Winter clothing for mountain biking

surgtech1956

Apr 10, 2007
This is my first winter riding and in need of inexpensive clothes to ride most of the winter in Michigan on trails. What about a soft shell jacket?

surgtech1956 said:
This is my first winter riding and in need of inexpensive clothes to ride most of the winter in Michigan on trails. What about a soft shell jacket?
I ride year round in Ontario and recommend the layer method...usually 3-4 layers, the top one should be windproof

Usually a thermal undershirt, under a tutleneck ski jersey, then a fleece layer, then a fleece lined jacket when temperatures a below -20C

Pay attention to the feet and hands...I use heavy duty ski gloves (stay away from the cheap stuff)...make sure they have a wind/water proof lining.

Footwear, usually two pairs of thermal socks inside waterproof hiking boots works OK, but on those cold days I have inulated Baffin Technology boots, with removable liners...waterproof and warm

Lined wind pants for around -10C...Flannel lined jeans when colder under wind pants

Trick is to stay dry if riding in snow/sleet...sometimes plastic grocery bags in the gloves and shoes are needed.

I've found it helps in temp below -20C to wear a balaclava...a thinsulate toque that covers the ears when warmer...a neck tube is good too

Happy trails and stay warm