Winter clothing

TrailRat

Guest
I froze this morning and didn't expect to neither. Left the house at
7am to go to High Beech, got half way (about 2 miles) and almost all my
extremities were numb. Fingers, toes, nose and even my knees were
starting to get numb too.

So I've made a practical decision to beef up my winter wardrobe. I
currently ride with Polaris Beanie under the helmet, a Heddy covering
my face and neck, lightweight windstopper jacket, jumper under that,
t-shirt under the jumper. Trousers are a pair of heavy duty combats,
normal socks and then my Diadoras. Not sure of the make. On my hands a
pair of Gore-Tex windstoppers.

So how would I go about beefing up this wardrobe. I know the shoes have
got to go because they let in water now. I have my eye on a pair I like
so that's off the request list. I do a lot of XC/Singletrack so
something suitable for that. Essentially I'm looking for a shopping
list for the New Year when the sales are on. Until then I'll ride later
in the day when it's warmer.

What I'm looking for - trousers or something to wear under combats
(apart from long johns), better jacket, better jumpers/fleeces,
suitable t-shirts/jerseys. Also something to help improve the gloves
would be nice. Obviously all this would have to let me breath.

Any other comments would be appreciated too.

I've always respected the opinion of the group so that's why I'm asking
again.

Thank You.

TR

"TrailRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I froze this morning and didn't expect to neither. Left the house at
> 7am to go to High Beech, got half way (about 2 miles) and almost all my
> extremities were numb. Fingers, toes, nose and even my knees were
> starting to get numb too.

How you dress depends on how far you want to go. Yesterday we set off for
our ride. About a half a mile in my fingers were cold. About 1.5 miles in I
was getting the pain you get when they're warming up. They were fine for the
rest of the ride - my body was warmed up and producing excess heat, some of
which kept my hands warm.

One thing I noticed recently was how much warmer my winter bibs are than my
ron hills - the roubaix-type fabric is distinctly lovely. So I'd recommend a
pair of such tights for your legs, if only as a base layer.

My lusso jersey/jacket thing is also very nice - again, not a loose fit.

Winter shoes have been mentioned many times on this group - they are the
business. Remember to get them big enough to wear two pairs of socks, one
thick. I'm deeply unfashionable, so my walking socks are quite long, which
keeps the lower calf warm.

cheers,
clive

"TrailRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What I'm looking for - trousers or something to wear under combats
> (apart from long johns), better jacket, better jumpers/fleeces,
> suitable t-shirts/jerseys. Also something to help improve the gloves
> would be nice. Obviously all this would have to let me breath.

Personally I find ordinary Lycra tights are ok as legs keep warm by working
but the winter weight brushed type are warmer yet, the thing is that if
Lycra gets wet it dries reasonably quickly wheras heavier fabrics won't.
Avoid cotton tees, they absorb and store perspiration which has a real
chilling effect, especially bad if you speed up and increase the wind chill.
My own favourite base layer is the Altura Inter, £20.00 from
www.wiggle.co.uk/, over this I wear an Endura (or similar) s/s jersey with
an Altura Altitude long sleeved jersey over that, this is finished off
with a Goretex shell and is good for sub-zero. If the temp rises
considerably I can dispense with either the s/s jersey or Altitude top and
bung it in the Camelbak.
Head's protected by a Buff or Sub Zero fleece balaclava.
Shimano W100's (now superceded by similar products) and walking socks for
dry road work or SealSkinz Merino socks if there's water about to keep the
feet cosy.
Currently I'm using SealSkinz Winter Gloves which ain't up to the task of
sub zero riding, formerly I used Pearl Izumi Lobster Claws which were great
(I'm going to see if I can source some more).
..
Hope this helps.
--
Pete
http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/Stuff

"TrailRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I know the shoes have
> got to go because they let in water now.

You could wear a pair of Porelle Dry socks under the Diadoras. Might not
need to swap them then.
I find that they're not the most comfortable things, particularly for long
distances, but they certainly keep your feet warm and dry. Mine only come
out in winter.

Mike

My normal winter gear for temps around freezing to -5
fleece hat
fleece face mask
fleece gloves
long sleeved thermal top
lined waterproof jkt
ron hilll tracksters
shimano cycling shoes

If it needs beefed up then I add a woolen jersey or fleeze top,
jogging bottoms on top of the Ron Hills, and neoprene overshoes

That has coped for a commute of 12 miles in around -10. The problems
I find at those temps are mechanical. Even with the bike kept indoors
at either end any moisture in the control cables freezes up and can jam
gear cables.
Iain

To improve your gloves, you might consider a pair of pure silk glove-liners
from somewhere like www.Patra.co.uk

I got a pair and they fit neatly under my Gore Windstoppers.

John

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My normal winter gear for temps around freezing to -5
> fleece hat
> fleece face mask
> fleece gloves
> long sleeved thermal top
> lined waterproof jkt
> ron hilll tracksters
> shimano cycling shoes
>
> If it needs beefed up then I add a woolen jersey or fleeze top,
> jogging bottoms on top of the Ron Hills, and neoprene overshoes
>
> That has coped for a commute of 12 miles in around -10. The problems
> I find at those temps are mechanical. Even with the bike kept indoors
> at either end any moisture in the control cables freezes up and can jam
> gear cables.
> Iain

Sorry, that should read: www.patra.com

"Charlie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> To improve your gloves, you might consider a pair of pure silk
> glove-liners from somewhere like www.Patra.co.uk
>
> I got a pair and they fit neatly under my Gore Windstoppers.
>
> John
>
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> My normal winter gear for temps around freezing to -5
>> fleece hat
>> fleece face mask
>> fleece gloves
>> long sleeved thermal top
>> lined waterproof jkt
>> ron hilll tracksters
>> shimano cycling shoes
>>
>> If it needs beefed up then I add a woolen jersey or fleeze top,
>> jogging bottoms on top of the Ron Hills, and neoprene overshoes
>>
>> That has coped for a commute of 12 miles in around -10. The problems
>> I find at those temps are mechanical. Even with the bike kept indoors
>> at either end any moisture in the control cables freezes up and can jam
>> gear cables.
>> Iain
>>

> Any other comments would be appreciated too.

I did 225 Km yesterday, started at 07:30 and it was about -4 celcius. I
wore

double layer hat with built in ear muffs + santa hat

buff

stringvest+long sleeve thermal+ windstoper gilet+windtex jersey

Altura pilot gloves

bib shorts+roubaix bib tights

calf length ski socks+ cycling shoes+1mm neoprene over shoes

my feet were cold for a while but I warmed them up by scrunching them
inside my shoe, once I'd sorted that out I was fine.

Mike_P wrote:
> "TrailRat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > I know the shoes have
> > got to go because they let in water now.

> You could wear a pair of Porelle Dry socks under the Diadoras. Might not
> need to swap them then.
> I find that they're not the most comfortable things, particularly for long
> distances, but they certainly keep your feet warm and dry. Mine only come
> out in winter.
>
> Mike

I had some Porelle drys and they were ****. Uncomfortable, but worse -
they filled with water if it rained at all hard - then feet stayed wet
for the rest of the day even if the rest of you had completely dried
out. They only keep water out if you also have waterproof trousers and
if you don't get splashed. Otherwise they keep water in! Probably OK
for golfers pottering about, but not for active outdoor pursuits.
I got my money back from the makers after a big argument with the shop.
The advertising was dishonest as it showed people wading through
mountain streams and cycling with bare legs in the rain - both
situations in which they would be utterly useless.

cheers

Jacob

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 11:48:03 -0800, TrailRat wrote:

> So I've made a practical decision to beef up my winter wardrobe. I
> currently ride with Polaris Beanie under the helmet, a Heddy covering my
> face and neck, lightweight windstopper jacket, jumper under that, t-shirt

Sta