that accurate at all for the UK, but as Steve says it's not designed to be accurate outside of the extremes, and the extremes are in different disciplines.